Am I right?

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003
Hello Folks!

I have been following this board for about a month and have studied up on moving to the DR. Before I make any moves in that direction, I want to make sure that I have a good idea of what to expect. These are a few of the conclusions that I have been able to draw:

1)It is fairly simple to go there and stay as long as you like.
2)You need American money for most purposes on the North Coast.
3)It is hell finding an apartment for long term rental.
4)To have most amenities that you would have in the US, it is less expensive than New York or San Fransisco but more expensive than Topeka or Omaha.
5)You can't be sure whether you will have to pay the right or left arm and leg to purchase and run a car.
6) Employment is out of the question.
7) It is better to leave your money in your home bank and rely on your ATM card.
8)You can be run ragged by women who want to immigrate to the US or Western Europe.
9) You have to make your own entertainment especially if you are not in SD.
10)There is no reasonably priced place to stay while you look for your first permanent home.

Do I have the right idea? I expect to pay my first visit to the DR with 6 months and if I like it there, will move in about a year.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What do you mean about American money on the north coast? Currency from other countries, such as the Euro, can also be exchanged for pesos.

If you are here for an extended period, establish a relationship with an exchange bank and write personal checks on your US account. You will do better than if you use your ATM card.

No, it is not hell to find a reasonably priced place to stay while house hunting. Or at least not in Sosua.

I think you overstate the cost of owning a car. However, I am a poor judge of that since I have lived here for almost 18 years without a car. My wife and I have no trouble getting around in public transportation.

I also think you overstate the difficulty of finding a long term rental apartment. Depending on your requirements, it could be difficult to find exactly what you want, but finding a long-term rental shouldn't be hard. In fact, the manager of a condo complex that has long and short term rentals at a very good price is a frequent poster on this board http://www.condosdominicano.com/

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Jigglebelly - love that name!

Sounds to me like you've already been doing lots of homework, which is great, but I'm intrigued as to why you would consider a move to country you've never been to?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What Ken Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except that I do have a car! A 1987 ford Aerostar van!I just spent 3,500 pesos to fix some mechanical problems.Purchase and install,a rebuilt starter motor,fix the ignition switch,fix the electrical problems with the electronic display dashboard,fix both power windows,re-charge the battery! Not bad for $100 dollars US!and the guy came to my house on Friday,and Saturday,to do the work!You can buy a used car herethat will keep you on the road.Just take EVERYTHING slooooooooooooooow!
I do like the fact that you have done some homework! Also, you seem to have grasped the fact that this is not "Fantasy Island" ! I just spent 5 days in Sosua,I live in Santo Domingo,and the people I met there,like Ken,Eddy,Hillbilly,from Santiago,Tom,Scott,Chriss,Grahm,and lots of others, to numerous to mention, will be a huge help to anyone who asks! Come with aan open mind,and open ears,and open heart,and they will "Take You In"! Cris Colon

I can't wait to get back! If you can come during US Thanksgiving,you will meet everyone!!!:cool:

MY,guide to funds needed! "More Or Less!=$1000 US per month,you suvive,$2000 US per month,you live really well,$3000 US per month,you live like a king,and I move in with you!!!!

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003
Thanks for the quick responses! especially the condo link. Looks like a great place to start.

Why do I want move to a country I have never been to? It would not be the first time. I have traveled extensively and have spent a good amount of time living outside of the US. Frankly, I prefer not to live in the US. Patriotism and flag waving aside, I have found more real freedom as a short term resident or tourist in other countries than I have ever found in the US.

My motives are pure. I simply want to move someplace where I can learn something and be left alone.

Thanks again.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My motives are pure. I simply want to move someplace where I can learn something and be left alone.

I had to respond to this! Sounds like Maine is the place for you! All the pleasures of a US citizen, yet no one bothers you--especially if you "go native" (according to Ken): grow a big beard, forget washing (once a month, Ma), have a few junkers in your yard and live on a diet of preserved meat! :) (sorry, sounds like a hillbilly joke but oh so true...) And what freedom...no one will ever tell you you need a permit or a license for anything....as long as you are dirty enough you will be left alone.

