Dominican Chocolate - Puerto Plata ? ? ?

T

TiberiusMineola

I recently went shopping for chocolate, among other things, @ Silverio Messon, 1 of the 3 very large supermarkets in POP. I was directed to the jewelry & perfune counter, where chocolate is kept under lack & key with the perfumes. The choloate? All Swiss or American, luxury brands, all costing US $10. - 15 per pound; count the ounces & the pesos; that's what it comes to!! No Dominican chocolate? Most shopperes @ Silverio Messon are Dominicans - based on my observations. I'll wager that neither the Dominicans nor the Gringos buy much chololate. A Domoinican supermarket with no Dominican chocolate! Go figure.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
"She that must be Obeyed" has a very sweet tooth & has looked around the whole of Puerto Plata for Dominican Chocolate - NONE available!!! For a country that produces the stuff, we are devoid of the decent finished product!!! Pib once brought us some up from Sto. Dgo. but she knows about these things (Heck - she knows about everything!!) & knew someone who knew someone etc etc. when she came up to visit & brought some REAL: pleasant stuff that I wasn't allowed to even LOOK at!!!

This is why all my incoming friends & contacts are instructed to go buy stuff from their local stores & bring hoards with them - JUST for US!!! We have a freezer FULL of the decent Hershey's DARK or Plain chocolate & if you get desperate ........ give us a call!!! I am not Jewish, "But for a price my boy ...........!!"

Just as a point of interest, have you visited Polanco's warehouse/store in the old market area??? We find that quite a bit cheaper on many things over Messon's &/or Tropical!! Tell Victor or his Father that I suggested you call to check them out!! Nice people & very helpfull!! - Grahame.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Yes there is dominican chocolate at silverio messon - it is next to the register at the check out. Over in the area past the clothes and by the cafe.

If you can't find it there try a colmado - or tropical or Jose luis - most times the dominican chocaolate is near the register - at tropical it is as you walk in and they have some stuff under locak ad key and other stuff out there.

Not that I have an addicition or anything okay maybe a little okay so maybe alot - the sugar high from dominican chocolate can not be beat - pure sugar and pure chocolate all from la quisqueya.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
There are basically three types of dominican chocolate you can get:

1) Chocolate Embajador and/or Chocolate Mune: This is you basic powdered cocoa that comes also in bar form. Basically for cooking and making "Chocolate de agua".

2)The stuff for kids: Crachi (dominican version of Crunch), Mas Mas (with peanuts and raisins), Rocky Kid and I think there used to be a plain milk chocolate. Very basic stuff.

3)The good stuff: There is ONE chocolate store in Santo Domingo that sells really good dominican chocolate. It is called Xocolat and it is located in Plaza Andalucia (Gustavo Mejia Ricart esq. Abraham Lincoln)

T

TiberiusMineola

American Chocololate - PriceSmart

Flor those of us foreigners [ie Americans] who can easily resist Dominican chocolate for the genuine [??] American chocolate, I suggest a visit to PriceSmart, Santo Doming or Santiago. Pleasant varietes of small Hershey & Nestle candy bars are sold in packages of 8 - 10 -12. I don't know how the prices compare to prices for the same produicts in the States, but the quality is identical. I speak from experience.