Hair braiding- Cabarete

carrot

Aug 4, 2003
One for the ladies!

Sitting here in England, absolutely freezing at 34 degrees C, the two ladies in my life, my wife and my daughter, having read posts regarding getting ripped of when getting your hair braided would like to know if there is a local hairdresser of preference in Cabarete who does a good job for the right price?

Peter & Alex, this sounds like one for you!

Thanks for your attention.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
seriously though my missus had hers done on the streets a couple of weeks ago for a laugh.....cost 500 pesos and only lasted 4 days until she had to take it out coz it was driving her nuts.

The answer is to haggle seriously.

carrot

Aug 4, 2003
Hair braidig

gjsuk

Thanks for the info and if your first reply referred to the temperature? I am not kidding you! On wednesday it was 36C!!!!

carrot

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
no it was because my good mate Peter has no possibility of ever utilising a hair-braiding service!!!!!!!

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Hair Braiding in Cabarete

Sit on the beach on a sunday... and if you are a female you will be approached. My sis and I were at Lax a couple of weeks ago and were approached. They wanted 50 USD each... we did not want to get it done anyway, I just wanted to look at the pictures, because I find some of the styles absolutely beautiful. Anyway, after 20 minutes of telling them no thank you in anyway we can imagine, the last offer we had was $15 USD for BOTH OF US! LOL... it dropped 85USD in 20 minutes... so just keep saying no and really act like you do not want it... and they will keep lowering the price.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I had mine done at Playa Dorada for 100 pesos. That really is rock bottom, as I have a lot of hair. The lady knew the family I stayed with.

Things hurt so bad they were out in 2 days.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have it done, be careful in the sun. The braiding exposes portions of the scalp to the sun that otherwise are covered by your hair.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Hair Braiding?

Hate it!!! Especially in white women/girls! It's a rip off, looks terrible and I'm glad it hurts!!
The girls who do this in Cabarete are not local, they speak that other Haitian language and seem to prey on everyone - except me of course. (Lookie lookie in the pix gallery n you'll see why)? They pounce on men and women and before they know it you have a couple of beads in your hair! Then they start at US$50 until you say NO! enough times and then it drops to around RD$500. Still a waste of money cos'everyone I know who had it done just had to have it taken out within a couple of days cos' it hurts so much. Too tight as the Actress said to the Bishop! AND then the sunburn sets in - have a happy holiday!
On a more serious note - Alex uses the 2 young Jugoslavian hairdressers on Calle Principale who are quite good (opposite BHD Bank), but - 1 price for tourists, 1 price for residents! Peter uses the little shack just outside of the east end of town - No.1 all over please and turn that freakin' music down!
Hey Graham - sort your own bees out, that is if you can ever get your gate open now that I've fixed it??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I asked some of my students for just this answer

They told me that between RD$300 and RD$500 depending on what was done. And those were salon prices, not on the beach. I liked GirlieGirl's answer..Haggle....

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Like Peter & Alex, I actually don't like the girls in Cabarete - they are too pushy - Grabbed my little granddaughter one day and before I could say no, they already had beads in her hair, in her hands and in her mouth. They were not very happy when I shouted at them, patiently 'unbeaded' the little one, gave the beads back and refused to pay. Now they give me 'the evil eye' when I walk past.