In all seriousness, good luck. I have similar aspirations (would like to live in Maine half time, DR half time). This board is great for reality checks and honest information. Just keep doing your homework!

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003
I had to respond to this! Sounds like Maine is the place for you! All the pleasures of a US citizen, yet no one bothers you--especially if you "go native" (according to Ken): grow a big beard, forget washing (once a month, Ma), have a few junkers in your yard and live on a diet of preserved meat! (sorry, sounds like a hillbilly joke but oh so true...) And what freedom...no one will ever tell you you need a permit or a license for anything....as long as you are dirty enough you will be left alone.

.... ha ha ha ha. Sounds a lot like Alaska. ( I lived there for a few years too.)

Unfortunately, there is no place in the US where I can be left alone --- not even Maine. I have an ex wife that has made a hobby of calling anonymous child abuse hotlines all over the country and leveling charges against me. ( It doesn't matter that I have not seen my kids for over 5 years or that I have never even been to most of the places where the charges are filed.) I am sure that I would live better and more securely in the DR on what I would save in legal fees alone.

Sorry... drifting off topic here. Anyway, I am quite motivated to go to the DR and plan to keep digging up as much info as possible. I am sure it is not Paradise but most places are better than the US... for people like me anyway.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If your looking for "Living" information on the DR, this is the right place. The pool of knowledge here is unmatched, period!

Sounds like you have a great reason to leave the USA.

Ask away, we are here to help...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
quick comments..

It is not expensive to run a car (excepting that the gas prices are at a horribly high level now) but in the beginning, it is easier to use public transportation.

There are many reasonably prices places to stay while you look for your first permanent home. Depending on your budget and requirements. I can think of three in Cabarete right now - The Cita Del Sol, where you can get a long term stay for about $350 per month - bedroom, small living/kitchen and bathroom - with pool (not during tourist season)
The Orilla del Mar - about $350 a month out of tourist season - small batchelor - pool on premises
And some others...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: quick comments..

Chris said:
The Orilla del Mar - about $350 a month out of tourist season - small batchelor - pool on premises.

Why would they keep a 'small batchelor' [sic] on premises? Firstly I'd bet JiggleBelly would probably be more interested in a small bachelorette. Seond, most clients probably wouldn't care whether the staff bachelor was married or not. Third, most of the woman I know would prefer a 'big' bachelor, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2 cents. Welcome JiggleBelly!

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey SmartAss XR, you think now that you have the coveted Gold status, you can mess with me eh! Carefull, I'll water down your wine next time! :cool: No more jigglebelly for you!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Considering how I behave and how much wine we drink that's probably an offer I should take you up on. But I am not that smart. Especially after the first glass of wine! Geez. I need to leave the computer. Only 10 more posts and I caught up to you. Time for a long vacation. When are we going to Jarabacoa?

So as to add something of importance instead of impertenence to the thread:

"It is fairly simple to go there and stay as long as you like." Yes. And easy to get residency if you want to be perfectly legal, too.

"You need American money for most purposes on the North Coast." As long as it spends you can spend it or exchange it here. Doesn't matter if it's green or not.

"It is hell finding an apartment for long term rental." Nah. It's a snap. If the other advice doesn't help I have good realtor friends who can help in a flash too.

"To have most amenities that you would have in the US, it is less expensive than New York or San Fransisco but more expensive than Topeka or Omaha." Shopping is difficult. Need to go to Santiago to have 'all' the amenities and it's still not the same. We need a WalMart! Food is more expensive I think. Otherwise doesn't take a lot to get along. I agree with what CC posted.

"You can't be sure whether you will have to pay the right or left arm and leg to purchase and run a car." Nah. And car repairs are REALLY cheap so other than gas operating expenses are a lot lower.

"Employment is out of the question." No. GAINFUL employment is a myth here. For foreigners anyway IMO.

"It is better to leave your money in your home bank and rely on your ATM card." Yes. Don't put money in the bank here. But the exchange house/check writing works best long term. Mucho mas pesos for the buck.

"You can be run ragged by women who want to immigrate to the US or Western Europe." Yeah, well it's hard work (pun intended) and CC can't handle (pun intended) all of it by himself so somebody's gotta do it!

