Five days of travel for a DominicanBrotha

luisrod

Aug 11, 2003
www.tbagym.com
I will be traveling to DR Aug. 18th through Aug. 22nd. I know it's a very short time, but I would like to make the best of it! My parents are from a small town outside of Santiago and I still have close relatives residing there which I plan to visit upon arrival in the city. Actually, I was raised there for the first five years of my life, until moving to NYC in 75'. I have traveled abroad to Europe and Mexico since then, but, shamelessly, have not returned to the DR since. Would like to stay longer, but am limited to five days. I consider this a recon mission with plans to return.
I want to see the country, but on my terms. Meaning, rent vehicle and simply travel wherever it's good. Is it reasonable to assume this is possible? Can I rent a jeep, pick up a map, head east/southeast from Santiago after visiting the kin, and find fuel/food/shelter along the way, much as you would being a backpacker in europe? Is it safe to simply set up camp along any deserted beach, or at least run across decent beach huts to rent? How about the water? I understand fuel prices are high, but to what extreme?
Mind you, I've been fluent in Spanish since day one. Although I am sure my accent is distinct, I do not expect communication to be a problem. Also, I am accustomed to going with the flow and making the best of situations. I would not mind visiting a resort or two, but my interest lies in the culture, mixing and dancing with the people, and traveling the coasts.
Would it be naive to think I could travel from Santiago to Santo Domingo in five days along the coastlines, without reservations, and a loose itinerary by jeep? Maybe a day in Santiago, a day in Samana, Punta Cana, one in Santo Domingo, back to Santiago and out?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You aren't going to get from Santiago to Santo Domingo along the coastline by way of Samana. No problem to get to Samana, but then what? There is no bridge over the Samana Bay.

luisrod

Aug 11, 2003
www.tbagym.com
Ken, I would like to go to Samana from Santiago, then Punta Cana from Samana (via backroads if possible), then Santo Domingo from Punta Cana via coastal roads if possible! I'm willing to improvise.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You cannot get to Punta Cana from Samana, even in a jeep. You will have to back track toward Sanchez/Nagua in order to find a route around that Bay that is even usabale in a jeep. Samana Bay is a big bay and can't be crossed except by boat, and there are no car ferries.

luisrod

Aug 11, 2003
www.tbagym.com
How much backtracking are we talking about, two/three hours? I know there is no bridge over the bay, but is there a road from the Samana handle to Punta Cana? I did not see a direct line on any roadamp, but I would be willing to improvise. Which would you prefer visit, Samana or Punta Cana? I would prefer natural hidaways over clubmed-like resorts! Should I X Punta Cana, see Samana and head straight to Santo Domingo via direct line? Is there reasonable food and lodging w/o reservations to be found in Samana? Attractions? I'm on a limited budget comapare to all-inclusive resort prices! Any other route/destination suggestions?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You gonna fly into Santiago?

Then you get a little Jeep, go to Villa Gonzalez or Tamboril or Licey, visit family.

Then to Saman?. (You can X PC, unless you want to rub shoulders with Oscar, Henry or Julio...)

A night at Las Galeras (el Marinique is a nice place to stay) and then back to San Francisco and down to the Capitol.

There is food everywhere, roads everywhere. I would not suggest you sleep out on a beach--too tempting for local a$$holes looking for an easy cop.

Plenty of nice safe places to stay for pennies..

Water, you can drink local, but would be best to go to a colmado and buy a whole package and a couple of gallons..Cheap..

Go to Jarabacoa and Constanza. Or Sosua and Cabarete...

This place is so different than it was 28 years ago!!

HB

Last edited:

luisrod

Aug 11, 2003
www.tbagym.com
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Great help! Much appreciated! Will I find lodging w/o reservations or should i attempt to make an itinerary and book it prior to arrival? I will be renting a jeep (possibly from Universal Car Rental via net) to pick up in Santiago to upon arrival. What are your thoughts on car rentals in Santiago? What is the going rate for week rentals? I understand gas is around $1.60/gal, is this correct? Any other unexpected expenses on the road; strange tolls, or overeager officers of the law?

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
on the other hand - Stay in one place

Visit your kin and get to know them. If you go traveling you will get only the superficial. Soak it up for a few days. The rest of the island will be there next time. People change faster. Don't miss them in a rush to see things. looking is fast, seeing is slow.
-k

luisrod

Aug 11, 2003
www.tbagym.com
how do we connect?

I'll be traveling with a friend as well, although we'll definitely have our own transportation, it would be great to meet up with other traveling fools and exchange ideas. How do get in touch with you?