Hell night in san jose de las matas.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok folks, here is my story on what happened to me in San Jose de las matas ;ast night and the lesson learned:

I was invited to go up to San jose de las matas for dinner at a friend's house and also to join them in the local town festival (patronales). San Jose de las matas is located 30 mins from santiago, up on the mountians. We all went there along with friends from the PPH party (government), 2 body guards etc. The dinner was lousy and the food was cold. Then the host's son invited us to go to town square to see the live band which was playing in the festival. Upon arrival I knew I was in the wrong place. It was swamped by tigres, street thugs and young shady looking characters. There were no sweet looking Rubias to be seen anywhere. All girls were very young and of lower socio-economical level. There were just too many people everywhere. When I mentioned my displeasure and concerns to my friend, I was told not to worry becuase we were with 2 body guards and I was assured that no one would touch me or even come close to me. After 2 hours i had enough of the festival and the chopo music which was being played at sub-human volume level. I demanded that we all leave or I would leave solo. This ultimatum got me their attention. As we reached our cars I noticed that my door lock was open. Then I realized that my car had been broken into. Then the shocker, my newly installed CD player with Mp3 playing capabilities was gone. Not to mention they had ripped open my dash board, pulled electrical wires and left me with a huge mess. Then they had opened up my trunk and stole many goods from there as well. I immediately notified my friends in the car up front. At the mention of my account hell broke loose. The guns were pulled out and people started to move away from us rapidly. of course, the robbers weren't going to wait around for the consequences. I asked to go to police station immediately instead of taking matters into our own hands.
When the police was notified and also when they found out that important people of the PPH party were involved, a raid squad was sent out with military and police units. I went with them.
They simply went around in the festival and started picking up shady characters. I mean no questions asked and people were thrown into cars and taken away. Motorconcho drivers were pulled off from their bikes and taken in. In the process one tried to flee and ran over a military undercover personnal. Needless to say he got his ass whipped by several guys. I would hate to see what would happen to him over night in jail. Within 45 minutes the whole town was empty of all the tigres. About 25 guys got arrested and the rest simply took off. many were selling drugs and some were stealers. No one knew what the raid was all about so everyone went running to take cover from the police.
Then later the police stationed was stormed by the relatives of people who were arrested. Pleading and begging them to let go of their loved ones. I felt sorry for the guys who were unfairly taken in by force. I mean guys were slapped and punched while they were being arrested. I asked the police to let the few ones go who didn't fit the profile. They seemed 100% innocent. To my disappointment, I was told to stay clear of the police business as it has already been set into motion. I was told that some of them will talk duing the investigation and they will lead them to the original criminals. I was told by my friend that some will be beaten up until they would be compelled to give out information. Many friends seemed confident that my radio will be found by today. I was also told that usually in festivals like these, many robbers come from out of town to steal there. In that case I can kiss my stereo goodbye.
I spent a good portion of the night at the police station and almost didn't sleep the whole night thinking of the fate of the imprisoned tigres. I would hate to think they were being tortured and beaten for a car stereo especially if they are not the guilty ones. Then again, this is the way things are done in DR.

The lesson learned is simple:
Stay away from local (Patronales) festivals or chopo free concerts. There you would be looking for trouble, pick pocket etc.
Lesson #2: this is the most important one. Stay away from people who are suspected of being involved in shady business. When they pick up the usual suspects, (Guess what) you will be picked up with them. Thats why I stay away from people who are suspected of using drugs or being involved in questionable behavior. DR police doesn't show mercy at such criminals.

I don't think I will see my stereo again but I have learned a valuable lesson. next time I will be more careful.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Why don't you just super glue a gold Kugerand to your nose, and then . . . .

when you get knocked out and the gold coin is missing, make sure the local police use their strong-arm tactics to recover it. I can think of no better way to generate forigner hate. With your MP3 player and all your valubles your a walking advertisement ("hey, please steal from me").

Please let me know of the towns and villages you initiate this hate cascade event, so I can avoid being strung up because I look like a forign trouble maker.

. . . . I guess this was a learning experience fr you . . . or so I thought until I saw the lessons learned.

For me the moral is:

1) Never take anything you can't afford to lose (as far as monitary value), when attending an event (that includes the car Watson).

2) Make sure you have an alternate way to disable your vehicle so it can't be easily stolen.

3) Don't make a stink (and I know this is a learning experience for you, could have happened to me too I suppose) when you suspect the law officials will use strong arm tactics to recover something you should not have brought in the first place.

4) Try to always be aware if your cell phone has a signal, for me in POP I'm always digital, you probably need analog functionality on your phone.

I mean, most of these things I learned in NJ, and New York City . . and this seems to make me more streetwise that a long term Santiago resident.

-Lee

PS: Your leason #2 is and always should be valid, why it took this incident to realize it is beyond me.

Last edited:

islandbreeze

Jul 5, 2003
Well AZB ... what goes around comes around ..

... some chopa ... from the lower socio-economic class .. who doesn't smell so good .. and who has hard hands .. and skin not so soft .. is bopping her head and waving her hips .. to a newly installed car CD player with MP3 capabilities .. while freely and passionately making love to her local chopo guy ... enjoying the ambience of the NICE MUSIC ... provided at the expense of of dumb foreigner .... who went where he didn't belong ...

IB

Last edited:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Hold Up guys?

That can happen to anyone what is wrong with you! he went to have some fun and his radio got stolen AZB did nothing wrong he was in the wrong place at the wrong time stop making fun of AZB the day it happen to you is not going to be funny.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
hey now...

AZB has the capability to be a gentleman. I know.

Don't be so hard on him. He shared a very interesting story, and other "foreigners" may learn something at his expense. He can save some money and buy some new things, and in the future make some different choices.

Go ahead and cast stones, you who are perfect!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
On the bright side

The assholes who stole it probably don't have mp3's to play on it. One Q's, why would the fact the cops beat up on people generate hate for foreiners? I think it would motivate them to protect them instead. I have to say that I don't agree with that type of police tactics but maybe, just maybe, it was a local gang and someone will turn them in because of what the cops are doing. Well at least in Sosua you can still go to parties and mingle with people without fear of being ripped off. If a local see's someone trying to break into your car they will handle the problem or at least tell you who did it.

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
an mp3 player is as nondescript as you can get. There's no flashing neon lights. No attempt at conspicuous consumption.... therefore no provocation.... Just some more deadbeats trying to make few 100 more pesos. Next time get a kid to watch the car for 100 pesos.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I was harsh to say the least . . . .

I did enjoy the story. I never like the tone he takes, it is usally too street for me. Please don't make me stop you from telling more stories, please be careful.

-Lee

islandbreeze

Jul 5, 2003
Upon arrival I knew I was in the wrong place...

.. I do not believe I have been harse. AZB has been living in the DR for a long time. People both residents and foreigner who live in "problem prone" areas of the World (not just the DR or the Caribbean) know the RULES. AZB said it very clearly in his post --" Upon arrival I knew I was in the wrong place". People who are familiar with the RULES will tell you that that was the time that he was to have made his decision to leave.

IB

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Don't blame the victim.

If one can't park his car near the town square with lots of people and well-lit, then where can it be done?

As far as "..watch your car for 100 pesos senor", let's keep that protection racket in Tijuana and Juarez, please (not to mention the inflation).

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
ok

Ok,so who is to blame for the loss of the MP3 player and the damage to the car?

Itsnyder feels that it is the victums fault for not being more careful instead of the theives fault for taking the items. Interesting and warped in my opinion.

I think AZB learned a couple of lessons and he listed them at the end of his post. I believe he learned what the true moral of the story is. Stay away from shady people and shady events where those people congregate.

It seems he was led into this event not realizing what it really was and because he went with people felt compelled to stay as long as he did. Thats very understandable. However, because he did stay at the event for a while that does not make it his fault for what happened to his car and the MP3 player.

The DR police seem to use cruel and abusive methods in an attempt to realize their objectives but those methods probably render good results more often than not. Maybe the chopos and tigres and mafiosos who were at the festival and got arrested should learn something from this whole mess too. When they find out what initiated the "raid" that led to their arrest they should realize what happens when the wrong person is victumized and as a result the next time they see another chopo stealing something THEY should do something about it or else they might wind up in handcuffs again because of someone elses theivery.

Larry

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Wow...

Sorry AZB But was this the MP3 (whatever that is..) That you spoke of just getting? Sorry about your theft..It can happen anywhere so do not think you are a target or something. THat probably cost more than the thief makes in a month or two. They will pay in the end that is what I always say! :( Pam

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Wow...

goatfarmnga said:
Sorry AZB But was this the MP3 (whatever that is..) That you spoke of just getting? Sorry about your theft..It can happen anywhere so do not think you are a target or something. THat probably cost more than the thief makes in a month or two. They will pay in the end that is what I always say! :( Pam

The problem is that the WHOLE town is paying for the theft of a lowly car radio. The cops go out and carry out indiscriminate raids on behalf of AZB and those "classy" guys from the PPH.

I've never been to San Jose De Las Matas, but it looks like it's a decent town with hard working people. Here's their unofficial website www.sajoma.com/
They even have a picture of AZB in their website

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I agree with suarezn , and the sick part is . . .

Every one is expressing sorrow at the loss of the MP3 player only, and totally ignoring all the people who are getting beat up to find the culprit. AZB reconized this tragedy, why can't you see it Larry? . . . . Your love for the Dominican people is so apparent.

If I was a town person who got beat up because I looked tigera, I know what I would do next time AZB, pal and body guards walked into town for a party. . . . . .

-Lee

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am sorry to hear this happened to you, AZB. Whatever the circumstances it is a shitty feeling when it happens, you go over it again and again thinking "if only...".

Whether you get robbed or not is usually down to a combination of common sense and luck. If crime exists it is up to us to take precautions. I had my wallet lifted out of my bag in the supermarket the week before I left Santo Domingo and the only person I blamed was myself: I was unlucky because the thieves picked me, BUT I should not have been so negligent as to walk around with an open bag!

Chiri

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry to hear about your trouble AZB, but when you hang out with thugs (pph) what else do you expect to happen?

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
I know how it feels

I don't agree with most of AZB's posts or like what he says, but this was a horrible thing to happen to him. And, from what I've heard and read it could have happened almost anywhere in DR. The whole story seems to be a comment on the country as a whole not just AZB's actions.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Re: I agree with suarezn , and the sick part is . . .

ltsnyder said:
Every one is expressing sorrow at the loss of the MP3 player only, and totally ignoring all the people who are getting beat up to find the culprit. AZB reconized this tragedy, why can't you see it Larry? . . . . Your love for the Dominican people is so apparent.

-Lee

Itsnyder, I DO see that. I have nothing against Dominican people, why would I want to live in a country where I disliked to people? I DO feel bad for the innocents that were abused by the poilice and DO NOT agree with their brutal methods. I just felt that your insinuating that it was somehow AZB's fault that the property was stolen is a warped way of looking at things. Also, taking into account the "this is the way things are and you cant change them" attitude that most Dominicans have toward a lot of things including police practices, one can look at the situation rationally and see that maybe all too chopos and non-chopos that were unfairly rounded up can learn something from this too...that if there werent thieves in their midst, they would not be beaten and jailed themselves. Therefore, next time you see someone breaking into a car or what have you, dont just look the other way but do something about it. Re-read my post if you want becaue I said the same thing there that I just said here.
Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: I was harsh to say the least . . . .

ltsnyder said:
I did enjoy the story. I never like the tone he takes, it is usally too street for me. Please don't make me stop you from telling more stories, please be careful.

-Lee
You give yourself way too much credit to even think your being critical and judgemental of him will make a difference whether he tells another story again. He is simply beyond anyones critisism.

On another note, he is sleeping off at my house his Saturday night he spent in Sosua with Eddy and myself. Poor AZB didn't even meet his flicker!