Study Abroad Student

gemini2715

Aug 10, 2003
hometown.aol.com
Information please!

Hello everyone. I will be leaving for the DR in a couple weeks to study at PUCMM (Santo Domingo) for a semester. I know this is kind of broad, but is there anything that I should know before I go. I am also staying with a host family. What should I expect in that situation? What about the blackouts? I haven't seen anyone really refering to that situation in Santo Domingo. I have searched this website and many others and they are not really saying anything different from the other. Anything that you could offer will help.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A shame you

Are not coming to the main PUCMM campus in Santiago. Then I could help you.

things to bring:

Patience
Open Mind
Sun Block
OFF with DEET
Lots of light clothing and at least one light jacket or sweater for A/C stores and buses. Or mountain tops...

Jeans & T shirts-daily student wear.

Good walking shoes..

Have a good time. What are you going to study?

HB

Last edited:

gemini2715

Aug 10, 2003
hometown.aol.com
At my school

I'm studying spanish and international business. But i'm only focusing on spanish in the DR. I'm doing my business classes in Spain for spring semester.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Silly question

And way too late: Why not Santiago campus? We have a very very good staff in the Spanish department...

HB

gemini2715

Aug 10, 2003
hometown.aol.com
late?

I am just going into my third year. I am actually pretty advanced. I can pretty much understand most of what I read and hear. It is responding that is my problem. I am going to be in Santo Domingo because that is where my program is. Amazingly, studying abroad this year is cheaper than going to my school in the states. That's crazy!

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Re: Information please!

gemini2715 said:
Hello everyone. I will be leaving for the DR in a couple weeks to study at PUCMM (Santo Domingo) for a semester. I know this is kind of broad, but is there anything that I should know before I go. I am also staying with a host family. What should I expect in that situation? What about the blackouts? I haven't seen anyone really refering to that situation in Santo Domingo. I have searched this website and many others and they are not really saying anything different from the other. Anything that you could offer will help.

Take Hillbilly's advice and you can do no wrong !

Blackouts will increasingly become a problem. If your host family does not have a generator/inverter, you can frequent the numerous cafes/eateries throughtout Santo Domingo where you can sit down to read and do your homework over minimal consupmtion. That'll also be a great way to meet some locals and to practice your Spanish.

(You may actually have to steel yourself for cold showers due to blackouts. But the temperature here never drops below 70's F , so it's not such a big deal)

And of course, check back on this DR1 often to keep yourself up-to-date !