best merengue

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
where can i find the top 50 or 100 merengues in SANTO DOMINGO?
please dont send me to a site with boricua merengue!!!
that goes for golo!!!!!;)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mereco

I am glad someone is buying or attempting to buy merengue music, since not even Dominicans buy this stuff. That is of course, unless you want to download for free.

TW

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
mereco said:
where can i find the top 50 or 100 merengues in SANTO DOMINGO?
please dont send me to a site with boricua merengue!!!
that goes for golo!!!!!;)

What is "boricua" merengue?
I saw that word in an article I was reading about the late Celia Cruz and I couldn't find that word even in my unabridged spanish dictionary. Also I couldn't find "Guarachera" or something like that they kept referring to her. I am pitifully ignorant of caribbean spanish. Any help appreciated.
BTW golo, I do buy merengue. There's a real glut of those compilation CDs on places like Half.com and I just stock up for about a buck a CD. A year ago I hated merengue. Now I can't live without it. Go figure. I guess it put a spell on me.
st louis mike
yo voy a volar!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mike,
Boricua refers to anything being from Puerto Rico. I could be wrong. The other word I don't know.

To add
Mereco,try this site till you find something else. It was started by two Dominican Boys that now live in New York. They have 24 hr music on paltalk.

Last edited:

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
SLM...

Guarachera(o)...from the word 'guaracha'

Guaracha: Cuban song and dance.

Merengue-merenguero(a)

Salsa-salsero

Rock-rocker

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
i knew you would have a comment golo ......not every one thinks like you ...maybe one day you will learn that:mad:

im trying to download free merengues ,im going thru kakaa but they dont give much if you just input merengue ......i want some new merengues but dont want the water down elvis crespo,maquina,karis ....wannabe merengueros :confused:

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Great link Anna! Thanks for sharing...

Mereco - Download WinMx. It's the cleanest file sharing system I've found. You won't have the spyware and other crap that comes with Kazaa and the likes.

Then go to LA Ritmo. You will find up-to-date charts with recent songs divided up by music category.

Hope this helps!

Sep 20, 2003
i have read that trujillo had a few merengue songs that were known to be his favorites.

in the early 1970's a "white" album of these songs was sold on dominican streets. it was an extremely popular record. the government banned it and police seized the remaining copies.

could someone please list trujillo's favorite merengue songs?

who was trujillo's favorite musician?

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
could someone please list trujillo's favorite merengue songs?
Compadre Pedro Juan
San Cristobal
Era Gloriosa
San Rafael
Seguire A Caballo
Padre de la Patria Nueva
Recogiendo Limosna (No Lo Tumban)

were among a few of the late megalomaniac's favorite merengues.

who was trujillo's favorite musician?
Probably Luis Alberti.

-Indie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ah Yes,"The Good Ol Days"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard that they actually had electricity in those days,so they could listen to music!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:cool: :cool:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In the days we were there in Santiago, post Trujillo, we had apagones every other night. Otherwise, we usually had electricity. On Sundays we went to the tabacalera there was a hall there and we would dance to merengue and American music. There would be a couple of bands, and they would alternate. Only 1 apagon I can remember.
mk

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
There are a lot of Merengue songs that you can download from Kazaa, but you have to put in he singers name ex. Jhonny Ventura, Bonny Cepeda, Sergio Vargas...La Toro Band .....etc. you can also hear live concerts and mixes you will always get a more info if you actually know what the singers name is.

Moniki

Oct 6, 2003
I don't know of any sites in particular, but you can pretty much buy anything from the following groups/artists at any online store:
FYE.com, walmart.com or do a search using the names

Los Toros Band
Eddy Herrera
Los Potros del Caballo
etc etc

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Gisselle
Olga Tanon
Melina Leon
(let's give the ladies their due)

Chichi Peralta
Grupo Mania
La Makina
Rikarena

Those are my faves.

SLM
(geez, I can't believe somebody resurrected this old thread)

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
Fernando Villalona (El Mayimbe)
Luis Segura
Juan Luis Guerra
Milly Quezada
Ruby Perez
Los Hermanos Rosario