BS in Biology

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Ok, try not to stick daggers in me here LOL. Information would be helpful. I'm receiving so many mixed messages with regard to making a good living in DR. When I was in Punta Cana last year several people working in the resort told me I would do very well if I decided to move there (yes I understand several of them make close to nothing). I also have a friend from Santo Domingo who I keep in contact with regularly who says the same. Now, I've read some of the responses to posted messages from people who have earned good degrees and it seems to me that they are being told not to go to DR. That or it's going to be very hard to make a living. Having a BS in biology I would imagine I can go into any pharmaceutical, biotech research etc. company out there willing to hire me. Seems to me it's all about landing that job. The way I'm looking at making a living is being able to pay my bills with around 1/3 of my salary. Is this NOT doable for some reason? I can certainly do it in the states. I am well aware the cost of living is completely different in DR thus so are ones wages...AM I WAY OFF HERE?? I'm under the impression I can make the same living in DR as I can in the states but on a different scale.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A BS in biology isn't much. I doubt if it will open any doors for you here.

What else do you have to offer? Are you fluent in Spanish? Do you have an unusual work history that would make you more attractive to an employer than all the others holding the same degree?

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Biology degree

Does this mean you hold a Biology degree as well? To say it is not much is a strong statement. I am going to automatically assume you are in the field yourself to come back with something so bold. If this degree opens doors in the US, why wouldn't it open doors in DR?

As for having something that makes me stand out, of course I do. That's all about the resume. Fluent in Spanish...no, enrolled in The Spanish Institute for the past 6 months learning...yes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, I'm not in the field. But a BS degree is the entry level degree in any field. Why should a company hire you in the DR if you can't fluently express yourself in Spanish and make intelligent contributions to the general effort unless all the others with whom you are working are fluent in English?

If you have something in your resume so outstanding that if offsets all other limitations, maybe you should tell us about that.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yes you are way off here

diaz said:
I can certainly do it in the states. I am well aware the cost of living is completely different in DR thus so are ones wages...AM I WAY OFF HERE?? I'm under the impression I can make the same living in DR as I can in the states but on a different scale.

NB: It's not the states.

You point of making the same living but it is not being on the same scale is pretty hard to comprehend. Are you talking about 1/3 pays your cost of living or aren't you.

I'd also concur a BS in Biology is not likely to have most multinational or even local biotech companies in the DR or the USA for that matter open the doors for you.

Also keep in mind you should be studying technical/scientific and perhaps business Spanish vs. basic Spanish at the Spanish Institute whatever that is. Fluency is a very high standard and 6 months I can assure you so far you are not close to that.

This post seems to be fitting a recently common trend of ask a question then only agree with those answers that contain the message you think you want to hear.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Biology degree

diaz said:
To say it is not much is a strong statement. If this degree opens doors in the US, why wouldn't it open doors in DR?
Why not? Because there's a lot fewer doors here in the Dominican Repuplic than in the U.S.A. a lot fewer.

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Biology

No, a BS is not the entry level degree in any field. There's an Associates and some fields do not even require a degree. You are making very general statements here. As far as scientific work is concerned, yes in my eyes and the eyes of many others, I need that degree. After being in the pharmaceutical industry for two years I can tell you for a fact that there are several jobs that do not require it.

As far as learning Spanish, I do not consider it a barrier nor will it be in the future. I didn't get my BS over night. That took time and effort and I'm doing that with Spanish right now. As far as being an asset, think about what you just wrote. Here I am learning Spanish but what have others (my future colleagues) done to learn English. I do not have the answer but I can tell you this...I already have that language under my belt.

With regard to my resume, the most I will say is I have pharmaceutical experience. The rest is too much of a technical break down. Not to mention, one does not discuss the type of work being done for a pharmaceutical company. THAT'S A BIG NO NO.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I work in the Health Care Industry in Santo Domingo.

I have for 8 years. I had 30 years experience in the field in the US,and got my current position through "connections" here and there.I spoke pretty good Spanish when I came,and have since learned "Dominican" and can tell you that they are two different things! Entry level pay for a BS in Biology might be around $450 US a month,if you could find a job,and you really have less to offer than a Dominican with a BS.Being a Native English speaker will help you get a job teaching English,other than that,it means nothing!As to your friends telling you that you will be able to get high paying job with no trouble,chalk that up to Dominicans being nice to you,and putting a positive spin on something they really have no idea about!No need to get defensive/offensive,people are trying to tell you the reality of your finding employment here.You might not like what you are hearing,but its the reality!Good Luck!CC

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
diaz said:

As far as being an asset, think about what you just wrote. Here I am learning Spanish but what have others (my future colleagues) done to learn English. I do not have the answer but I can tell you this...I already have that language under my belt.

diaz, I am not trying to pick on you. You asked a question, I answered it. It may not be the answer you wanted, but I believe it to be true and, it seems, others with much experience in the DR do, too.

