The Aduana Can Lick My BUTT

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
You know... I was just telling BB this morning how good I was doing on the importing. I had gotten really good values and rates... normally a wink or a smile gets my good through....one guy even asked me for a kiss on the cheek once... whatever! But today.... I DID NOT BRING THE KY JELLY... I got stuff in with a Price tag of $32.99 USD (I pay wholesale and was not even going to sell it for that high anyway) and they try to value it at $50US a piece. AFTER 2 HOURS OF YELLING SCREAMING CUSSING and having them look at me like I am a stupid stupid american... I walked away paying over 9,000 pesos for all the various stuff... and I was screwed. Needless to say... I am still ahead.. this will only increase my cost per item about 5 cents... so it is not a big deal... but still... how come most people are nice and then others are complete buttheads??? CAUSE THEY CAN BE!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Disclaimer: I am just venting... I am not threatening to do any harm to anybody!

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Everything... LOL

Clothes, Accessories, Jewelry, Beach Things (Bags, Balls, Towels) and Surf Equipment... My last delivery of Surf Boards cost less than these damn clothes!!!

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Everywhere and Everyone

Most of my things do not even come from the US... they come from India, Brazil, Argentina or Australia. Todays shipments did come in through the US. They came via Trans Express/Oceanic Cargo Express in Miami... they are relatively cheap.. I end up paying about 70 cents a pound for the transport from Miami, NYC or L.A to here, which is not bad. As most of my stuff is lightweight. The only time it gets heavy is when the denim and shoes come in. My surfboards come from australia and I do not pay Freight. I have an agreement with my distributor as long as I order a certain amount they pay it...

Most of my stuff from India I send UPS... and I never pay any customs or anything... I do not know how it works that way... but when it gets here I do not pay a dime and the shipping is really not that expensive... I paid $255 USD last week for over 1000 items of clothing which equals out to about 26 cents a piece... which is nothing... in regards to my pricing.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
wow you are doing great i'm going to be importing from china, L.A., Miami and New York China-Town handbags acsessories all kind of stuff for the ladies. you are getting stuff from L.A. by water or air?

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Hey Hey

Water... but still great deal...

email me if you need more info... i will be happy to help... especially with all the help others on here have been giving me.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Tell that to the Mexicans. That's the 'official' translation! Just like 'Guapo' means mad in Dominican (means handsome) if you're Mexican. Where are you from, guey?!?

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
GUAPO--and I thought

After a screaming match about cleaning my room at 7:30 PM at the La Hamaca my friend( Dominican) turned to me and said "you are mucho guapo"--boy was I pleased when I looked in dictionary and found out how handsome she thought I was!!!! Oh well.....

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: GUAPO--and I thought

johne said:
After a screaming match about cleaning my room at 7:30 PM at the La Hamaca my friend( Dominican) turned to me and said "you are mucho guapo"--boy was I pleased when I looked in dictionary and found out how handsome she thought I was!!!! Oh well.....

LOL!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Girlie Girl: There is a method behind the madness (hard to believe, huh?). The fact that you have gotten away with paying less before does not entitle you to get the same treatment always. IF you were trully paying what is worth it helps bringing the papers from previous imports, BUT if you were underpaying that can backfire as Customs has to years to review your case and they DO come knocking at your door, trust me.

Unas van de cal y otras van de arena. That's how it is in this business. :(

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Soooooo .... what you're saying Pib is change your address, name, and passport often! Right? What? Did I misinterpret that? Huh?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
LOL

Nothing so drastic. It was in regards to her bringing papers from previous shipments. I she had underpaid they can come back for their money. So, if you HAD underpaid then just keep quiet this time and go lick your wounds. If you HADN'T underpaid then put up a fight (figuratively speaking)... and be ready to lose. If you can spare the money just get a pro to do the job.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
That is the question...

What is underpaying or over paying.... someone define it here.

Lets give an example.

A Shirt... The retail price says $32.99... The Wholesale price (listed on Commercial Invoice attached) says $5.39 per shirt... they determine the value to be $50.00 for the shirt (this is all in USD)... WHAT PRICE AM I SUPPOSED TO BE TAXED AT???

If you answer this.. I can tell you whether I stay quiet or raise some more hell.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Supposed as in legally you should be taxed at $5.39. Supposed as in real life it should be between $5.39 and $32.99. You have been overpaying by a lot.

Do yourself a favor, go see a broker but PLEASE do check their qualifications and see that they come with recomendations. Checking is free, so no harm will come out of that.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That depends

on whether it's that time of the month for the inspector (male) or not. I went without Champagne here for 3 months. Turned out the whole 'Champagne Boat' got turned around and went home when some Aduana with his shorts on too tight decided to charge 100 pesos a bottle for the stuff which retailed for less than that. Supermercado Nacional said "send it back!" and Tom was dry for months!

:: sniffle ::

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Pib

No No No... It was just today that they tried to declare it at $50 a shirt!!! I have been paying on $5.39 per shirt without fail (wholesale cost all the time) however today the butthead that was working did not get laid last night and wanted to charge at $50... after hours of screaming... I got it at 32.99 per shirt... this is once... out of the past dozen pick ups... so do you think I am still ahead of the game???