Attonney's fee for closing a house in DR

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
I have read some forums talking about the housing in DR. Can anyone give some ideas how the attorny's fee to be charged in DR? or, Is there any better one that you know in Santiago can refer to all the viewers? ( if the lawyer is bilingual that is even better.)

I did a little bit study in the purchasing a home in DR, few key things I would like to share with all the viewers:
1. Make sure the owner have no real estate tax due to the local government, which is the "title research" job. Meaning the house should have a clean title before transfer to you. Otherwise, you have to assume the tax debt from the previous owner.

2. Tell the lawyer what paper works that you want to see and have on your hand before sign the contract.

3. Make sure the "zoing" is what you want, meaning that you can extend to other areas such as at the back or the front, or you can build 2nd floor...etc.

What else do you think are important paper works before hiring one real estate lawyer to be your legal representative? Your suggestions are appreciated and will have valuable data for me and for other viewers as well.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your attorney is the one who should be doing the research on the title. You shouldn't pay money or sign anything without your attorny's ok.

Don't you try to do the "paper works" and then hire an attorney. That is part of his job.

If you are buying property in Santiago and want an attorney there, contact Hillbilly and ask him for a recommendation. He has lived there for a long time and is well acquainted with other professionals there. Find one of his posts and click on the PM or email button underneath.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Guido Perdomo is also in Santiago and Sosua.

Closing costs should be approx 1% of selling price if seller is a company, not an individual. If it is an individual, your attorney will form a corporation for you to buy and save on closing costs and protect you a** too.

I used Guido and appreciated his work, I know a few other members of this board used him too.

For title, I would suggest using a different attorney than the one doing the closing. Stewart Title Insurance is a good choice.

Good luck,

ecarignan

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We used Perdomo too. It was smooth sailing and he did all the work. I understand Fabio is top notch also.