Yes, you already have a language--English--under your belt, but it is not the language of this country. With respect to Dominican professionals in the science fields, a great many speak at least some English and can read English much better. The ability to read English is important because so many scientific publications are in that language.

If you are looking to this board for encouragement, you aren't going to get it--at least not if you want answers based on reality. What you should do if you want to proceed is to send your resume to companies in your field doing business in the DR and see whether any are interested in you. I am certain you have access to lists and directories indicating which companies might have need for your services. Contact them and see what they have to say.

If you prove us wrong, be sure to come back and tell us about it. ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This board gives the most honest advice you can get, period! Trust me, it doesn?t get any better than this.

So you have a degree, and???. Sorry, but in the DR, it's not worth the nice paper it's printed on. If you was bi-lingual and also Dominican, your in with a chance. You?re not either, so you got a long hard road ahead of you.

Some advice...

Read EVERYTHING on this site. Spend a day or two, do your homework.

It's all about networking, not what you know, but who. As someone has already pointed out, your friends are being nice, telling you what you want to hear. Living in the DR you get used to that and soon learn when to ignore it.

I suggest you get your friends to look out for jobs, newspapers, post on the the DR job sites, call local companies etc.
You will need to come here and network, get a feel for the ?very tough right now? job market. The chances of you getting a job are about as good as the DR having 24x7 electricity. Plus you will need to work out how you?re going to live on US$1000 month. Actually US$500-750 is maybe closer to reality.

Step 1:

I would start with the Free Zone medical/health companies first, your lack of Spanish might not be too much of an issue as they are export only companies?

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
biology

Well thank you for all your responses. I am by no means looking for what I want to hear. As far as the coments go with regard to how hard it is to make a living over there, believe me I've read plenty of that from what others have posted. Here's a good one and thanks again...technical/scientific or business spanish. Might be walking before crawling but will certainly check into it. As far as English not being worth anything...that's a tough one to convince me of. How do you expect companies to communicate with eachother if there aren't any people that are bi-lingual. Pharma is global.

I feel like I've joined the negative forum. The way I look at things...where there's a will, there's a way. Chin up people. Smile, laugh and remember, it can always be worse. As for me, I'll figure it out and I would love all the help I can get. Won't really get to the solid truth of it until I do more research :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is an idea

Find all the US or European companies that have offices inthe US and the DR...like BAxter, Colgate, Bayer and a few others. See if they can use a BS Biology intheir operations in the DR.

There are quite a few of them so do your homework.

It would not be easy to come here and land a job knocking on doors. Besides the Application Form might not be very easy to fill in without good solid Spanish.

Take your time and do research...

HB

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Work in progress

Thank you for your input. I have already started to do exactly what you have suggested. Yes, there are quite a few of them out there.

I think many people in DR are under the impression that we are not going through the same thing over here. If someone tries to tell you otherwise, don't believe the hype. I know all too many people having a difficult time trying to land a job. Layoffs are insane "right now" and our situtation is getting worse. It's not just here. I have family in other countries and other states going through the same thing. The reality you all speak of is the reality in most places. Don't think I'm going in with eyes wide shut.

I would like to clear some things up seeing how I'm getting the impression huge assumptions were made. I have no intentions on making this move now. I wouldn't dream of going over there with the limited Spanish I have. I'm talking applying a year from now and that is certainly enough time to build a strong foundation. I also will not make this move without landing a job first. Some people can just pick up and go without some sort of job security...I can't and won't.

Thanks again for all the input

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
**SMILING AT HILLBILLY***

Degrees do not mean anything here... I thought with my extensive education especially in the fields that I have majored in (Business, Economics, Public Policy, International Finance) that people would love to have me. I was right, they would love to have me... but at their price. You have to get your foot in the door somewhere. I have been prepped by my upbringing and education my entire life to own and start a business. This will not be my first business and probably not my last... but definately the most exciting. I understand your assumption and your thinking is logical... but the DR is not a logical place... go to grad school.. study spanish while you are there... and then rethink the move. Of course... you do not have to listen to me... I am of the belief that one should not stop school until they can go as far as they can go. Then again most people cram there way through college... and I used to ask to take my exams early... and I am in the process of writing two dissertations when I need only one... so I might not be the most logical person in the world either... BUT I am a US Citizen... did pick up and move here without too much planning... came here with no job... little spanish... and look how far I have come!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Well ...

GirlieGirl, you made it to Costambar, and realized 'yu don' need no stinkin' job! yu gon make one jes fer yu!'

Good for you.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes'm I Did! Made one jes fer me... and I still could only speak spanish to save my life (and order a hamburger)... I even made a few friends :cool: