today's meeting at Central Bank

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sure that tomorrow's papers will be full of information on the meeting that took place in the Auditorium of the Central Bank this afternoon. By chance I caught a lot of it on TV. It was interesting to say the least.

"They" were all there. The panel was Julio Cross, former superintendent of electricity and now Superintendent of Banks; Sonia Guzm?s de Hern?ndez, the Minister for commerce and Industry; Carlos Despradel, former Central Bank governor and now Minister for Technical Stuff for the President; Jos? Lois Malkum, former Minister of finance and now governor of the Central Bank; and Rafael Calder?n, now Minister of Finance.

"They" were in the audience, too: Marisol; Elena; Johnny, Andy, don Mario, Lisandro, most of the Central Bank staff-Calvo and Co. and the Finance staff, Pastora, Perez Cuevas and Co.

the government announced the Letter of Intention that was submitted to the International Monetary Fund, and tried to explain just what this implied to the DR. it is incredible how theybelieve their own lies!. This morning, Pedro Silverio, the economist that works at the PUCMM in Santo Domingo wrote an article for El Caribe where he showed, using Central Banks own figures, just how the government is lying to the people.

When people from the audience asked the panel about government spending Despradel and Malkum continued the now hackneyed phrase of "external forces" , and the Baninter problems, when any thinking person knows that it is excess government spending and government corruption that has us in this situation.

Malkum admitted that as much as 40% of the government payroll was dead weight.

I sat there and yelled at the TV. it was frustraating.

When Elena Viyella de Paliza stood up and said her piece she was treated like a little girl: "Well Elena, you have to understand...." bullschitt! She knows just what is going on and so do the members of Conep. Johnny Bernal-not one of my favorite people-stood up and told the panel that what Elena had said was not her opinion but rather the opinion of the entire private business sector in the Dominican Republic!

I can't wait to see what the press carries tomorrow.

On a lighter note, one reporter, well spoken, asked Julio Cross about the takeover of the Banco Mercantil by an investor that bought it for US$45 million. Cross laughed and said he had better check his sources since this was not happening and that the Banco Mercantil was fine, thank you.

HB, hoping GOLO chimes in here