diabetes and an erickxson post.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
it was sad to read about the demise of enrique de marchena, a pleasant enough person who, amongst other things, wrote in the now defunct santo domingo news.
i could never understand why he dilly-dallied with "touristy" type things and grand openings, until i realised he received a lot of free meals, tickets, etc.
it was always good to get your business endorsed by don enrique.

apparently, he died of something that stemmed from diabetes, or one of the many complications that come with it.

an erickxson post asks what is wrong with one of the long-time posters and his evident mood swings. i don't want to get too personal, because i don't know the man he was talking about, all i know, by his own admission, is that he's a fat, dirty old man with a blue tongue (touch wood - he isn't diabetic).
getting to the point, extreme mood swings are a classic symptom of diabetes. it doesn't help if you are a member of the heavy brigade, as well.

i am no doctor, i am not a pakistani medical student, i have nothing to do with the medical service whatsoever, but it does seem to me that there is a very high incidence of diabetes in the d.r.. the hospital in arroyo hondo seems to be very well respected and, unfortunately, frequented.

i have many friends, mostly dominican, that are diabetics. these diabetics are young, middle-aged, old, thin, fat. the strains of diabetes seem to vary as well. they usually try to keep it a secret and due to an inherent fear of doctors, rarely make regular visits to their clinic. this results in lack of control of the disease and possible amputation, or worse, death.

is there really a high incidence in the d.r. or is it the same as in any other country? if there is, then, why?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't know about the DR in particular but I have read that Latino communities in the US have a higher incidence of the condition than the general population. There are several types of diabetes, and the causes can be genetic or linked to diet. Certainly the amount of sugar consumed by Dominicans does not reduce the chances!

Chiri

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
diet, long post on sugar and disease

Yes, especially refined sugar is very hard on the human body. Much of this disease is the result of sugar being availiable to the decendants of starving ancesters. Not all of it but most of it can be prevented and controlled by good diet. The further along the damage is the harder it is to control.

I am terrible at spelling. That is why i am a Science major. So if that bothers you stop now.

When overloaded the human body, protects it'self. But what works in the short term, backfires in the long term, when sugar overload continues. First, it can't respond to insulin. Called being insulin resistant. Blood sugar [BS] goes up. So it makes more, bs goes down. But then burnout happens and it can't make enough or respond to what it has. Erratic bs results and thus the erratic mood swings. The dominican diet is hi in sugar. Suger cheap calories for poor people. Rich people because they are indulging themselves. Populations where for generations food was scarce are especially at risk. Probably an example of natural sellection over correcting.

When you eat your bs goes up. But your body uses insulin to take the glucose out of the blood and put it to work. The key is about 2 hours after eating the bloodsugar starts crashing down, an overworked feedback system still produces insulin. It can get out of hand creating low blood sugar about 4-5 hours. Then when you eat again it can't catch up overreacts, and the blood sugar goes too high and the rollercoaster is out of controll.
control can only be regained by many small protien meals, consistantly over a long period of time.

This whole thing is complicated by the fact that "sugar addiction" is much like alcoholism. It may be the same problem, as alcoholics often have non-drinking sugar binging children. And sadly alcoholic grandchildren.

Further complicated by the fact that so many diabetics do not take care of themselves. Sociologists think it is part of the disease. Talk about a viscious cycle. Disease means you have to ridgidly control your eating and the same disease makes you out of control of your cravings.

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
what steps should be taken (do you suggest), then, to prevent diabetes.

i am thinking, especially, of my children, who show no signs of diabetes, but are being brought up on a dominican diet of - eat three times a day and then whenever they want to.

with the high sugar content of a lot of local foods, plus a history of diabetes in our family, i believe i have reason to worry.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Want to make sure you don't get "Diabetes"?????

Then pick your parents with great care!!!!!!!!! If you can't do that,eat a "healthy" diet,and exercise several times a week!Although refined sugar,and other "natural sweets",should be consummed in moderation,they can't be said to "Give" you diabetes! "All Things In Moderation!",Incluling: "MODERATION"!!!

