A question for mothers (or new man fathers!)

Gaynor

Aug 9, 2003
Hello,

I was wondering if there was anyone on this board who might be able to answer a few questions for me about being a mother in the DR??

My husband is trying to convince me to move to the DR, but I am not convinced, the problem is that we have an 18 month old son.
If it were just the two of us I would be on the plane already, but I have serious doubts about taking my son to a country where things such as health and education seem to be of a lower standard than the UK. Moreover there seems to me to be a greater danger from accident and illness. If we do move to the DR then it will be to the North Coast.

Could anybody give me some information on the level of schooling I might expect to find and its associated costs? Also I would welcome opinions from anyone who lives in the DR already with or without children, about what they think are the plus points and negative points of having children over there.

I await your responses, and thankyou in advance.

Gaynor

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I can only assume that this is motivated . . . .

Sounds like you doing this because your running out of money. If you have any money you can spare, go down there and see for yourself. If you have money , it is a very cheap place to raise a child (unless you insist on airconditioning). However it is very hard to make money there. Tell us more about your financial situation and the reason you don't have time to visit first. Another issue is the social factor, remember women have a difficult legal situation there when it comes to divorce, that is partially why this is such a male players heaven. If your man just seems to be trying to talk you into going there without a explained reason then the hiar on the back of your neck should stand on end.

-Lee

Gaynor

Aug 9, 2003
It's not a money issue

Thanks for your considered response Lee,

Money isnt the issue, I have been to the country twice before but only stayed in the resorts around Bavaro.
When I went the country seemed very poor from what I saw (with the exception of the resorts ofcourse)
It is since then that we have had our child and decided that we no longer want to live in the UK, my husband has done more research on this matter than me (we origionally considered Australia but immigration is a little difficult to say the least) I have personally no problems at all living in the DR, all I want is whats best for my child....after all he has to live with the choices we make for him.
So, is it a good place to raise a child from a safety and educational perspective?

Thanks

Gaynor

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Gaynor - First thing I would do is use the search function on this board and read through the "Living" section of this website. A massive amount of useful information is at your finger tips.

I'm from the UK, have lived in Australia and now live in the DR, so can compare all three. In my opinion, Australia is the best country on this planet to bring up a family.

The DR...

The best schools you will find in Santo Domingo, Santiago and also a good one in La Romana. So it can also be about what part of the country you want to or have to live in. If you have just spent your time in Bavaro, then you are fooling yourself that you know anything about the DR. I suggest you spend at least 6 month here to get to know the country before you make up your mind.

Schools...

Depending on what you consider good schooling, the DR can be very expensive compared to the UK. The good schools are private schools and the good ones have monthly fees. By the time you add in the monthly fees and extra bits and pieces it can easily cost US$500-1000 monthly, some schools will cost you more. As I said, all depends on the level of education you want for your kid.

I'm sure you will get a few more responses from people with kids here...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no easy answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there was,I would know what to do!
I lived in Boston Massachusetts for 25 years before moving here 8 years ago.I have a 24 year old son that still lives in Boston.He is at the Univ. of Mass.,and wants to get a Phd. in International Studies.
Now,I have a 6 year old son here,a 13 month old daughter,and another daughter due in November.What the hell should "I" do?????
Do you want to come here to raise a proper little Englishman,or do you want to raise a "Dominicanito" who will be the best Dominican that he can be?
If you have a lot of money,as Robert said, you can send your son to a fine English language school,and then to England for "University"! Then he can stay in England and you will have raised your "Little Englishman"!
Only you know the answers to those questions,I don't.
I think that "Hillbilly" is your best source of information.He came her with "Colombus",and found a beautiful Dominican wife,and has raised some fine children,and is now working on his grandchildren,I think I want to be like him!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would certainly second Robert's suggestions

If you can afford a good school, in Spanish, they are modest compared to what Robert talked about. Closer to $100 a month pluse a few odds and ends. Some cost as much as university, but that is still cheap compared to the USA or Europe.

None of the really good schools or medical facilities are on the North Coast.

You would have to live in Santo Domingo, or Santiago.

Now if you want English language schools, some of which are good and some are not so good, then the cost goes up significantly. Again you have choices.

