Sept. in Punta Cana

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Hello All,

I will be in Punta Cana this September and will be driving around the Bavaro area checking things out. Does anyone know of an on-line road map? Also, I have tried to find a business directory specifically for this area and cannot. Does anyone know about that as well? How about some night out on the town places to go to. I will be staying at a resort but definitely want to check out where the locals hang. You know, their home town. Already done the Mangu and Areito (however you spell it) thing but Bavaro is a big place (so I've heard) and those seemed geared toward tourists.

Any help would be appreciated

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
Hello DR1ers!
Is this Areito club any good? By the way where is it? All we have found is some site in German...

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
It's in the Punta Cana / Bavaro area. I liked it a lot. A little too much pay for your hoochie coochie going on, but I saw that all over the place. I spoke with a lot of the resort workers and hung out with quite a few people and Mangu is the prefered place to be. If your going to this part of DR, I would go to both places.

*Esther*

Aug 27, 2003
HANGING OUT IN PUNTA CANA AT NIGHT

Well, I've been living here this whole summer and my favorite places to hang out at night are Disco Bavaro, Huracan Cafe and Mangu.

Disco Bavaro is inside of Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort. They play international music there, but also merengue, bachata and regueton. It's DR$100 (less than 3 euros), and once you enter it's open bar (now you know why I like it). The "big" problem for those people who aren't staying there is that they might not enter because there are security guards who doesn't allow people who's not there to come in. You will need to know somebody working for Barcelo, so he/she will enter you.

Huracan Cafe is a bar/restaurant at the beach, between Los Corales and the Hotel Ocean Bavaro, which owners are from Spain and Italy. All the waiters and waitress there are from Italy (cute guys!!). You can have a good lunch or dinner there, and then have some drinks at night. Thursday and Saturdays are the best days. Watch out for parties there some days during the month!! If you go there, try "fetuccini con langosta".

Mangu is the best disco you will find in this zone. It's inside the Occidental Flamenco, and you don't have to pay to get in in the resort. Disco's entrance is 100 pesos, although if you know somebody there you won't pay (if never pay in any disco yet). Drinks are about 60-85 pesos, but a Presidente beer is about 55pesos. If you pay the 100 pesos to come in you have one drink for free.

Hope this little guide will help you during your staying. Enjoy and have fun!!!!

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Thank you Esther. Living there the whole summer...your so lucky. Can you tell me about it? I'm planning on moving there and during my vacation this sept. will be doing as much as possible to check out the area. Just how big if Bavaro? Are there any major corporations in the area or at least near by? Do you know how long it takes to drive to Higuey?

I will be staying at the Occidental Grand Flamenco and can't wait to go back to Mangu. Last time I was there, Monday night was the good night. Is that still the case? Do you know anyone who works at Barcelo Bavaro? How about Occidental? I'll be flying solo and would like to meet as many people as I can. I need to make friends if I plan on living there. Has your stay come to an end or are you going to permanently live there?

*Esther*

Aug 27, 2003
Well, I like this place very much... beaches... discos.... but after only two months I miss the "civilisation", you know, a typical street with its shops and its cars and all that stuff. All the people I know from Europe say the same. Even those from Canada.

Bavaro is a very small place. There's no such a thing like a town. This place has hotels and a little little "town"called El Cortecito, where there are some shops for tourists and a very good restaurant, El Capit?n Cook.

It's about 40 minutes to get to Hig?ey by car. If you wanna go to Sto.Domingo, you can avoid passing through Hig?ey taking the sugar cane way. To do that you will need to pass by there a few times with somebody who knows well the way. If not, be sure you'll get lost and be in danger.

Most of the major corporations over here are those from Tourism, who provides clients services and all these things.

I won't be here long. I'm leaving the country next week. Hope to come back here next summer.