Seguro Social

Happyhare

Jun 26, 2003
I was watching news tonight... A news just happened to get into my way. It's from Mexico. The news stated that the social security system is crumbling in Mexico. Few more years the social security in Mexico will not be able to sustain their hospitals and pay off the retired.

This news brings me to think about what DR is trying to start. Is it another one of those big mistakes that we should learn by getting hurt? Mexico has already dealt with social security for many many years already. And we are just starting... This gives me creeps... I am thinking that our social security system will go down the same road!!

Apr 26, 2002
As with almost everything in the DR, it would seem to make no sense to start social security here. But that's only because you're not thinking like a Dominican tiguere politico. If you will, then you'll realize that this is just another way of funnelling money from the poor and middle class (is there one anymore) to the elite and political class.

Just remember, everything that happens here has an angle and a purpose, it's just that it's almost always a sordid one.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
In paper, actuarially speaking, the program looks good; however, there is a problem: this kind of system only works in rich countries. Even rich countries that have this kind of system are facing solvency issues, deeps cuts and/or higher taxes to fund their obligations. This program was formulated during the Dominican economic bubble, and was based on what now is very rosy growth assumptions. But that will be for some future government to deal with, not this one.