However, you have to think a bit longer range: Where do you want to be in 15 years or 20 years? Will your child (ren) be living here or will they go back to the UK? If they are going to live in this environment they can certainly get a very good education at Spanish speaking schools, learn their English at home, or on trips to camps or vacations in an English speaking environment.

As far as health is concerned, if your child(ren) is / are healthy, you can get fine care for them. (I re-read that and think it needs clarification: By 'healthy', I meant normal children without handicaps or important health concerns) That should not be a concern for taking or not taking the move. They can get all the shots, innoculations and vaccines that are required. What you saw around B?varo is NOT the whole country. The resorts were carved out of some of the most desolate and uninhabited areas of the DR. The major axis of cities (Santo Domingo, La Vega, San Francisco, Moca, Santiago and Puerto PLata) are very connected to the modern world. And places like Mao, Azua and Ban? are very modern, in some areas. This is not a totally backward country for a significant proportion of the population. For a near majority, it is, unfortunately. Education for the masses is poor, and so is health care. But, again, even in these cases there are notable exceptions. Like Robert said: "You have to live here for at least 6 months to start to learn about some of the nuances"

Yeah, I know he didn't say all of that but that is what he meant.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Gaynor - check your PM list for some detailed information!

Criss - I don't think it is as rigid as you describe. A foreign couple living here will not raise a 'Dominicanito' because their home life will not be anything like Dominican. They will speak English at home, read English books, eat different food etc. The child will most probably go to a bilingual/English school where he will be surrounded by a mixture of children: Dominican, children of expats, children of foreigners married to Dominicans etc. He will not grow up a proper little 'Englishman' (whatever that may be) either.

In your case and mine the children will have more Dominican influence because one of their parents is Dominican. I speak as a child of parents from different countries who grew up in three different countries: I never embraced one single identity. On the whole the experience has been enriching, but it also has its problems.

Chiri

Gaynor

Aug 9, 2003
Now I know what a PM is!

Hi,

Thanks for the info Chiri, what you said made a lot of sense.

I would like to thank everyone else for their comments also, I too however am not sure exactly what a 'proper little englishman' is? I think to find that kind of behaviour you need to either go back to the upper middle classes of the victorian age or alternatively the landed gentry of today, and even then I think that would prove to be diluted (even Tony Blair's son was arrested for being drunk and disorderly!!

I have researched many areas of information since I started this thread and I think that I have now reached the only sensible conclusion and that is to give it a go.

Gaynor

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
DR is kid's paradise!

Geynor, sorry I haven't seen this thread before, I would have replied earlier.
I live at the Northcoast, I have a 6 year old very active daughter, born here in the DR. I am so glad, that she has the oportunity to grow up in the DR. Since my daughter is born I went back to Europe only once for a 2 week visit, when I really noticed the big difference.
For children growing up, the DR is a true paradise:
- it starts with the climate. All year, no need for warm, uncomfortable cloths, the child can play outside every day.
- children love water. Here they can play every day in it, at the beach or (if you have) a pool at home
- speaking of the beach: your child won't find a bigger sand playground in Europe
- Dominicans just love children. They adore them, allways want to play with them and make them happy. Your child will love them, and will grow up without being afraid of adults/strangers.
- here nobody will tell you that your child is too loud or misbehaving. Children can express themselves here as much as they want. Even when your toodler throughs a temper in a nice restaurant, you never will get the "bad look" from your table neighbor or waiter (unless maybe he is not Dominican). The Dominican waiter will try to help you to calm you child down (most times successfully) and won't make you feel embarrased.
- ok, you never can be 100% sure, but since the Dominicans like children so much, I feel very save here for my child. I'm not worried at all, that my daughter could be kidnapped (and worst). I don't feel here the little uneasyness when my daughter is out of my sight like I did in Europe.
- it's very cheap here compared to Europe to get a baby sitter. You will find easily somebody you will trust to leave you child with, so you and your husband can go out together and have some quiet time.
- even if you continue to speak English at home you will be amazed how quick your child will learn Spanish. Isn't that one of the greatest gifts you can give your child, learning languages so simple.?

In Sosua/Puerto Plata there are lots of good schools. International School, Garden Kids, Learning Center, Nueva Vida, Learning Tree... just to mention a few. I'm sure you will find a school, which will satisfy you and your budget.

I hope you and your child move soon here, then you will find out yourself how much better and easier life is here when raising a child.