New private school in Sosua, any good?

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I am thinking of moving to the DR in our newly acquired home in Sosua for a couple years, starting next summer. I have a daughter that will be in grade 4 by then.

Does anyone have kids in the school right across from the International School of Sosua. I have driven by a few times and it looks very nice from the outside. Apparently it is run by americans and they teach in english, spanish and french.

Any experiences from you guys out there? Does it run on the International curriculum so that the schooling is recognized when moving back to Canada?

Any comments on that school would be appreciated. Web site?? Not even sure what the name is but plan on visiting the school next december.

thanks.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
eric

I was offered a job there this year... it seems very nice. Instruction is in English, the people are pleasant and the children seem happy.

Not much help... but I thought I would try

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
nueva vida

This school across international school is called "nueva vida" , which means "the new life". I never checked out this school personally, but I heard from many people that God plays a very very big role there. If you are very religious and want to educate your child in a catholic way, then this might be the right choice for you.

However, in my opinion, christian religion should not be a main role in school education. I'm fine with morning prayers at school, teaching religion one or two hrs per week, but not more. I believe that the parents should teach their children at home, what else they want them to know about religion. I e.g. will teach my child that not everybody in the world believes in the God of the christians, that there exist other religions in the world and that people on other continents believe in something else. And, most of all, I will try teach my child, to understand and respect people from other cultures.

Extreme religion and misunderstanding of other cultures leads since thousands of years until now to horrible totally useless wars in all parts of the world. That's why I do not want my child to hear that 'God is the Greatest' and 'God is the only one' 20 times a day or more.

So, my advice, think about how you want your child to get educated and check out "nueva vida" school very well. If you get daubts about it and International School has too high fees for you, have a look at Garden Kids School. They are almost in the same area, next entrance from the highway, up the hill where is the Trade Winds project. They started many years ago as a preschool and are expanding every year, kind of growing with their children. Last year they had until 3rd grade, this year they teach allready until grade 6. Curriculum is in English and Spanish. My daughter is there since 4 years and I'm very satisfied. Their website is www.garden-kids.org .

Hope this info helps.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Does Garden Kids have a Spanish language web site as well? I would like a friend to see it, but she speaks no english. - D

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Colegio Nueva Vida

I was very involved with this school during our four months in the DR. First I must say that it is NOT a Catholic school. It is a mission school run by New Missions. There are two parts to the school. One is Spanish and begins with Pre-primary. The second part is English and uses the School of Tomorrow curriculum. School of Tomorrow is an Internationally recognized curriculum. Many of the private Christian schools in the US use this curriculum. I know two children from Canada who attended this school and did very well when they returned to Canada.

Nueva Vida is a Christian school, but many, many of the students are not involved in the church. There is prayer and chapel, but the school is a very good school and teaches regular classes. There is a teacher from Canada who teaches French to the students, but none of the other classes are taught in French. The Spanish children are taught English and vise-versa.

I would recommend checking out the school. I have the number and more info if you would like to e-mail me with specific questions.

mainer

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Garden Kids

Until now GardenKids website is in English, only the application forms are allready available to download from the site in 3 different languages.
In a parent meeting last year it has been suggested to have the complete site in English, Spanish, German and French, so maybe later this year Garden Kids will be online in other languages, but I can't promise...

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I browsed through their website,

and in the message to the parents from the Principal, they have
several mis spelled words.
They should try using a spell checker. It doesn't reflect well on the school.

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
ISS

Did this thread get side tracked? I thought it was looking for feedback specifically about ISS. I will have to read it again, my eyes are blurry form spending 14 hours on this site yesterday reading. Awesome info here.

I have a 5 year old boy that will be 5 1/2 when we move to Sousa or Cabarete. I have a keen interest in ISS as It is the only one I could find in the area where he could be educated and accepted to Florida College in a dozen years or so.

I have been assured that his education will be quality, non-religion oriented and fully accredited for US college entrance. (He has a scholarship fund in place...so don't want to chuck that.)

On the subject of kids, my wife and I are applying for residency to facilitate moving the household as well as to aid in company formation for future real estate purchase. Does my son have to apply for residency too? A passport to live there with us? What are the rules with regards to minors? Any valid authority links would help. We have all of his shots, many certified birth certificates as well as U.S. social security card. Anything else necessary for education or living there until he is 18?

Thanks!
Gary

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
wtf2001 said:
Did this thread get side tracked? I thought it was looking for feedback specifically about ISS.

Gary, I recommend that you start a new thread with your questions about ISS. This thread was started with a request for info about the school across the street from ISS.

tonya gardener

Sep 1, 2012
I have 2 say this to prevent other people who are planning to try the Garden kids drilling institute/ Circus.
For more then 4 years my kids went to school at Garden kids International (joke)school of Sosua.
At the beginning they where very happy and liked the teachers. But after 2 years the situation changed there a lot of foreign teachers teachers left to the other schools in the area ore back to there country. Why we all thought it was because of better payments but soon it all became clear the Director Yves and her husband are complete insane and have a really strange way of talking to the kids and teachers the aggressive way.
The last year My kids came everyday at home with tears of crying and i asked them what was going on?
The reason is that they are scared of Susan a to old teacher that already should enjoy her pension she is screaming to the kids and is a really mean person then there is still that woman the mother of Yves Castillo i think she is already reaching the 70 she is absolutely not a nice person.So i thought the problem was only with my kids. I went for a talk so i come in the office and Yves is sitting behind the desk with her psychologist next to her. I asked what happened and told her that my kids come home everyday with tears and that i don't think that is normal.....Yves said something in Spanish to the psychologist and she start talking i think your daughters are having problems with the language and we want to send them to the hospital to do some head scans and tests ????????????????????????????? Are they crazy.

Days after this conversation i spoke with other parents about this and found out that my problem was one of the less problematic.
2 weeks later we received a letter that the school prices went up a 100/150 dollars more.
If you look at the school that cost a 450 to 500 dollars a month/for 1 child then they have to do something about the school with all that money. Invest in new teachers from different country's Because at the moment there are only 2 or 3 foreign teachers, and they should make the classes a lot nicer, then the play yard is looking ridiculous.

This year about 20/25 families left Garden kids and they went to other schools in Puerto Plata and Sosua.
I guess Yves and her husband should not spent the school money in a new BMW or there last gain a Land Rover but in new and young teachers and good school equipment.

Tonya