When away from the DR what is an easy way to pay someone. . . .

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
What is the easyest way to send someone a payment? Can I just mail them a check in US dollars? Or do people with web access usally use paypal, or some other service?

-Lee

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ha ha. MAIL! Ho-ho-he-he-he. Postal Service Mail? Ha ha ha Jajajajaja! ROTFLMAO. Mail? What's that! Ha ha.

Ahem. OK. I took a pill. I am OK now. I haven't seen an ENVELOPE since I left the US and you ask about MAILING a CHECK. hah ahahah ha ha h ja jaja Ho hohoo heee whoweee!

Sorry. A relapse!

Seriously, mail service is non-existant.

1) If they have a real address and a relationship with an exchange house, send a paper U.S. check via FedEx. No problem and they will get top dollar.

2) PayPal is OK but they'd have to have a PayPal account, and a PayPal ATM card to access it, which normally requires a US address to get.

3) Western Union is works fine but you don't generally get as much for the dollar. Still we did that for awhile after we arrived.

4) If they have a bank account it can be wired right to their account, but with the current economic climate I would be wary of sending dollars to Dominican accounts (see some of the other threads by the Goddess Pib and Golo today).

Hope that helps.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lee, please clarify. Do you want to send money to someone in the DR for another country, or to someone in another country from the DR. Are you talking about sending money to an individual, or to a company to, for example, pay for something you are purchasing.

I'm in the US. I send checks to the US via the mail using the EPS mail service. If I pay for a service or purchase, I often do so with a credit card online.

If outside the DR and trying to get money to someone in the country, it isn't as easy. If I got a check sent me via my EPS address, I would have no trouble cashing it because I have a check-cashing arrangement with an exchange bank. Absent this arrangement, it could be difficult, although many exchange banks indicate they cash checks.

A great many Dominicans have money sent to the from the US by Western Union, but the charges for this are very, very high.

Are you talking about a few dollars, or $100 or more?

Last edited:

Harmony

Apr 18, 2002
You can try one of the debit card systems such as ChexCard. Try www.chexcard.com. You can refill card on regular basis. Some people use it for overseas payroll. If it's hush hush money you can try Liquid Privacy linked to the Digital Monetary Trust.

Best wishes,

Harmony

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ltsnyder said:
pay some one in the DR while I sit in the US.

What does this person say? He/she is the best one to ask. Everything you get on the board is going to be general in nature, and unusable if it isn't feasible as far as the person you want to get the money to. Especially since we know absolutely nothing about the person.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Everyone knocks the DR postal service! We can qoute friends who have PO Boxes in Sosua and receive ALL mail which is sent to it! How do they know? They ran a check on all mail sent from only those who know the box address in Canada and the USA and to date - touch wood - nothing has ever gone missing! It sometimes takes a while to get to the box, but the system works.
It's a great idea to have a PO Box locally as it's somewhere to receive all that mail from your bank, local societies and the usual junk mail - that way it doesn't cost you via EPS through your Miami mail address, keep that for important stuff.

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
I live in Boston and I had a family member in La Romana who I wanted to send money to. I didn't go to Westen Union but I did go to a place like Westen Union and they wired the money to their branch in La Romana and took it right to their door. It wasn't that expensive and they give you a choice of giving the person the money in US$ or DR$. I'm pretty sure there are lots of this type of business in major cities.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
What MONCHI8 said is correct: money could be hand-delivered to your door in US$, but this is only feasible if sender uses alternative Casas de Envios that are found in US cities with large Dominican populations like Lawrence, Boston, Providence, NYC, Miami and SJ. Mainstream houses like Western Union and MoneyGram may not do this. At least, that's what they have told me.

J.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have some friends who use this method and it seems to work well, but I don't know the details, such as the amount of ATM fees and how this would stack up against the amount being paid:

1) Get a debit card from a US bank account (should be a new account used only for this purpose)

2) Give it to the person you want to pay regularly, along with the PIN #.

3) Make the deposits regularly and let them withdraw the cash from an ATM machine here in the country.

lperez

Jun 17, 2002
We send money all the time through small stores that have Quisqueyana. It's kind of a western union but cheaper. You need to know the persons name, phone # and what City they live in. Address is not needed as long as the phone # is good. We have a large Dominican Community here in Boston so it might be because of that. I know it is in NY as well.

Good luck,

Lori