GI Bill

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Are there any colleges or universities in the D.R. that one will take a non Spanish speaker and teach them Spanish as a second language and issue a degree in Spanish language studies and two has any of the D.R. schools been accepted by the United States Veterans Administration for the use of the GI Bill. The GI Bill can be used at an overseas college as long as it is approved ahead of time.
I retire from the Navy in 21 months and intend to retire there. I figure I may as well use my benefits since I paid for them.

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
I am curious to keep up with this thread as well. I have GI bill benefits and aside from online access to accredited school such as University of Pheonix or others, I wonder if there is any education available recognized by the VA. I suspect the VA is the first place to look.

I am more than likely looking at the Cabarete or Sosua area.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
VA & D.R.

I emailed the VA asked about existing programs in the D.R. but it was last night and I am going back to sea for three weeks. This thread will probably take on a mind of its own here soon. The websight for the VA www.va.gov . the Montgomery G.I. bill is owrth $985 a month for full time status almost a second career for 36 months.

Last edited:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Va benefits..

Just went to that site. I spent 20 minutes applying for VA benefits and the thing went blank. It brought me back to DR1.com....Go figure! I will try another time. It is a lengthy, lengthy form and you need lots of info before your attempt at it. Please be prepared! :) Pam

Edited for correct and punctuation at my C- minus grade by someone further down in posts...:(

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
VA Sucks

I found it usually takes a professional organization like the NCOA to work out the forms

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Just call them and ask!!!!!!!!

I plan to take engineering at INTEC with my GI Bill money. I called them and asked if there were any schools in DR that they approved and the guy said two or three over the phone. INTEC I'm told is the best of the group I got from the VA. Again just call them and ask!!!!!!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
INTEC

I am still waiting for an email reply from the VA about which schools are already approved. Luckily for me I have until May 2005 before I am going to be down there. Still in just a few hours I have found three veterans already. Looks like we could start our own VFW chapter or an American Legion.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Start some type of club would be nice!

A club for Veterans in the DR would be nice. It may be the only oppportunity I get to speak English while in the Dominican Republic! :) LOL Pam

Edited to increase my Grammar grade from a poster further down to a C please..:) Pam

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Veterans

One thing I found in all my travles is this. If some one is working class and living outside the US they are usually a veteran. Just the nature of the attitude and inabilty to accept the weird mindset of the "normal American " I guess. I don't know but I would say that there are more veterans on DR! than non amung the Norte Americanos

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Start a thread on that!

Ask who is a vet and what service and see which of these guys are also a vet..You are right in the PI I met several Retired Americans living there..they just can not go back to US and be happy..I never wanted to go back to Fl but my family did not want me overseas at 25 alone..so I caved in and it has taken me 15 long years to decide to go to DR..but my heart has always been to live elsewhere..I keep a home in Fl in case of emergencies! :) Pam

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
every seamans goal

Ever seaman always had that dream of being the popa san of a bar in the PI either in Olongapo, Barrio Barreto, or Subic City. Oh how they spoiled the good youth of America by showing us we were protecting a boring stuck up country lol.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two or three

i am pretty sure that you will find that there are three
PUCMM in Santo Domingo and Santiago
Intec and Unphu in Santo domingo

PUCMM is the oldest private university in the DR and has gained some well deserved fame for turning out pretty fair graduates in engineering, medicine and business. www.pucmmsti.edu.do or www.pucmm.edu.do

Intec is a good school that was founded by former PUCMM professors, in Santo Domingo. It offeres very good education in engineering and business. I don't like 3 year medical doctors on principle, but that is just me.

Unphu is the "Upper Class" rightwing university that was founded by more conservative professors from the left wing state university of UASD.

All three accept Federal Studen Loan programs and all are recognized by the Student Loan Program, so I would bet a lot that the GI bill would fit prett y easily.

NOW, as for teaching you Spanish? Well, that is a different story.

PUCMM does have a Spanish for Foreigners Program, but it not a degree program. In fact, I rather doubt that any of the universities that I have mentioned have such a program. At PUCMM all the classes are taught in Spanish, and well written and well spoken Spanish is expected. (Quite frankly, it is not always received).

There is a school, UNIBE, that teaches medicine in English.

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Two or three

[B]Hillbilly[/B] said:
Intec is a good school that was founded by former PUCMM professors, in Santo Domingo. It offeres very good education in engineering and business. I don't like 3 year medical doctors on principle, but that is just me.
Ah! But medical school lasts 5 years in INTEC dear! And it is a very well-reputed medical school. I can find you cites if you so wish.

Pib
INTEC graduate 1992
Don't blame it on INTEC

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
I would recommend that anybody wishing to attend an accredited college or university first learn to write properly in their native tongue Sizemore and Goat get grades of C-.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
O/T & not DR releated.

Hola Jsizemore!!!!!
Greetings from an, Ex- Nuclear BubbleHead.

