Sosua vs Samana

Buteo2u

Aug 3, 2003
Shy Lurker coming out...

I am very appreciative of this forum and all the great info, thank you.
What has brought me out of the closet is a group called Tropical Pathways. They conduct investment tours to Panama, Roatan and the DR. While I was looking into them I discovered that they don't take their tours to Sosua. When I asked why that was they said the areas that are the best investments in the DR are Punta Cana and the Samana Penninsula. As I have not seen many posts about those areas I thought I would ask for some discussion on the subject. Just doing my homework :cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board, Buteo2u.

I have lived in both Samana and Sosua, though much longer in Samana. Right now we prefer to live in Sosua because life is easier in many ways. Supermarkets are better, as are medical services. Puerto Plata is very close and is a good source of whatever you might not find in Sosua. And Santiago is very easy to get to. It is the country's 2nd largest city and is much easier to get around in than Santo Domingo.

The Samana area is more beautiful. It is probably the most beautiful part of the island. And it has tremendous potential for development. Some day it may be a very desirable place to live.

When we arrived in Samana in 1986, we could see the beauty and potential. But, for a variety of reasons, not much has changed since then.

Frankly, I would be very leary of an investment company that only sent people to Samana. If you are asking whether you should participate, my advice would be not, at least not until you have visited the country and done some investigation of at least several areas.

Only you know what you are looking for; no area of the country has it all. Forget the investment tour to Samana and come on your own and explore. You should spend some time in Sosua, and also in Cabarete, in addition to Samana.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Those of us that live in Samana know that not only is it a place of incredible natural beauty but that it is also holds great promise. The quality of life on our beautiful peninsula is hard to beat although the business climate needs further development. But that will come and business will improve overall with the new international airport and the new Santo Domingo to Samana highway. Samana is easily one of the best parts of the Dominican Republic.
If you have any further questions you can PM me here on DR1 and also be sure and check out my new website for Samana, www.samanaonline.com which should be up on the 'net in a few more weeks. It contains far more local information and photographs than any other Samana-related site currently on the 'net (including my old one).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Welcome Buteo2u! This board offers more advice than any investmnet tour could ever give you. Plus it's unbiased real world advice.

Many posters on this board are investers in the DR.
They live here, have seen it all, the good and the bad.

I suggest you post all you concerns and questions.

T

TiberiusMineola

One Gringo's 2 cents ! ! !

I'm an American; I've been living in the DR for 7 pleasant, occasionally trying, years. I'm living in Puerto Plata, the result of Caribbean drift more than conscious decision making. I've lived for short periods of time in several DR towns & cities. My votes for the best DR places to live? Las Terrenas & Jarabacoa - tied for 1st. Samana, Costanza, & Puerto Plata - 2nd. Azua & Bani - Honorable Mention. Luperon? Worth a sniff. Santiago? Out of the question. The Pittsburgh of the DR. Sosua? Not my cup of tea. One man's opinion. Suggestion: live in each areaa your hear recommended for 2 - 3 months; then, listen to your inner voices. Your location will emerge. Enjoy!

Buteo2u

Aug 3, 2003
Thanks everybody, it all comes down to checking it out for myself, paying attention to the posts and getting my fanny down there! Which I hope will happen in Jan if not sooner.
Milette

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Tiberius - Tell us more about your #1 choices. I've heard of the 2 areas, but don't know where they are in relation to Sosua/POP.

What are the major advantages and any disadvantages?

Thanks.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Las Terranas is in the Samana peninsula in the Northeast. Very beautiful but too rustic for me to actually be able to live there. Jarabacoa is a beuatiful river area in the mountains SW of Santiago. Haven't been there yet but we've been planning a few days of river rafting any week now. Ahem. Are you listening Chris?

P.S.
I don't think I've ever been to Pittsburgh, but that sounded like a slam Tiberius! Now the questions were you insulting Pittsburgh, Santiago, or both? LOL!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sure he was talking about

The "City of Three Rivers" that always beat the crap out of the Viqueens!!. Not Santiago.

However, Santiago is the Heart of the Country. It is, however, a city of 700,000, perhaps ten to twenty time larger than most of the other places he mentioned.

Jarabacoa is beautiful, one of my favorite places. Saman? is heaven.

Buteo2u: The area around Punta Cana is incredible, no doubt, and all of the local magnates are investing millions, dollars or pesos, out there. The place called Cap Cana is going to have three Jack Nicklaus golf courses to START with. La Romana now has four Pete Dye courses. Empty lots are going for $40,000, I heard.

HB