Hooter's style chicken wings

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have been living here for four years now, and have yet to find a place that serves good Hooter's style chicken wings.

I have made the mistake of ordering "buffalo wings" or "alitas picantes" a few times, and as any red-blooded American would be, I was horrified at what they were trying to serve me. (but politely ate it and paid for it anyway)

So I did some research, and after about 15 attempts have finally come up with a recipe made from 100% readily available local ingredients that I can share with y'all so you can enjoy Hooter's style chicken wings in your own home. If someone could just post a recipe for bleu cheese dressing to go with it I think we will be all set:

Ingredients:

Chicken wings (If you're a big eater like me you need at least a pound per person)

All purpose flour (any brand works fine)

eggs (1 per pound of wings)

cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, chilli powder, salt, (duh) whatever other spices you like

butter (still can't tell how much to use, just have lots on hand in case you run out)

Hot sauce, Luisiana style. (the amount is going to be the same as the butter, "Goya" is pretty good, but a bit mild for my taste, "Baldom" as far as I'm concerned is edible napalm, and everything else is somewhere in between.) Most Dominicans don't eat much picante, but I've gotten good responses from them with the "Goya" version of this recipe nonetheless, if you give them lots of ranch dressing and beer to wash the hot away then they love it. I'm sure if I could get some women to serve it to them in tight white T-shirts and orange shorts they would like it even more, but hey.

Take the wings (make sure they're thawed, if they were frozen) cut them in half at the main joint. Now you have to decide if you want to mess with dressing and cooking that last little wing-tip on the end, since it is 80% inedible, if you get rid of it you will have an easier time with the rest of the preparation and the fry time will be somewhat reduced, but some people like to leave that wing-tip on, so it's your call.

Put the flour in a container that can a) fit at least 6 wing pieces with flour and room left over to shake, and b) has a lid that won't let flour fly everywhere when you shake.

Mix the different peppers, garlic powder and other spices you like with the flour.

Beat your eggs like scrambled eggs. Dip the wing pieces in this and then drop them straight in the flour, shake till nicely covered with flour. Do not let your kids lick their fingers if they are helping.

Take the wing pieces out of the flour and lay them out flat on a plate, cookie sheet or whatever.

Get your oil nice and hot, it should be in a fairly deep pan or a pot. You can buy a deep fryer pretty cheap at almost any big grocery store, this consists of a deepish pan with a basket that fits neatly inside it, if you have any imagination at all I'm sure you can come up with some combination of stuff that will approximate one though. The goal is to be able to get at least 12 wing pieces covered in oil at the same time, so don't be stingy with the oil. It's expensive but you are foreigner so you can afford it. Plus you're saving alot of money by not buying these wings in a restaurant. Plus if you are on a date you are definitely getting laid, whether you're a guy or a girl, since picante turns Dominican girls on, and Dominican guys are always turned on.

Now you drop the wings in the oil and let them cook for about 10-13 minutes. the color should alert you when they are done, but be sure and test one of the thicker pieces from your first batch to make sure it's done all the way through.

In case you haven't guessed, we're working in batches now, and at the rate of 12-15 pieces at a time it is going to take you over an hour if you started with 3 pounds of wings. Try a bigger pot or several medium sized ones to increase your batch size if this is a problem.

Now we make the sauce:

Basically you want to mix half butter with half hot sauce, melt them together over a low fire in a smaller pan, add whatever spices make you feel like a chef to sprinkle in (if anyone is watching, it looks cool to grind fresh black pepper into the sauce)

Then you pour this over the finnished wing pieces, and toss like a salad to ensure even coverage. It is now safe to lick your fingers, but don't let your guests see you.

Alot of people like to give the wing pieces another shake in the flour just before frying, since they are usually sticky again at this point. This makes the breading thinker, which makes more hot sauce stick to the wing, but it's not always necessary.

Serve with ranch and/or bleu cheese, lots of napkins and really, really cold Presidente. Carrot and celery sticks are good, too.

Now can somebody please tell me how to make bleu cheese dressing?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Blue Cheese Dressing

1 egg yolk
2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) mustard powder or 5 ml (1 level tsp) Dijon mustard
2.5 ml salt
1.25 ml pepper (1/4 level tsp)
2.5 ml sugar
30 ml (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar or cider vinegar or lemon juice
About 150 ml (1/4 pint) oil (virgin olive, sesame or blended vegetable according to your flavour choice)
142 ml (5 fl oz) soured cream
75 gms (3 oz) blue cheese (or more according to taste)
1 garlic clove

1. Put egg yolk into a bowl with mustard, seasoning, sugar and 5 ml of the vinegar. Mix thoroughly, then add the oil drop by drop, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth. if it becomes too thick, add a little more of the vinegar or lemon juice. When all the oil has been added, add the remaining vinegar gradually and mix thoroughly.
N.B. Ingredients should be at room temperature, never use eggs straight from the fridge as this may result in curdling.
2. Add 142 ml (5 fl oz) soured cream, 75 gms (3 oz) crumbled blue cheese and 1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed, mix and add pepper to taste.

Hope this does it for you?
You can add more blue cheese to taste! Depends how strong you want it.

Alternatively - when in a hurry - get the jar of Hellemans mayonnaise and add blue cheese crumbled to taste!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have never tried the wings at "Hooters"

I go there for the "Breasts"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :confused: CCCCCCCC

The "Pasta House" in Santo Domingo,has Boneless chicken finger,prepared and served like "Buffalo Wings".I thought they were good. CCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I thought you had to put them in the oven>

Don't you have to put them in the oven??

HB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I usually put them in the oven to keep them warm, but I didn't know it was a required step.

You know where I live Hillbilly, (a full half a block from your house) and I already told you "mi casa tu casa" so bring yer hot sauce and let's do it.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
wings

Hmmmm. . . .I never liked Hooters wings till I realized you can order em naked. Naked means they don't bread em first.

Real Buffalo Wings are not breaded etc.
Making wings is actually much easier.

All you need is margerine, do NOT use butter, and Hot sauce, prefereably Franks. I bring in a few bottles every trip, but have seen kraft or some other brand in supermercados down here.

To make it less hot, I sometimes add ketchup and a bit of vinegar. Plus I throw in some "Essence of Emeril" seasoning.

The only place I have found decent wings to eat in Santo Domingo is Fridays. They are good but not great.

There is this lot behind the Juragua that has crappy little shacks selling food etc. I can not understand how they can afford such a great location, with these businesses. If i win lotto or become rich, I'd buy that property, bulldoze it all and have a place sort of like Hooters. Wings and Bar Food, cute waitresses, amercian music etc.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Hot Wings

Her's one for the "Naked Wings" & an easy dipping sauce;

24 chicken wings (cut in to three pieces at the joints, toss the tips)
1/2 cup of butter or margarine
1 cup hot sauce (I like Texas Pete's, but use anything you can find that's good & hot)
oil for frying

If wings are frozen, defrost and pat dry. Fry in medium hot oil (pick any pan that is at least 2" deep) until golden brown. Check a wing from your first batch to make sure the meat is cooked all the way to the bone. Should take about 10 minutes or so. Drain on paper towels (or not).

For folks who want to cut down on some of the fat, you'll get pretty good results by spreading the wings on a heavy sheet pan and baking them in a 400 degree oven for about 25/30 minutes until golden brown and crisp but not dry.

Melt butter/margarine and stir in hot sauce. Toss cooked wings in the butter/hotsauce mixture.

Dipping sauce for the cooking impaired:

Go to the grocery store. Buy a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. Add some crumbled blue cheese and sour cream. Mix well.

Anyone up for Chicken Fingers & Honey Mustard? Let me know.

Dianne

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Thanks for the recipe, Peter and Alex, works great! I'll admit I didn't follow the directions exaaaactly, but I got the general idea.

Went a little too heavy on the garlic, (used two cloves instead of one) no problem, the taste should go away some time next week.

I didn't know Bleu cheese was "queso picon tresviso" in spanish, somehow I had the idea it would be "queso azul".

Anyway thanks, good recipe.