DR1 news article: Long blackouts affecting life in North?

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Have there been long blackouts in Pueto Plata? I remember short 15 minute blackouts in June. Evidently the DR1 article seem to state since customers are finding they are unable to pay the distributers, and thus the distributers can pay the producers, the producers can but the coal or what ever to run the plant. ANy one notice any long blackouts on the north coast?

-Lee

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
No more than usual here in Cabarete! Out for most of the day near the end of the month - perhaps they run short of cash for fuel or something until the bills are paid? Longest outage this week was for probably 10-12 hours?

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Wish it were that nice in Costambar

It used to be 10 -15 minutes here or there... an hour or two was "a bad one". Here in Costambar we have had about an three hours of electricity in the past three days.... it is getting worse and worse. They are getting longer and more frequent. I just got power today after a time period of over 24 hours.

T

TiberiusMineola

Cofresi - POP - electricity

The situation in Cofresi is abour the same as Costambar. No electicity for 22 - 24 - 26 hours to date [6aug; 5:00 PM.]. I personally don't remembr the outgages being this bad for 2 - 4 years. The government appears to have lost control of the electricity siutation. Legally? Morally? Who's at fault? Will we ever know? Shouldn't a World Bank receivership be the next logial step? Food for thought.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Costambar Update

Lost it this morning at 4 am... got it back at 6pm... someone shoot the power plant operator...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Shoot the people not paying the power bills. The number one delinquent? The Dominican government.

Hard to see why any company would want to use their money to generate power for you at a loss to them.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
FINE WITH ME!

XR,

I do not care who has to be shot. I just want some power... then again I want alot of things... I rarely ever get them all!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yesterday went off at about 10.30, came back sometime early in the morning hours. More than 24 hours.

This morning at 9.00 no juice - still no juice.

Yes, the blackouts are getting longer and more frequent just 6 minutes out of Cabarete. I've noticed this from about the beginning of July - just progressively worse. Longer and more frequent.

We've also received our first electricity bill ANM. A cool RD$15,310.37 for three months. It never exceeded RD$1,800 per month at the most BNM.

ANM = after new meter..
BNM = before new meter..

In the mean time - we are running the generator for longer and longer hours. So, in my dumb reasoning - more generator consumption = less Edenorte consumption.

But in Ede Norte's reasoning - New Meter = Bigger Bill --- and More Generator = Bigger Bill.

We're seriously getting off this grid now. At these prices, in one fell swoop it has become economically viable.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Cris do you use an air conditioner . . . . .

If you do , and on a regular basis, your true bill might be about $3000.00 RD or more. If your not using air conditioning on a regular baisis and have no real electrical guzzler, the I have no explaination for your bill.

-Lee

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Power.

Me and my big mouth! We're now suffering the worst outages since we've been here!!!
Wonder if they've stolen all the power for SD and those bloody Pan Am Games??
Good DR1 article yesterday on why this is happening too!
Power guzzlers - since we turned off the hot water heater and relied purely on the solar panel we've saved over RD$1000 per month!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
protest

Almost 10.30 and no juice yet - the 2nd day. Anyone in Cabarete want to join me for a protest? I believe all we need is some gasoline and some old tires. ;) A few presidente's will also be nice! Anything to escape from the muted roar of the generator.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris does not have AC.

I am going to get a big generator, cut the EDE NORTE lines and put a few in.

Just got back to Xanadu from our house in SW Santiago where we spent the night. Power went out like 10 minutes after we walked in at about 5PM. Didn't come back on until 3:30AM.

A hot, breezless uncomfortable night without even being able to turn the fan on. We sat on the front patio tiles drinking wine, eating pizza, and watching the only electricity around - some lightning off in the distance. OK braniacs! Let's figure out how to set up a lightning collector Frankenstein style to power our AC's!

Tom (aka XR)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Really!

Peter & Alex said:
The power in Cabarete today is on and off more often than a whore's drawers!

And just how my good friend would you know exactly how often that is? Hmmmmm?

Tom (aka XR) :classic:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Tom(XR),
Good question? As a young British soldier with no permission to go on UK home leave, two of us spent Xmas and New Year 1963/64 in a whorehouse in Bangkok! Best holiday we ever had, and we had a Xmas tree and presents!
Makes me tired just thinking about it!
Peter

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ah ... Bangkok! Got there a little after you did, 1989 or so. Still a great place. And the power works almost all the time there. Grrrr!

Bet you just hated getting ... ah ... stuck there. :: groan :: Oh! I guess that was the girl's problem! Sorry!

But seriously folks, so you're getting outages basically at the same time as Chris up the road in Islabon? I was told when I bought Xanadu we were in a little better shape because we were connected to the plants both in Puerto Plata, and to the east. I forget where that is now. So if one was down, probably the other would not be. So far no huge problems here at XR. Miserable though in Santiago last night. And our house there is between two colleges/universities by the old Olympic stadiums. Good area, good infrastructure. I was surprised to lose power there for 11 hours. Guess I have to get an inverter and batteries for that house as well.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: perpetual motion machine

Chris said:
What about a perpetual motion machine - Come-on, you're the rocket scientist! Here are a few designs to get started...

Nah, I think we need to bring Rube Goldberg back for this Christa. Since you weren't familiar with him here's a link for you. I think we need to search his drawing archives for a solution. Let's offer any findings of merit to Leonel - for a hefty fee and a no-show job of course. Ah! The days I'll spend at CC's love shack!

http://www.rube-goldberg.com/html/shop_window.htm

Rube never had anything on the ways my Dominican friends (injuneers) can hose things back together, though. Right Eddy?

Tom (aka XR)

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Power no problem

Hate to make everybody feel bad but at our casa in the urbanization up the hill behind Coca Cola on the east side of Puerto Plata everything is normal.
We are on the private (Selman) grid that services Playa Dorada and we NEVER have an outage. Of course we can only drink Coke
(haha).
Guess it's the right place at the right time scenerio.