Good Steaks

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
I read a thread from Jan/Feb 2002 Concerning "good" beef in the DR. There were stores mentioned in Santo Domingo and Sosua, but what about Santiago? Any place there that sells imported beef or aged local?

The local chicken and pork are fine, but the local beef has an off taste that I simply cannot get past regardless of preparation. Right now, the only time we eat beef is at a restaurant that serves the imported variety. Consequently, we eat out a lot. Would be nice to toss our own on the grill.

Even though I'll probably get yelled at, is there a store in Santiago specializing in imported food items. Someone told me about one in Santo Domingo, but that's a little far and snakey just to go shopping.

Thanks ya'll,

Dainne

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I buy beef at Supermercado National in Arroyo Hondo Santo Domingo.

I know you have a "SN" in Santiago,cause thats where I first met "Hillbilly" about 7 years ago!He was "fondleing" the "Platanos"! They have,IMHO, the best beef I can find,and pork,and chicken,and everything else! I shop almost every day! You can also go to the area where the butchers are,open the door,and ask for whatever "cut" you would like! A little "Tip" will assure a generous cut,and good service.After you get to know one of the butchers,he may put the "Price" of "Pecho",on you package of "Fillet"!!! What a Country!!

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Good Beef

Thanks Criss:

I shop there a lot. I'll take your advice, but I'll have to get my husband to do the talking as I am language challenged. Anyone been to Salvatore's as yet?

By the way, Pricesmart has Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies! Yum.....I'm still trying to talk those folks into ordering horseradish. Many thanks to those who responded on that issue.

Dianne

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My mother-in-law lives with us,an is an EXCELLENT cook!

She "marinates" all meats,including chicken.Several hours ,from about 7 am to 10 or 11. Lots of spices,sazon,onions,garlic,Cuban peppers,corriander,and only she knows what else! She "browns" most meats,and uses the "Pressure Cooker" for most cuts of beef.I buy "California",and "Pecho" a lot,and it is "Fork Tender" after an hour under "Pressure"!Cris Colon

If you marinate a "California" cut in soy sause,garlic powder,cooking oil,vinigar,and some honey,or brown sugar for a few hours,and cook it on the "Bar-B" it should be really good!You can add or subtract from the marinade any "flavors" you ddon't like! ketchup is good,if you want a Southern taste.

Last edited: