AA Frequest Flyer Miles to the DR..

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
I just booked a trip to the DR with Frequent Flyer Miles and AA only charged me 25K miles for the ticket.
It used to be 30K.

Anyone up for Golf the First week of November just send me an E-MAIL.

Regards,

Barry.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
The problem is getting flights when you want them with FF miles - You need to book way ahead as I recently found out.

As far as getting Bumped - If I had a flexible schedule I would take the money and run but I am in the same boat as Larry, I can't afford to miss work.

Barry.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Barry

Is that the standard for a freebie now? If so I am getting pretty close. I have 17,000 miles.
Larry

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
AA Awards to DR

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Is that the standard for a freebie now? If so I am getting pretty close. I have 17,000 miles.
Larry

Assuming you mean USA - DR

Off peak it is 25,000 (flights 9/7 to 11/14), 30,000 otherwise and 60,000 for 1st class.

So Escott paid the "off-peak" rate not a new rate, special rate or mistake.

To upgrade a paid coach ticket to First Class , round-trip, is 15,000 for full fare and 30,000 for discounted, e.g. a web fare.

You can also pay some cash and use points :

The Caribbean/the Bahamas/Bermuda/Mexico

One Economy Class award ticket valid for travel to/from and between the Caribbean, Continental U.S. (including Alaska), Canada:

Miles Required Plus Co-payment Travel Dates
25,000 + $125 Year Around
20,000 + $225 Year Around
20,000 + $125 From September 1 through November 14
15,000 + $225 From September 1 through November 14

So you can use $225 + 15,000 after 9/7 and before 11/15 if you want.

In fact it is remarkably easy to use points with AA excepting obvious dates like Easter, Thanksgiving, July 4th (though they do quite a few Netsavers for that weekend so it is possible) and Xmas/New Years. They do not have embargoed dates but scarcity at times would mean the same thing. It is far easier to upgrade with points than to buy tickets.

You can check online at AA.com as it lets you book award travel including the Caribbean.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Good info Rick. Thank you.

Actually, I just checked and I have almost 20,000 miles. Closer to a feebie than I had thought :)

Larry

Last edited:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
OK Dumb question..

When you buy your tickets you sign up for frequent flyer program? I have always traveled with business and never had to book flights or anything so I never paid attention to FF miles as I flew for free..So Let me know since I plan on flying back to Florida from DR at least a few times during school year to see my son. THANKS! Pam

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Pam

Go to AA.com and you can sign up for FF program. You get an AA advantage # that you can then log into the site with. From then on if you book your flight through their website or by phone you get credited with the miles. If you do book over the phone make sure to tell them your advantage # first. You are better off booking through the website however because you get bonus miles for booking on-line.You can get FF miles by using certain credit cards also for charging regular items unrelated to flights.

Larry

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Re: Pam

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
You can get FF miles by using certain credit cards also for charging regular items unrelated to flights.

Larry

Pam you can really rack up a lot of miles using the AAdvantage credit card issued by CitiBank. Just make sure that you are able to pay the balance each month as these cards carry a high interest rate. I pay ALL my bills using the card and NEVER use cash when I can charge. Also there is Idine where you get 10 FF miles for $1.00 at selected restaurants. Between the two I get around three to four thousand miles each month.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
You can rack up over 10,000 miles by switching to AT&T Long distance and Opening an AA Advantage Visa card.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rick, it wasn't me on the 25k.

I have been doing Idine, Citibank Advantage Platinum and FF'er miles for ever. I don't remember the last time I paid for a ticket. Between the vouchers and ff'er miles it is unbelievable.

I had to switch to the Platiinum because the Gold had a yearly limit lower than the platinum. I charged more than the limit on the gold and although I have an unlimited credit line they stopped giving me miles which sucked.

Escott

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Scott, I also have the "Platinum World" card which I beleive stops at 60,000 miles annually.
John

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Credit card FF miles...

I have but one Visa card. My dad actually pays it and takes FF miles from my purchases..I asked him about switching it to the CitBank card you mentioned as I never carry a balance..He informed me he gets FF miles off of my card I have now!!! He travels more than I do with my animals I could never go anywhere. So I guess I can not complain and it is cheaper for me to buy my airline tickets than pay my Visa bill each month...I tried! I get a kick out of stuff like saving $$$ :) Pam