Virus

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
For the past 3 days, I've been getting an average of 3 e-mails per days containing viruses. Norton weeds them out but isn't Codetel (Mail service) supposed to do something? Hahaha even tried to make a comeback. Anybody else using codetel.net.do having the same problems?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I would not know. Codetel changed the password for my email account and I haven't even gotten around to call them. It's just less crap in my inbox.

But yes, I used to get a lot more virus-infected email when I was receiving my Codetel emails. Their service suck. What can I tell you.

Codetel & ISP's

Codetel & ISP's will not weed virus' out of your emails although some are now offering this service, that why an anti virus program is important. To further weed them out before opening I use mailwasher which allows me to see who the mail is from prior to opening, if it is something I do not want, mailwasher will bounce it back to the source with a message "undeliverable or email address does not exist", it then puts that sender on a blacklist and automatically returns any further emails to the unwanted sender.

It is a free program, spyware clean that was developed in New Zealand and can be obtained at www.mailwasher.net

NINO

Jan 5, 2002
I had to remove 6 viruses yesterday,one almost defragmated
my harddisk.
All came from codetel.net.do .
A good free antivirus grisoft.com.

Ed_NYC

May 28, 2003
Nino,

That's a good virus; I need to defrag my HD!!! You might mean to say reformatted!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I have been getting a lot of email from unknowns today

Seems to be spreading.

Ran McAfee and nothing came up.

I'll try that mailwasher thing WUD, thanks a bunch..
You know a lot of good things, that NoAd is wonderful...

HB

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
THAT IS SOOOO WIERD

That is so wierd. On my new laptop I have Norton Antivirus 2003. Well I have a Yahoo email I use for business and I have never ever received a virus. Today I met with Codetel for the business phone line and I provided them with my yahoo email address. Well, after I got done, the nice codetel representative emailed me with all my details telling me I have to wait 5 days for the app etc etc. Within 2 minutes emails started pooring in my box from unknown people with attachments. They all had various subject lines such as "wickid screensaver", "Thank You", "Your Account", but once opened in the email it says "open attachment for details" and that is it. They come from all types of emails, aol, coj.net???, wnbc.com, wusa.com, ibm.com, from all these people... i just deleted them. But tonight I logged in and had 87 new messages and 79 were those messages. I just find it ironic that it only happened after I got my email from codetel!!! I scanned each email with Norton and McAffee Yahoo Scanner and no virus's showed... I also scanned my pc and it says I am good.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
13 viruses

I just opened my codetel.net.do and there were 13 e-mails from unknowns each virused. Does anyone in Sto.Dgo. have any contacts with Codetel? They should be able to do something.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Eddy, sorry to pop your bubble but the truth is, you have always been getting viruses and just didn't know about it. Why?
You were using the free AVG anti virus that didn't catch crap (no wonder it was free). Now you have the expensive Norton 2003 and it's working.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Now you owe me another beer.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Eddy

Eddy,

I spent all day on the phone with Microsoft. The virus' you and I are getting is the sobig.f virus which is a mass email worm. I was just disovered yesterday, an extension off of the previous sobig virus'.

It is going to be a pain in the ass and there is no way to real stop the emails from coming. I got 52 of them this morning, yet my computer is not infected, I constantly run my scans.

What e-mail software are you using??? The best thing to do is place a filter on it so they are deleted off of the server prior to download, to eliminate some of the nuisance, let me know if I can help.

The text of the email should read something like "see attached file for details" If that is correct it is definately the sobig.f

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Norton is picking them up and I delete. These e-mails are from people that I've never heard of before. Even without an Anti-Virus, there's no way I would open them. My complaint is, that even though I have several e-mail addresses including Hotmail and the only address I get this crap from is the Codetel. Another 5 since my earlier post.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
new virus

Our network at work is infected with this new virus.

Here's what security just sent us:

A new virus is in the network it was discovered today; the name is W32/Sobig.

