What the heck happened in Congress?

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I've been listening to people saying that there were shots fired during today's session when the new president for the chamber of deputies was suppossed to be elected and that it was total pandemonium. Does anyone know what really happened?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It went like this:

Power goes off in the building that houses the Chamber of Deputies.

Pacheco accuses Gomez Mazara (who unexpectedly had showed up) of anything that could happen to him after Pacheco had allegedly received threatening calls.

BACKGROUND NOISE

Mazara denies all charges.

Pacheco accuses Lila Alburquerque of trying to delay the vote.

MORE BACKGROUND NOISE

Somebody calls the CDEE (electricity) Director and find out that only that building is without power.

Chaos...

I turn off the TV. Go to scratch my head until my scalp bleeds.

Find out more: http://www.cdn.com.do/agosto03/notician16087.htm

Apr 26, 2002
Hippo can't be happy

about this. The convenient power failure and gun shots accomplished nothing for him. He promised the lower house presidency to the PRSC, but couldn't deliver. Was he caught by suprise? Is he losing control of his own party? If so, I'm shocked.

Repercussions against "dissident" PRD diputados to come I'm sure - Gomez Mazara wasn't there for nothing.

If you want to see a photo of our "viejo oeste" congress, go to http://www.cafebambu.com/fotodeldia.jpg

My scalp is bleeding too.

Hoping to hear Golo's comments soon.

Last edited:

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
I hope you know all the acronyms

Hip?lito may have promised the PRSC the presidency of the Lower Chamber. The PRD was backing Pacheco more than Hip?lito. But at the same time, the PRSC needed to get its house in order.

Lila wasn't the only proposed candidate. V?ctor Bison? sought the candidacy, while Amable Aristy Castro and An?bal P?ez were brokering negotiations for anyone willing to pay. Leonel Fern?ndez asked Rafael Bello Andino (president of the PRSC) to define which candidate the PLD was supposed to back. Fern?ndez and Bello Andino were supposed to meet and discuss Lila's position, but the meeting never took place. In the end, V?ctor Bison? stood up during the Chamber session and announced that his party wasn't presenting an oficial ballot.

The PRSC didn't bounce back from Balaguer's death. They're disorganized, like the PRD. They may come in strenght, but not before 2004. The PLD recognized this, and voted for Pacheco. This seems to be a stroke of genius, because even after voting to oust Lila, everybody still makes it look like it was Hip?litos failure (and let's face it, Guido's appearance didn't help). Now, there is a rift between the PRSC and the PPH. And to boot, the PRD voted in support of PLD's Gabriel Castro as president of the ADN, as a show of gratitude. I don't know if the PRD needed to do this, since the abstinence from PRSC Diputados almost ensured a PRD victory anyway.

The PRD voted against Lila, the PLD voted against her and the PRSC didn't vote at all. If Lila wants to pretend that the only person who let her down was Hip?lito, she has a week to make a crying fit, because her time in the spotlight is over.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Dont be fooled

This whole thing was planned by Hippo. Hippo openly supported Lila for re-election as a ploy to show the dumb PRSC people that he still favors an alliance with the PRSC. But behind the scenes he organizes a rebellion against himself led by no other that perhaps the biggest PPH man in congress Alfredo Pacheco.

Now Hippo in his own ironic and double face manner says..."Oh well, I admit I lost this one. I supported Lila all the way, but you win some you lose some".

His nose keeps growing. Noone in his right mind thinks he did not plan Lilas demise. This is the same tactic he is using to destroy the PRSC hoping that most of its members will join the PPH.

His tactic will backfire. There is absolutely no way the reformist faithful will follow Hippo. Leonel has more than 75% of the PRSC in his pocket now.

The new tactic now is to offer General Perez Bello the armed forces chief job, another ministry to Johnny Jones, another ministry to Joaquin Ricardo and other key consulates and ambassadorships to members of the PRSC brass.

The wolfman Eduardo Estrella, PRSC candidate for president stated that "we want no jobs". But the PRSC brass are so hungry for jobs they will do anything, including selling their party for a couple of mattresses. Hippo knows this and he exploited it.

Pacheco was his man all the time. And I have mentioned time and time again how Pacheco has constant meetings at Hotel Embajador at the fifth floor VIP area with PPH and, wheelers and dealers for Hippo.

TW

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Overall, that makes sense, I can't dispute it much.

However, just because Pacheco meets with the PPH doesn't mean he's their man. That remains to be seen. In this country everyone bows before the man in the chair. Pacheco is the head of the PRD's Diputados. Frequent meetings are bound to happen, at least to prevent Hatuey from snatching a faction of Diputados. Hip?lito needed to be in good terms with both Lila and Pacheco, but that doesn't mean he was behind Pacheco's candidacy.

As for the bones thrown out to the PRSC, I agree. But let's face it, it won't help the PPH much. The PRSC has a poor hold on their base. Which is what I want: A lot of base followers from all parties, not happy with the current government and with their leaders. A great formula for change. Hip?lito is losing ground fast.