Cris,"Why Is My Tongue ALWAYS Blue?" Colon;)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Some day they will prove that sugar, is addictive, and that much of the "standard american diet" adopted by people in the DR would rather have that [friendly meal] than something home-made without all the additives.
I'd imagine that if everything one ate in a day contained a lot of sugar, instead of complex carbs. they might overwork the pancreas and that's where the diabetes might come in.
IMO
mk

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I think the word "addictive" is a bit too strong. Not even coffee is addictive, habit-forming maybe. Calling certain things addictive and calling addicted to certain people who just lack strength denies the real problem that substance-addiction is. We have just turned lazy (ier) and always find some sort syndrome to blame our failings on.

YMMV.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Re: diet, long post on sugar and disease

Kay said:
Yes, especially refined sugar is very hard on the human body. Much of this disease is the result of sugar being availiable to the decendants of starving ancesters. Not all of it but most of it can be prevented and controlled by good diet. The further along the damage is the harder it is to control.

I am terrible at spelling. That is why i am a Science major. So if that bothers you stop now.

When overloaded the human body, protects it'self. But what works in the short term, backfires in the long term, when sugar overload continues. First, it can't respond to insulin. Called being insulin resistant. Blood sugar [BS] goes up. So it makes more, bs goes down. But then burnout happens and it can't make enough or respond to what it has. Erratic bs results and thus the erratic mood swings. The dominican diet is hi in sugar. Suger cheap calories for poor people. Rich people because they are indulging themselves. Populations where for generations food was scarce are especially at risk. Probably an example of natural sellection over correcting.

When you eat your bs goes up. But your body uses insulin to take the glucose out of the blood and put it to work. The key is about 2 hours after eating the bloodsugar starts crashing down, an overworked feedback system still produces insulin. It can get out of hand creating low blood sugar about 4-5 hours. Then when you eat again it can't catch up overreacts, and the blood sugar goes too high and the rollercoaster is out of controll.
control can only be regained by many small protien meals, consistantly over a long period of time.

This whole thing is complicated by the fact that "sugar addiction" is much like alcoholism. It may be the same problem, as alcoholics often have non-drinking sugar binging children. And sadly alcoholic grandchildren.

Further complicated by the fact that so many diabetics do not take care of themselves. Sociologists think it is part of the disease. Talk about a viscious cycle. Disease means you have to ridgidly control your eating and the same disease makes you out of control of your cravings.

I've something about the perils of high carbs diets in Dr. Hatkings book ( Did I spell it rigth? ). I did the diet he advocates and lost 30 lbs. Now I'm back with my regular diet ( black bread, fruits, vegetables, some meat....) and I have kept my weigth....

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chirimoya stated that a high percentage of Latinos in the USA are diabetics and I believe that is directly related to diet/excercise. 1 latino American child out of every 3 is obese compared to 1 out of 4 for black children and 1 out of 6 for whites (pretty alarming numbers). Remember also that being obese by definition if I am correct is being 20% overweight so a child that you may look at as "chubby" may fall into this category.

As far as diabetes in the DR my only observation is that I noticed for the most part that Dominicans dont seem to exercise much. I frequently see young people hop on the back of a motoconcho to get a ride instead of walking a quater of a mile.

Larry

edited to add : calamardorazul, I dont think the Atkins diet is very safe but I am currently on a diet that allows for some carbs and I have gone down from 212lbs to 200lbs in 33 days. Its a simple diet of several small portions throughout the day that I spelled out in a thread on Pib's website www.dominicancooking.com. Check it out if you want to.

Last edited:

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Hidden diet Dangers

my 2 cents

1. no soda
2. play outside
3. it is OK to feel hungry, just not ok to starve.

4. stop telling kids to eat, all the time, as in 'everthing on the plate', 'eat you dinner', etc.

At a recent sports medicine conference we were allerted to the high numbers of our athletes are getting more than 24% of their calories from soda pop. Is it the same in the DR? Here the kids hang out at 'fast food', where drink refills are free! Then they starve to keep from getting fat! No wonder they are sick. So, then... Many make it worse by drinking 'Red Bull' which is soda full of caffine. Some pass out, at games from the combined starvation and exhaustion. And some die.

Many become unhealthy if not diabetic, with chronic fatigue and myofacial pain syndrome. Then they are told nothing can be done because, it is too hard to get them to eat healthy and get some sleep.

Warning. It starts with putting sugary drinks in babies bottles, and gets worse from then on. Teething babies need a cold carrot not a cookie.

If they can stay thin growing up, by eating mostly fresh fruits and vegatables. Stay away from stimulants, including sugar and forced eating. They will be healthier adults.

BTW, all this is true for adults too. I've lost 40 puonds, but I can't seem to kick the sugar thing.

And that is what i learn from always asking why? Que?
-k

quite

Jun 16, 2003
Is sugar addictive? Check the definition of addiction.
?is sugar sugar. There are two types of sugar. Natural and processed. Remember cocaine and heroin come from plants also, then the process. IN USA most products have processed sugar added.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Addiction is more related to the personality of a person rather than a biological urge. Thats my opinion and I will go on to prove my point.
Have you noticed that some people are addicted to almost everything and anything? Ex: a gambler will almost always be a chain smoker and a heavy drinker. There are people who just cling on to anything and make a habit out of it thus, confusing it for addiction.
In my case, I have tried smoking to look cool (when I was young) and hated it. I tried drinking and I like it but a month would go by and I won't miss alcohol. In fact when I go home to atlanta, I never drink for 2 weeks and not even think about it. I tried gambling and felt quite stupid to lose 50 dollars in 5 minutes. I tried drinking coffee and tea and left thinking, what the hell people find in this horrible drink? I never drink coffee / tea, hate milk, don't care to smoke (I think its stupid to blow smoke out of your mouth and pollute your lungs). I eat chocolates but I can go months without them.
See the trend? I don't have an addictive personality. i don't need these substances to keep me going. I can live without them and not miss them ever.
Now there are people who smoke once and get addicted. they drink coffee once and can't live without it. They meet a cute girl and can't stop thinking about her. these people just have addictive personality. To me, they are weak people. They can't fight off their urges for such useless substances ex: coffee, tea, chocolates, cocaine, cigarettes etc.

quite

Jun 16, 2003
Very interesting reading your opinions. Opinions.WEAK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ADDICTION. Spend some time seeking the definition. I can assure you that some folk you think are so strong
are addicted to something. Probably some of what you so eloquentely named. Addiction is physical, mental and social plus some.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I skimmed this thread very rapidly on my way out the door so if I missed this I apologize, flame me in private.

Two things.

First, studies seem to indicate that for whatever reason blacks, and latinos in the United States are more genetically predisposed to diabetes than those considered 'white' in the U.S. population.

Second, as an American coming here to live I couldn't believe, and still have problems with, the amount of refined sugars included in processed foods for no apparent reason. Ketchup in the U.S.A. has sugar, but here they add more! Bread has added sugar, and a sweet taste to it in my opinion. We have two versions of orange juice in the supermercado. One juice, the other juice with mcuh added sugar. The list goes on and on and on here. Bread, pizza crusts, milk, etc.

Why? I know they manufacture sugar here, and for many years it was a significant export, but why does that mean it has to be added to every food? Am I wrong? For once American style foods may be a bit healthier simply because of the additive sugar content of Dominican processed foods.

Tom (aka XR)

quite

Jun 16, 2003
Looks like we are on the same page on this. I'll get back to you with some info c/o sugar. It is a killer. It's put in all these products as they know it will bring us back. WE like the taste & it leads to addiction. The nutrients are withdrawn from natural sugar and they give us the processed white poision that sparkles like oh oh excuse me.