Be prepared for police and AMET raids

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
In a desperate effort to raise money for the re-election campaign and his failed economic policies, Hippo will let the Police and AMET forces loose on the drivers of this country in search of $500 million.

Police and AMET officers will stop everyone they can get their hands on in city streets, highways and even your own driveways beginning in September and throughout January 2004 and beyond. The first attacks are now in process. They are illegally holding to drivers licenses and fining people for any traffic violation and even invented ones.

Speed traps will be set up all over the place. Hot spots will be Churchill Avenue, Kennedy HWY., 27 de febrero, Sarasota Avenue at the juncture of Bella Vista Mall, Avenida Independencia near Loteria Nacional, Calle Duarte and the entire neighborhood. Towns like Villa Mella are among the most dangerous. The police station there is hauling people from the streets at record levels.

All highways and crossroads will be closely watched by huingry policemen. In the next few months be sure to carry enough "dinero para resolver" con nuestros amiguitos uniformados.

Until you get your new license plate in the next few months you will be harrassed to death. This is a do or die situation for Hippo. The instructions are clear. Take everything people have in their pockets. Issue tickets and more tickets.

TW

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
I got stopped last night at Churchill and 27 de Febrero. They told me that my rear stop light was not functioning. I was driving with my american license, and he let me go without problems. They were stopping a lot of cars and don't try to run away since there were like 10 AMET agents in their bikes.....We have a million "carros publicos" that can barely drive on the streets, but they have to stop a pathfinder because there was a light missing...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Let me get this straight

Hippo dosent think doing things like this will hurt his chances of getting reelected? How could anyone vote for him with all this bullshit this guy does. Look what this guy has done to your economy. I dont understand how people say he has a chance to win. It is going to take me a long time to get a grasp on Dominican politics and Dominican idealism in general.

Larry

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Larry: It has nothing to do with who can be a better president...In a country where people are so poor that they will sell their vote in a new york minute for a couple of hundred pesos it's all about who has more money to spend on buying votes and give non-working jobs to people. Right now this is Hippo and his cadres...So, even though I wish for a miracle and the return of Leonel to power, I don't have high expectations that this will happen. Just consider that the PRD has about a million firm votes as we speak. These are people who will never vote for anyone from another party...no matter how bad their current leaders are...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
suarzen

Yeah, I see, I see. I cant help looking at things through American goggles.

On a side note I dont think I will rent a car on my next trip. I dont want to deal with that bullshit. I'll use busses instead.

Larry

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To get around this go to any good photocopy shop and get a copy of your driver's license made. Keep this one in your wallet. If you get stopped and asked for your license hand the copy over.

Happyhare

Jun 26, 2003
Weird that you didn't mention Maximo Gomez... That's a place swamped with AMET!!! The WHOLE Maximo Gomez... We driver must be in alert!!! Yes... We should... And adding to this when you drive at night... Before you hit the road better check your tail lights... If it stops working for one second they will stop you... Be awared...

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Dolores is right

Dolores said:
To get around this go to any good photocopy shop and get a copy of your driver's license made. Keep this one in your wallet. If you get stopped and asked for your license hand the copy over.

That tactic has worked well for me for years. The only setback was a bit of a laugh a few years back when my photocopied license was confiscated at a roadblock at the San Pedro "locomotive roundabout." The Policia Nacional chopambon told me I would have to pay a fine and let me pass when I said I only had enough money for gas to get home. He kept the worthless photocopy out of pure spite.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Happyhare said:
Weird that you didn't mention Maximo Gomez... That's a place swamped with AMET!!! The WHOLE Maximo Gomez... We driver must be in alert!!! Yes... We should... And adding to this when you drive at night... Before you hit the road better check your tail lights... If it stops working for one second they will stop you... Be awared...

HH, they'll stop you even if your lights were actually working, but claim that they weren't! I'm sure somebody on this board has had that happen to them or someone they know...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I had mine done at the copy shop in the shopping center located in front of Supermercado Nacional of the Lope de Vega. It is in front of the Farmacia Vivian of the center. They stamp COPIA on the back so it does not look 100% legit, but that may be even better because if stolen someone cannot pass it off as their own.

This practice is completely legal. Actually what is not legal is for the AMET agent to retain your license.

Of course if you are in an accident or anything like that you will need your original. But you can have someone bring it to you. Just make sure you know where it is kept and that someone else may have access to it if necessary.

Last edited:

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Sounds Scary

This sounds scary. I have a DUMB questions. here goes: Can AMET or the Police hold my USA Liscence if I get stopped. I'm heading for DR in September and would like very much to avoid any inconvenience with the 'law'. I don't have a Dominican liscence.

Adios,

Zeus (primus inter pares)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
AMET took away my drivers license once for not wearing my seatbelt (big trap on Maximo Gomez pulling everyone over about 6 months back). Gave me a date to see the magistrate... :mad:

Thankfully a Dominican friend who happened to know people at AMET, got my license back for a few hundred pesos.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Dolores,

Maybe you still have the old driver's license. The new one looks pretty much like the cedula and it wouldn't look anywhere like the real one when photocopied. And beware, I was almost given a ticket once for carrying the copy of my license. I then produced the real one and things got sorted out. I inquired and I was supposed to carry the real license, not a copy.

YMMV.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Keith R said:
HH, they'll stop you even if your lights were actually working, but claim that they weren't! I'm sure somebody on this board has had that happen to them or someone they know...

Damn right it happened to me! Twice in one night.......went to Avenida del Puerto with my friends cuz everyone went there after leaving the clubs on la Lincoln, was about to make a turn and they had the streets blocked on both sides........checked and checked and they didn't find anything so they had to let me go..........after that I had to invoke the 'I know so and so' powers to have them let me go....it works