Surge Protectors

gemini2715

Aug 10, 2003
hometown.aol.com
I will be leaving for Santo Domingo on sunday and i will be bringing a laptop and a battery charger, the 2 main things that I will need to plug in for a period of time. Do I need to bring a surge protector to protect them from any electricity irregularities?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Read the archives..

From former posts that is the main problem with the DR..Power outages/surges etc..Protect your equipment it is a much cheaper investment than replacing that laptop! Pam

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Absolutely, gemini. Surges, blackouts, outages, etc., are all daily features of the electrical service in the DR. Irregularities are more common here than regularities.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Make sure the surge protector's third prong is grounded. this means earth ground. Not a single 3 prong a/c outlet is grounded in DR unless you stick the 7 foot rod yourself into the ground. If the device is not grounded the surge protector doesn't worth a shrimp.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Likely the surge protector will have the 3rd prong but less likely that what you plug it into will be grounded. Many of the older buildings inthe DR were wired minus a ground wire. When we moved into our condo, we had to hire an electrician to put in a ground wire and a ground. He told me the only requirement in the older buildings was that the lights turned on when you clicked the plug. So check to make sure you are plugging into a grounded socket.

gemini2715

Aug 10, 2003
hometown.aol.com
Thanks...

to everyone that has replied. I know that I'm kinda repeating questions that others have said. But I haven't had much time to research these questions that are arising now. Anyway, I am pretty much prepared to leave now. I just got to pack :)