Mail Propagation

The worm mails itself to email addresses harvested from the victim machine, using its own SMTP engine to construct outgoing messages. Target email addresses are harvested from files with the following extensions:

DBX
HLP
MHT
WAB
EML
TXT
HTM
HTML
Outgoing messages are constructed as follows:

Subject:

Your details
Thank you!
Re: Thank you!
Re: Details
Re: Re: My details
Re: Approved
Re: Your application
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: That movie
Attachment:

your_document.pif
document_all.pif
thank_you.pif
your_details.pif
details.pif
document_9446.pif
application.pif
wicked_scr.scr
movie0045.pif
Body:

See the attached file for details
Please see the attached file for details
The "From:" address may be spoofed with an address extracted from the victim machine. Therefore the perceived sender is most likely not a pointer to the infected user.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Eddy your server doesn't normally stop these emails. Sprint was down last night for a while due network problem they said. But my Norton has been busy updating everyday. My outlook express is always closed. I use mailwasher that Wud has mentioned a few times and I delete everything that comes in expect from people I know and even then Norton has caught viruses coming through mailwasher.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, now I know where my W32 sobig.f@MM virus cam from

I opened my mail today and found like 35 messages from most of the civilized world..All were X ed out asap. I got a lot yesterday too....

None in the system, ran two McAfee checks and system is clean, gulp, so far.

HB

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
I hope...

I hope it did not come from me!!! Panda, McAffee and Norton all say I am clean,but yet somehow I keep getting the damn emails. They are only coming to my yahoo business email right now.... hopefully they will stay out of my outlook and its accounts....

I have gotten them from bill gates, nbc, and all types of domains. They are lucky I found out quickly that it was a hoax... cause I was getting ready to start writing some nasty emails!!!!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Getting alot of emails with viruses in them doesn't mean you have a virus (but you should be more careful) it just means your email is fairly well known, probably on various lists for marketers, spammers and people who forward chain letters.

If you sign up for free offers that ask you for your email address for example, then your email is definiteley on several of these lists.

A friend of mine who is kind of a benign hacker (i.e. highly qualified software engineer) told me that codetel had very poor security on their servers and that anyone with basic hacking knowlege could get a comprehensive list of all codetel.net.do email addresses and sell it, use it, whatever. I would guess that several people have done this, and this is why folks with codetel.net.do emails are getting more than their share of these emails.

Another reason could be the Codetel default account setup giving you an email address that looks like:

firstname.lastname@codetel.net.do

There are some automated mass mailing software packages out there that try these combinations to send out mail (starting with just a list of names from a phone book or whatever) and then make a list of all the combinations that don't send back a "no such account" response.

Most ISP's do not filter out viruses, unless the virus in question is harmful to them, it's just not their job usually and it's expensive and requires alot of additional resources.

Hotmail does, because it has a deal with McAffee, but I've seen them take up to 3 weeks to update the definitions to stop even very common viruses from spreading via hotmail.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
A few other tips:

For added protection, use web based email only, such as hotmail or yahoo, but without the pop3 feature. Not only do they scan email for viruses, but the email resides on their computer, not yours. Additionally, you can access it anywhere from the web while away from your own computer. If you want to save something long term, download it to your computer.

Don't even let Codetel (or any other provider) into your house. If they are so anxious to get at your computer that they refuse to simply take your money and give you the logon information, find another provider. If there is no other and you're stuck, try to find an excuse to make them do it your way. Since Codetel wants to put you off for 3 weeks, for example, tell them that you can't wait that long and will set it up yourself.

Don't run anybody's CD to set up your account, and don't use their pop3 email at all.

Have a throw away email account for "free" offers, internet buying, DR1 profile, etc.

Ask your friends to never ever "forward" anything from you to someone else because it carries with it your address, which you don't want anyone else to know of course. If they like one of your jokes so much, ask them to please cut and paste it into their other email.