Dominican embassy in Canada has gone mad!

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
This is it! I had it.

I just got the news of my life here in Canada.

My buddy, who is Kiwi (new zelander) is coming down with me to the DR for 2 weeks to do community work in Samana and its area this coming sunday.

This afternoon he called to book the tickets with Sunquest and he was told that he needs a tourist visa.

He must bring 2 photos 2x2, his passport, and 35.00US to the DR embassy in Ottawa.

I am blown with this.
Firstable because of the visa and second the 35.00 bucks , not canucks but american.

Does anybody know if this officially true?

Friends from Australia flew from Sidney- LA, LA -MIA, MIA POP and did not need visa.

This is a Commom Wealth country too.

We are feeling dimed and coined to the kidnies here.

It also took them since friday to find this out, ( this is after I called the consulate in Montreal 15 times and could not leave messages 'cause the mailbox was full, and no answers)

Only Jack Veneno can save us now.
:alien:

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can't be right

New Zealand is a white country and all white countries can come to the DR without visas A tourist card is sufficient. You will see..

HB

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
he only needs a tourist card (plus, nz passport and evidence of return ticket to somewhere), and he can buy that at the airport on his arrival.

maybe they are including the tax for leaving as well - if not, he is being ripped off.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
It seems that Kiwis need a visa

I consulted a list of the ministry of foreign affairs of the DR and to my surprise Australians can enter with a tourist card but Kiwis need a visa. It is completely ununderstandable. But once more: This country is unique in the world !

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is true. We recently got an inquiry about a New Zealander who wanted to visit and we double checked with the Ministry of Foreign Relations after noting that Australians could enter with just purchasing a tourist visa. They checked their books and said he would need a tourist visa and should get one in one of the consulates on the way. The Canadian embassy/consulate in Canada is one of the better of the Dominican Republic. Just follow their instructions. While if he gets here, I do not think he would have a problem talking his way into getting in, I doubt the airline will transport him if he does not have the visa.

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
I am afraid hansbert is right.

Hillbilly, that is exaclty what I thought, but it seems that our only way out is getting the visa by paying.

We will see how we do tomorrow because we are going to have bite the bullet.

Que pais this one guys.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i stand corrected.

i don't think the maori would think much of hillbilly's post.

Last edited:

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
Finally....

It is correct guys, a tourist visa is needed for Kiwis.

My buddy just got it in Ottawa.
35.00 US, plus the photos.

"Tan campante y sonante como Juancito el Caminador"

Now, I am sure Ausies will one too.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Kiwis do need DR visas !

A supplier recent came for a visit and was denied boarding by AA agent at JFK because she travels on New Zealand passport (even though she lives in Sydney).

She had to stay two nights in Manhattan (it took the DR consulate in NYC one and half day to issue the visa) and paid US$100 for the visa.

When she phoned me from the airport, I thought she was being wronged. But I called the AA office here who confirmed that Kiwis need DR visa. The same was confirmed by the DR foreign ministry.

To day, she does not understand why Kiwis, but not Aussies, need DR visas when they are basically silbing countries (Aussies and Kiwis and work/live in each other's country legally).

Moral of the story: Always check before flying. Don't presume anything.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
And do not overpay your visa !

To charge 100 USD for a visa is just one of thousands of abuses Dominican consuls (honorable representatives of their country abroad) are well known for. No further comment is necessary !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Who would'a thunk?

When I posted that very smug thing up there, I was just sure that there must be some mistake. When I said that line about being "white" i consciously forgot about the Maoris(?),,,and perhaps they are the reason, who could explain such stupidity??

sorry for being so smug....Damn....gotta just llove that blue passport...

HB

and bochinche, you are right, that was not a nice thing to post, and was careless of me. I apoligize..

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Re: And do not overpay your visa !

hansbert said:
To charge 100 USD for a visa is just one of thousands of abuses Dominican consuls (honorable representatives of their country abroad) are well known for.

Maybe this is a reaction to the US raising their visas to $100. If it is, maybe that would explain why the consulate in Canada is only $35. I know that Canada raised their multi-entry visas in the US to $100US. Even though I do not need one because I am a US citizen, my wife does.

Jerry