Anybody from Ireland?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Irish

I was born in Dublin but came to the USA as a toddler. Having an Irish background I think its fair for me to say that I dont anticipate you getting a lot of responses Timex. It dosent appear that the DR is the kind of place for a lot of Irish to wind up in for a multitude of reasons. Hopefully I am wrong. It would be interesting to hear from Irish that have emigrated to the DR and hear their stories.

Larry

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Larry!!!!

I have a very good friend, from Ireland, who has been here, 8 years. I am hoping, there are others here. It would be great to get some of them together.

Thanks
Tim H.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
there are a few paddies here...or at least were?

1. the head of abraham lincoln school in la romana
2. the lady in gazcue married to the unilever bloke.
3. the one who was married to the venezuelan - used to be a milkman or train driver or something. this one could be timex's friend, he has been here about eight years now. a good one to have a few beers with.
4. the one who recently appeared on "roberto x roberto" - or so i was told. i didn't actually see it myself, and it sounds as if it could be the same one as number three.
5. occasionally some come for a few months as part of a latin american tour and then return - nearly always support manchester united - i don't know why.

(beware of the fake ones - there are many americans in the d.r. who think they are irish, but don't have a clue. i'm not talking about ones with irish grannies, etc., but ones who really believe they are irish.)

carolinet

Oct 21, 2003
Hiya Timex,

I'm not in the DR yet (came back from a trip there a month ago! Was in Azua, Barahona and Santo Domingo) but I'm gonna be moving to Santo Domingo with a friend of mine in June of next year (tickets already booked - can't wait!). We've got quite alot of Dominican friends and we've decided to go over and spend at least a year or two. We'll probably teach English for the first while and then, who knows?! I'm from Sligo and she's from Kildare (both 24 yrs).

I take it you're Irish, where from? We're hoping to try and get in touch with some other paddies when we arrive. Dominicans are absolutely lovely but I'm sure we'll be in the humour to talk to folks from 'the auld sod' from time to time!

Anyway, do you have any advice for two Irish gals embarking on our Caribbean adventure? Hope to look you up when we get over.

Take care,

Caroline

Daithi

Jun 30, 2003
Dear Caroline

I have been living in a small village near Barahona for the past two years. I work for a British/US charity that runs a couple of schools and clinics in a Dominican village and a Haitian batey.

I was born in London to Irish parents, (Mayo/Limerick), so I am ethinically Irish but plastic of course. I do however hold both a British passport and an Irish one and my Mother has recently bought a house in Abbeyfeale.

Do I pass the paddy test?

Why didn't I see you in Barahona? we don't get many gringas down here, although I work with 9 of them!!!

Regards

David

carolinet

Oct 21, 2003
Hi Daithi,

Lovely to hear from you. And yes, you definitely pass the Paddy test (especially the Mayo half!! Only joking! I'm just saying that cos it's in the west!).

What's the name of the village near Barahona? A few of my Dominican friends brought us around to see a good few places around that area. I loved it. Have you ever been to San Rafael (where there's a waterfall that forms a natural pool as it falls onto to rocks). It has to be seen to be believed.

Your work sounds really interesting. I'ld love to get into something like that. I'm really hoping that I don't end up doing the typical gringa job of teaching English. My Spanish is good so that should give me a few more options.

How long are you thinking of staying in Dominicana? I'll be there in a few months' time and I'll probably be in Azua and Barahona quite alot as I've a lot of friends there. Maybe we could meet up some time for a drink or a coffee and you could give me some tips on living over there full time.

Looking forward to your reply.

Caroline