newbie-? about inverters

Darlene Wheeler

May 29, 2003
Hello everyone,
I just bought a condo in Caberete ( I close Sept.1) after reading about the long blackouts looks like I'll need an inverter. Where do I go to purchase one, how much are they? I also need an A/C unit. Do they use window units? The condo is 710 sq. feet 1 bed 1 bath. Where is the best place to buy an A/C unit ? I would also like to have a mural painted on the wall , does anyone know of anybody that does that? Thanks in advance.

I appreciate any & all info. I've been lurking , hope you all
don't mind all the questions!!

Darlene

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Search the archives for inverter. There has been a lot on this, with especially good information from AZB on who to buy from and approximate cost, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board.

As for Inverters I would think your best advice would come from one called AZB, and unsavory character, but he knows his Inverters and his experience has been very positive.
Another person that can help you is Noelle Gillin in Puerto Plata.
She operates Sofy's B&B on Calle Las Rosas...

Please be aware that you pay for the electricity that the inverter consumes while charging the battery.

There are different opinions on inverters vs. small gasoline or diesel units....It has all been talked about here, and is in the archives.

As far as purchasing an A/C unit, I would think that the major companies like Plaza Lama, Ferreter?a Bellon, Ferreter?a Ochoa, La Sirena and Price Smart-all in Santiago would give you the best deal. Splits seems to be doing very well these days.

Talk to XanaduRanch or Alex and Pete there in Cabarete. or go to the house warming there tomorrow evening and you can meet them all! SEE: Tom and Mary's Big Adventure....( A thread on this board I think)

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Get an "Airstream" split A/C unit. Its quiet and very reliable as opposed to famous name brand units. Its actually made by armstrong. Make sure you get a 220v a/c unit as it would consume half the current amount as opposed to a 120v unit. Almost all houses have 220v installed at the main meter.
call wilfredo in santiago: 247-3310. He speaks perfect english and owns the business "Refriequipos". They will install it for you at a cheap cost because they are the importers and distributors of this brand in DR. they also stock all parts of the units they sell. I have a unit by them and I just love it. 2 years and still going strong.
My friend bought a "carrier" brand unit in santo domingo and its already broke. He didn't listen to me when I told him about my brand name and the price I paid. He wanted to stick to a common name brand unit.

For all inverter info and prices call "Eddy" at: 856 8029 cel. He has a business in santo domingo and will have it installed in your house anywhere in the country. he goes around all over. He has the best unit I have ever seen anywhere. His units beat any trace unit any time. I have 2 of his units for years and I never have to worry. If you put a dead short at the output, it will simply shut off instead of burning down. Don't even try this with a trace or it will cost you alot of money for repairs. Almost burn free inverters that will even charge batteries if the incoming voltage is 70-120 volts a/c. No problems with low voltage a/c coming into the house.
Tell them the chiropractor from santiago has recommended you to him and ask him to give you a good price.
Sorry I can't give you the prices of the units because the dollar has gone up so much in value since I had bought my units.

Last edited:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
No idea where you bought. But most of the condo buildings in Cabarete I have been in had there own emergency power.
So you probably won't need an inverter.

If ever you need them contact any of the Cabarete DR1 friends
who will put you in the right direction.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mural

This may help if you want something non-commercial. There is a excellent young artist down in Cabarete who works at Blue's in the evenings to keep body and soul together. I forget his real name right now -- they call him Picasso locally. His work is creative and I find it beautiful. If you ask at Blues for Picasso, you'll find him. Ask to look at his work and if you like it, see if you can come to agreement for your mural. Approach him with some sensitivity -- he is very serious in terms of his art.

Darlene Wheeler

May 29, 2003
Hello again
Just wanted to say thank you guys for replying I do appreciat it. The condo I bought does have emergancy power , but I hear they only use it at night. ( I guess that will be OK?)
I wish I could have gone to the house warming, but I'm still in the States. Hope to meet some people from the board some day.
Dar

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Then you need an inverter

Make a copy of AZB's post and you have all the info you need. Let us know when you are arriving and we'll warm your house!! HEHYEHE

HB

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
LPG Standby Generators - Dealers in the DR?

Does anybody have info regarding the above? I am looking to buy one of those gadgets, but I have been unable to locate a dealer so far. At Ferreteria Ochoa in Santiago they've never heard of the stuff. At least they hadn't when I paid a visit in early July.

What I'm looking at primarily is a Generac Guardian 7 or 12 kw unit. I stumbled across a classified ad in July, but alas, the ad was more than two years old. And by the look of it, the seller was no dealer.

I would be very grateful for any and all info.

Regards,

Henning Weberg
"Paulino"

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Most LPG gensets I've seen here have been brought from the states directly by owner. I havent seen any dealers offering LPG generators.
There is a guy in POP, Chip, maybe one of the members of DR! knows him, he used to have two US army issue LPG gensets a couple of years back.
Sorry I cant help more.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Generac

Paulino:

It just so happens that we brought an LP 8.5kw Generac Guardian with us when we came down 4 months ago. It works great , but I want more A/C units. Right now, we only have one 18,000 btu.

Send us a pm and maybe we can work something out.

Dianne