I guess any one can design a house. . . .

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Sounds like the Dominican Republic design approval process requires certification from a number of govenmental departments with in the DR. However, it also seems that there are no legal requirements to who is able to submit a design (as long as it hass no design flaws that prevent the design from being approved). SO I guess I can make the statement any one with the proper equipemnet to produce Size A paper Architectural drawing, can submit a design, however approval will depend on if the design is sound.

-Lee

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UUUUUUuuuuhh, not quite...

Yes, it must be submitted to different gov't agencies: SEOPC and local ayuntamiento. But it must have signatures of Registered engineers and architects. Registered as in Members of Codia.

Seems to me that the Three Little Pigs tried to do some house design.....

Now you can pay an engineer or architect to sign the plans, but if there is a problem, like it falls down or the roof caves in during construction., they are culpable, so only the poorest and least ethical will do that...

In a country with serious seismic questions, do you want just anybody designing the footing and the roofs of your house?

HB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Lots! I've felt some here in my three years. My wife has stories of being in a few while in the Costanza area with more than a little damage. I know the Santiago/Cibao valley is very active but I don't have access to a list of those. HB I am sure does ... Here's a list of some that have affected coastal areas of Hispainola. The 1946 one from Samana to Playa Grande probably the most famous. There also have been several more 7.5+ events between the DR and PR in the 1750-1850 period but while damage reports exist for PR, no good records exist for the DR even though to be sure the damage east was similar to what PR experienced.

1751 10 18 19:00 - Haiti, Santo Domingo Azua de Campostela, Haiti Santo Domingo & El Seybo The city of Azua de Compostela was destroyed by an earthquake and overwhelmed by the resulting tsunami. Santo Domingo also reported damaging waves at Santo Domingo and el Sevbo

1770 06 03 [19:15] Haiti Golfe de la Gonave, Haiti Waves noted at Golfe de la Gonave and Arcahaie. La Saline
Mountain foot partly submerged. The sea inundated 7.2 km inland.

1775 03 Haiti Hispaniola Three strong shocks were felt on Hispaniola. Several store houses were destroyed and great damage was done by the sea.

1775 12 18 Hi spamola & Cuba Hispaniola & Cuba Three earthquakes reported and waves did extensive damage. Rubio does not mention any effects in Cuba

1860 03 08 Hispaniola Hispaniola: Golfe de la Gonaves, Cayes, Acquin, & Anse-a-Veau. An earthquake (Ms=7.5) was reported from Port-au-Prince and Anse-a-Veau. Waves were reported from Golfe de la Gonaves, Cayes, and Acquin. At Anse-a-Veau the sea withdrew and broke with acrash on the shore.

1946 08 04 Dominican Republic Dominican Republic: Matanzas,
Julia Molina & Samana San Juan, Puerto Rico Bermuda Daytona Beach, Florida Atlantic City New Jersey 2.4 The town was severely damaged and 100 people killed although the wave probably was only 2.4m. At Villa Julia Molina the wave was estimated to be 3.6 to 4.6m high but caused little damage. At Cabo Samana several ebbs and flows were observed. It was recorded at San Juan, Puerto Rico, 36 minutes after the earthquake. It was also recorded at Bermuda at 2:07 after the earthquake and at Daytona Beach, 3:59 and Atlantic City, 4:49.

1953 05 31 [19:58 UT] Dominican Republic Puerto P lata, Dominican Republic 0.6 Recorded on the Puerto Plata tide gauge at 6 cm height. May be a wave from hurricane Alice which was in the area at this time.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe

And lots of rain. There is a similar scar on the mountains near La Cumbre between POP and Santiago. Killed two little boys.

There are three or four interesting tremors every year. the more the merrier since they take tension off the BIG one that most seismologists say is due...

Send and email to Orlando Franco, one of the more knowledgable people and a colaborator on the most recent studies of earthquate activity in the Cibao. Let me see if I can find that address.......Here it is: o.franco@codetel.net.do

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The landslide on Mnt Isabel de Torres is often accredited to a small airplane coming from Cuba (or was it Puerto Rico?) crashing into the mountain in Jan of 1993. This is incorrect however as the 'plane crashed more on the Eastern side of the mountain (the IMBERT side) & the erosion actually occured in May of 1993 after a month of SOLID rainfall which caused the erosion of the mountainside. The 'Scar' is occasionally increased during long peiods of rainfall, but fortunately not too often now!! - Grahame.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Re: UUUUUUuuuuhh, not quite...

Hillbilly said:
Yes, it must be submitted to different gov't agencies: SEOPC and local ayuntamiento. But it must have signatures of Registered engineers and architects. Registered as in Members of Codia.
HB

This is correct. Submitted plans must be signed by a licensed architect and civil engineer.

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
hello , I?m an architect and I do this legalization process very often..I can tell you that they doesn?t exactly care about the beauty of the design , they really matters that you obey the city?s regulations. And they also request for a group of professionals who responds about the design in all the areas (architectural, structural,electrical and plumbling).
I saw a case in which the roof?s building felt down and in the very same day the city located the architect and the engineer (the constructor) and took them to the jail to find out who was the responsible because two workers died..

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Who wants an unsound home?

Approximate cost of an architect to design a normal size 4 bedroom home? Surely it outweighs the cost of a workers or your life!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chivita

I am not an architect (sp?) but I "think" it is a percentage of the cost...But I am sure you can do it for a fixed fee...

I guess it depends on the service you wish to receive from your person...

HB