From a previous post.
I was fortunate enough to spend 8 years in the U.S. Navy, as a Nuclear Propulsion Officer, as a young single man, leaving the country for a 9 month tour out at sea, the schedule was pretty much the same, 2 weeks out, 2 weeks in port. In that time I visited more Foreign countries than there are U.S. States. I had some real experiences. 1986 onboard the U.S. Archerfish, one of three nuclear submarines stuck in a hole of ice, four feet thick, at the North Pole. 45 days of absolute cold, a science expedition we were told, 3 layers of clothes and blankets when you went to your bunk. Outings topside, dressed in the latest Artic gear and Cosmoline smeared all over your face to prevent frostbite. After a half an hour you could not tell where the heavens met the earth, everything was just white. Forget about what going to the head involved. Since I could only watch Walt Disney?s, Bambi so many times, I spent allot of time reading out at sea.

In port was a different story. One time we cruised to La Maddalena, Italy. Some of my mates and I, took 4 days of Liberty and drove to a town called, Barry, where by midnight I was arrested for playing Pokymon with the Mayors daughter. Striped, thrown in a cell, and the fire hose and electric cattle prod fitness program was applied, I thought it was over. I had visions of winding up like the Americans in the ?Midnight Express?. I was grateful when someone from the U.S. Embassy demanded my release the next morning, drove me back to the ship, and explained to the Captain why we were under orders to leave port, two weeks early.

But that was after, being sent to the British Nuclear Submarine, H.M.S. Spartan, as a part of the Navy Exchange Sailor program. Traded with an Officer on that ship to take his duty for 6 months. No one can drink or party, like the people of South Hampton. I still remember the feeling I had the first time I walked into the Officers Wardroom on that ship, two kegs of tapped ale mounted securely in the wall (officers can drink at their own pace out at sea!).
All because, I read, Jules Verne?s, 20,000 leagues under the sea, as a kid.

After picking up too many Rads, I became ineligible for sea duty, shore command wasn?t for me, and so I resigned.

Thanks
Tim H.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Going to sea today.

Well my ship is not considered important enough to have internet at sea so I will be absent from this forum for about three weeks. So please do not be offended if I don't answer any questions or reply to your responses. In case I ever fall off the face of the earth I still have 21 months left of active duty. I look forward to seeing if anyone else tries to bait me with attempted insults about my english skills.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
KenoshaChris said:
I would recommend that anybody wishing to attend an accredited college or university first learn to write properly in their native tongue Sizemore and Goat get grades of C-.

Where's your Period after tongue???
OOHHHHH Who named you the Grammar patrol? I am not trying to get into a college..Believe it or not..I've attended about 7 of them in the US and abroad. Who's needs College at my age??? I am speaking of Veterans Benefits of which surely you are not a vet?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Re: Going to sea today.

jsizemore said:
I look forward to seeing if anyone else tries to bait me with attempted insults about my english skills.

Not to worry Sizemore!
Some people have nothing better to do since their writing is Pulitzer prize winning in itself.... KenoshaChris (Whatever that is) you should not bother people just because you CAN..Not nice..

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Start a thread on that!

goatfarmnga said:
..they just can not go back to US and be happy..I never wanted to go back to Fl but my family did not want me overseas at 25 alone..so I caved in and it has taken me 15 long years to decide to go to DR..but my heart has always been to live elsewhere..I keep a home in Fl in case of emergencies! :) Pam
Had a similar experience myself. Was stationed in Germany in 1975-76, met some local people, liked the lifestyle and started considering a "european separation" from the US Army. I got a written guarantee of a job at a factory in the area, filled out mountains of paperwork and had everything ready to go. BUT, I was 21 yrs old at the time, and I thought, if I stay here another 2-3 years, I'll never go home, which was OK by me, but I thought it would hurt my parents & family deeply. I chickened out. Two years later my parents divorced, the family splintered over whose side to take and I've never been back to europe. Asi es la vida a veces. Some folks like me I guess are just born restless. I hope to relocate permanently to the DR in 5-7 years. I do have a plan.
st louis mike
an army of one

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
draft dodger

I was going to make a reference to those people that spent 7 years in college to stay out of the draft and all they could do when they got out was teach kinder garden but I decided against it.
I was not bothered by the attempt at an insult. I can usually spot a disguised protest marcher on the Internet. I was just acknowledging the attempt as being lame and unworthy of further comment.
A concept that KenoshaChris probably cannot grasp is I am more literate than he realizes but I am taught in leadership training that to talk above your peers alienates you and to communicate with-in the norm of your peers. Since I was asking a question that obviously would apply to veterans and not anyone else I was communicating as I would to other military members in a VFW hall. A place I am sure he would feel very uncomfortable trying to even stand in let alone socialize.
And since most veterans that have spent any significant period of time on active duty read as the primary hobby and talk as the second and play spades as the third we have run the gamut of speaking to royalty and street bums.
How many non-veterans can say that they are comfortable in as many social setting as we are?

Last edited: