air pollution near metaldom

amdom

Aug 16, 2003
I just moved to kil. 8 1/2 off el malecon (miramar) I'm hearing rumors of air pollution because of metaldom beeing so close , I need to verify if this is true or not. I don't know where to find the info. Can anyone help me out. Do they do any quality of air testing in metaldom (how reliable is it?) where do they post it? Grcias

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
I DON'T THINK SO

HI, LET ME START BY TELLING YOU THAT I LIVED ALMOST ALL MY LIFE AT 81/2 KM AND I NEVER HERD OF SUCH A THING AS POLUTION FROM METALDOM. WHOEVER SAID THAT I BELIEVE DOESN'T HAVE THE INFO RIGHT.
ON THE OTHER HAND I THINK THAT WHAT YOU SHOULD WORRY ABOUT IS THE SALT FROM THE SEA WHICH IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, IT COULD BE VERY HARMFULL TO YOUR CAR FINISH AND YOUR FURNITURE.

LIKE I SAID I'M 32 AND ALMOST LIVED ALL MY LIFE THERE, AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HEAR SOMEBODY BEING CONCERNED ABOUT "METALDOM" I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IN MY OPINION, OF COURSE ON LESS YOU LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO IT. I HOPE I WAS OF SOME HELP. BY THE WAY MY SISTER IN LAW STILL LIVES THERE AT " CALLE GAVIOTAS" IF YOU WANT TO MEET HER LET ME KNOW I COULD HOOK YOU UP. HAHAHA JUST KIDDING . LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT MIRAMAR. I'D BE GLAD TO HELP YOU .

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dear Amdom,
My mother-in-law lived for years in a condo in Miramar just off Av. Independencia, and we never heard any concerns expressed about air pollution from Metaldom. It's possible, of course, since there really is no effective control of industrial air emissions in the DR. But I would think that the users of the Club Banco Central, which is right next to Metaldom and thus likely would be affected sooner & more than you, or the Presidente bottling plant, which is also closer than you are, would raise enough cain about air emissions of concern that something (Lord knows what) would be done about it. [But then, maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part!]

If there is emissions testing done at all, it is done voluntarily by Metaldom, because the government is not yet cracking down in this area. [If Metaldom does such testing, I doubt seriously that they post the results! It certainly is not on their website -- http://www.metaldom.com.do/index.htm ]

The Environment Ministry has adopted a regulation on air quality, but as I understand it, enforcement is lagging. If you're interested in the regulation, you can find it at:
http://www.ceiba.gov.do/pdf/Calidad del Aire.pdf?PHPSESSID=289b7ee82f11dc4af6df35185fc8de77

You can contact the Environmental Control Subsecretariat at the Environment Ministry with your concerns at 472-0626 or via a web-based form at:
http://www.ceiba.gov.do/?action_direction=contact

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. to Franky -- Hey man, take the caps lock off -- on the Internet, that's considered shouting. ;)

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
Sorry keith. you're right his is not the first time i'm told, it won't happen again. thanks