"You have to make your own entertainment especially if you are not in SD." Nah. that's what the girls are for. See above.

"There is no reasonably priced place to stay while you look for your first permanent home." Not true. See the question about long term rentals and the other posts.

Tom (aka XR)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Buy a japanese car (a samll one like corolla) if you are not going off roading in the dirt. gas prices are expensive so forget about a SUV (unless its a diesal). I have an old Toyota tercel and I just can't seem to kill it (believe me, I have tried everything). I will keep that car forever and buy another better car for weekend drive. Car is a necessity if you would like to move around freely and pick up a girlfriend or 2.
About girlfriends: Stay away from very poor girls because they are nothing but a headache. They will always be in a need of money and their family will leech on to you as well. Now if you are above 55 then you just might have to deal with a poor desperate girl. So if you must spend money on her make sure she is young and very attractive. Stay away from having relationships with hookers, there is never a happy ending. If a girl tells you she does hooking to support her family and a child, its all BS. She is lazy and selfish and a whore. Its simple as that. Hookers spend the bulk of their money on clothes and cell phones and partying. rarely they send money home, especially when the business is slow and they go home to relax. Thats the only time they give some money to their mothers.
Try to eat local products and drink local booze. You will save alot. Make better classed dominican friends in important places ex: lawyers, dentists, MD, and business folks. They will always help you in times of trouble. stay away from foreigners who always spend their time in bars and chasing hookers. they are worse than dominican hookers. they will rob you blind.
Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have some good advice here

Remember: AZB is a foreigner!!

Hell's Bells, we mostly all are!

Anyway, if you can take the North Shore out of the equation, and live in a small town like Moca, Mao, Villa Tapia, La Vega or a larger, very Dominican city like Santiago or San Francisco de Macoris, you can literally disappear. And still have the beach just an hour away.....cheaper, more conveniences, better water, and more entertainment.

think about it.

HB

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Are you right?

We are newbies, but hopefully most of the hard part is behind us. We had a few problems, and in the beginning, I was ready to cut and run. Got over it. Danny bought me an a/c and that made it all better......kiss kiss. Now, if we can just get the electricity sorted out so we can use it.........

We've been meeting some of you folks from DR1 and hope to expand the circle in the near future. Thank you one and all.

Come on down. We are in the boonies 20 minutes north of Santiago and Hillbilly is right. It is less expensive, a little more native, but at least most of them are friendly.

Dianne

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I've never seen such an array of responses in such a short time and all are right on. I especially like Ken's (What was our agreement on the comission) LOL. Shit there's nothing I can add. I'm proud of you guys. Come on down gigglebelly

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Great info...

CC glad you confirmed the $$$ needed to "live" there. My mother in law stated that even for $1,000 US you can live really well and have a house keeper..I will try to make it on $2,000 or so. The info on cars is a relief..Hey a 1987 Ford Aerostar van is that for all those kiddies??? :) Have a few of my own! Cheap Mechanics are worth their weight in gold I always say ! If the roads are like the ones in South Ga I will need a 4x4 truck I am sure! Does anyone know of an area with decent schools or a private school other than Carol Morgan School? Santiago? Please let me know! Thanks! Pam

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Pam

Check out New Horizons 1 block west of the Hotel El Embajador, in the Capital.
All the latest computer hardware, and a decent school libary.
Bi-lingual.
Click on their web link, below.
A lot of school for the money.

New Horizons
51 Sarasota Ave
809-533-4915 ext- 501, 502, 503.
Web page in spanish.

Thanks
Tim H.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
School info.....

HOLA Timex! Thanks so much I am checking into it now..That is the ONLY thing that gives me grief about the DR..My son may suffer in the education dept...I am bringing school workbooks for him but want him to get a GOOD education Bilingual would be GREAT as he refuses to speak spanish but understands when you talk to him in spanish..Thank again for the info! Pam

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003
It is good to know that i probably overestimated the difficulties of moving to the DR. ---- better that than be in for a nasty shock if I thought it would be too easy!

It is nice to know that I should have plenty to live on and that there is such a wide range of options open. From the help you all have given me, I think it is a safe bet that I can live no more expensively than I do here in the states.

Thanks to all.