Insects

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
What is the bug situation in Cabarete in September?

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mosquitos

Just a lot of mosquitos. I just use "OFF" mosquito repellant and they leave me alone.
Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hlywud said:
But what about all those huge taratula spiders, that invade the town, you know like the ones in the movie.

I would have mentioned them, but the question was about September.

carrot

Aug 4, 2003
Tarantulas

if you're going to fry them, place in freezer for two hours, it slows the metabolism down and they dont scream.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
killed a good sized centipede in the house the other day. I broke the shovel I used to kill it and had to use a club to finish it off.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Yeh, those 6" little monsters are nasty!! We've had two so far in the past 2 months. They come up out of the septic tank. If their sting doesn't kill you, I'm sure that some god awful disease would.

We're buying a great big bottle of Draino.

Dainne

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
By the way, Aunt Clara's has a wonderful recipe for a lite beer batter that should work well for the "T's". I personally would add a little extra salt, but singe them first over an open flame. Gets rid of most of those annoying little hairs.

Dianne

carrot

Aug 4, 2003
Centipedes- now you're talking!

In Britain we find that if you marinate them in Dominican rum (hope that's good enough to keep the thread going), they walk onto the bar-b-que, doing the merengue and they feed 100 people (one leg each).

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You know, of course, that you are all very sick.

Supermercado Playero in Sosua sells the little metal snips that smash and cut the legs open so you can get at the meat inside the Trantualas legs for about $100 pesos. They also have a nice little lemon/lime sauce para tarantulas in a plastic bottle for $50 pesos.

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
patbro said:
You know, of course, that you are all very sick.

Yeah! we know - we all self-medicate but it does not always work.

More seriously Patbro, there usually are very few mosquitos on Cabarete beach and you will most probably not see any other little bug at all - depends where you stay and what you do. We live quite out of town on a farm and we seldom have problems with bugs - nothing that we cannot keep under control and certainly nothing worse than, say Florida.

Keep some Off or something like that handy, for tours into more jungly areas and you'll be just fine.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, they are!

Don't sweat it....

You won't see anything nasty of six or eight legged variety unless you go looking for them under old logs or in stoneheaps, none of which are around the resorts.

Now, if you want to see some, come to Santiago and we can walk or ride the golf course in the evening and look for some out hunting for dinner.

HB