Cats

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
I am trying to find out if it is true that some people eat cats here as a main dish?? Someone who is a native DR told me this is true and that when I come I will have to try it!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
eating PUSSY cats?

I have been here for four years, I have never heard of eating cats, but maybe they were talking about something else that sometimes means cat, and sometimes means the female genitalia...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yes,caats are eaten in the DR,and lots of other countries too!

and lets not forget Dogs! Not here,thank God!

There was a story on local TV("7 por7 Roberto") about 5 years ago.It was about a guy (El Gato!)in Los Mina who catches cats,butchers them,and sells the meat to the locals!
Guess what,the meat is low in fat,and tastes just like chicken!!! :cool:

Ever wonder why you never see any cats here?

"Cat Burger" anyone???????:confused:
ccccc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically true

There is a Dominican saying that says "Te dieron gato por liebre."
?t means that you were tricked and they "gave you cat for hare"

? have heard of this for a long, long time, but have never witnessed it. I don't like cats in this country because they are often carriers of rabies, and I sure don't need that in my life....

I did love my sisters cats and cats seem to love me but, I repeat, NOT in this country.

HB

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
yes....it's absolutely true.

best when sliced thinly and fried, a veritable delicacy. commonly served with yucca and onions.

although, dominicans don't like to admit to eating cat.
it is something like asking an american if he is an alcoholic.
there will be instant denial.
this could be because it is not socially "acceptable" in worldly terms (just as the french eat horsemeat), or because it is something dominicans have learnt from haiti (which is another thing they would never admit to).

don't expect to find it served in your favourite restaurant either, at least not under the heading cats. restaurants that serve "chivo guisado" or "sancocho" often have select bits of cat in them.
it is more commonly served on street corners, mixed with other types of meat into a patty, grilled and labelled as a "chimi-churri".
however, the best cat is always cooked at home.
if you do get invited to someone's house, to try cat meat, you should inquire if the cat is/was male or female. everyone knows that the toms taste much better.
those pieces of meat you find that still have all the hair on them are usually the giveaways. sometimes, if you are lucky, you can find them in your "mondongo" as well.
you can chew those fatty hairy bits for hours. it is like a dominican cat jerky.

the last time there was a thread like this, someone offered some money to see a photo of someone eating cat (or at least something like that). i can't think why that person did that. i wonder if the offer is still open.

as i said, dominicans will immediately deny they eat cat.
much the same way that they will immediately deny taking responsibility for anything.
so, don't believe any denials to this post, it is a natural reaction on their part. don't believe any foreigners either, unless they are from other cat-eating parts of the world - there is someone on this board from pakistan, who i am sure can attest to the wonderful cat curry (i can't remember its real name) that is served there. i had the privilege of trying it in karachi a few years back.

i have yet to try dogmeat - unless they put that in the chimi-churris too.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The big surprise to me, GirlieGirl is that your neighbors have yet eaten cat sancocho. A 20 pound cat has to be a tempting target.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Poor kitty!

Girlie Girl if you do not see stray cats around the DR take that as a BIG HINT! People who are poor eat most any animal. I was in the Phillippines and ate at a local taco place and made a commment how the meat was not greasy like american taco bell and the like..They informed me it was DOG MEAT...Then I realized and noticed that the only dog I had seen on the streets (I went everywhere there) This dog had such a SCAR down it's back it was horrible. I still remember that dog..I was told that scar is because he got away! Sad as it is to Americans who cherish their pets more than some human life..not me but met a few...DR could eat cats if you do not see stray cats...You do see dogs I hear so that could be a sign to keep that 20 lb cat in doors....Gross!!! :( Pam

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Basically true

[B]Hillbilly[/B] said:
There is a Dominican saying that says "Te dieron gato por liebre."
?t means that you were tricked and they "gave you cat for hare"
Well, this one is really a SPANISH saying, and well, we can't take credit for that.

Ah, and Rob... :dead:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you have eaten in a "Chinese Restaurant" anywhere in the world,

you have eaten dog,cat,pidgeons,and worse,or better,depending on your point of view!!Ate lots of "puppies" in Vietnam.As soon as they are weaned,into the pot they go.Very tender that way! Mice and frogs are good in "Up Country" Thailand!There was a Chinese Restaurant on Beacon Hill in Boston,that gave the local boys $5 for every cat they brought to the back door!!!!Anyone for "Sum Yung Cat"?????????"Mu Shi Kitty"???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccris:bunny: :ninja: :chinese: :lick: :smoke:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Just asked my Dominican Husband about eating Cats...

He said "Some people do..Looked at me weird as if I were going to clobber him or something and was sort of sneaky about saying it..MAYBE that is why he did not like cats for our pets..I had two until last month I had to find them good homes...glad I decided not to take them to the DR...Pam

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
what i don't like is when you find an old scab in your food from one of those mangy cats.
a good cook always removes them first.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Is that you Bochinche?

Are you the man in the photo about to eat the kitty sandwich? Where would someone even find a photo like that?HUMMMM :) Pam