What to bring for local kids?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Have read to bring things for the local kids when I come. Have MANY MANY new clothes to bring for the kids (100+ pieces) Would like to know what types of things would be good to bring. My husband says anything as most have not too much. Remember I am going to Yamasa' a rural area of it anyway. Not the tourist area. So any advice of what to bring would be great! (Pencils/crayons/games etc?)ALSO Anyone traveling that has not tried the Space saver bags (Samsonite) (maybe I am slow..) They are great! Get SOOO Many more clothes into a suitcase with those things. Get 10 off of Ebay for about $25 with shipping. Thanks for your inputs as usual! :) Pam
One DR1er mentioned she brings things for Clinics in the Barrios..But never replied when I asked what and if I could do that I would..Any info would be great!

Last edited:

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Check the archives as there are many suggestions as to what to bring for the children. When I came, I brought donated medical supplies. If you have a free clinic near where you are, you may want to see if you can donations from them as well. I carried a letter from the doctor who headed the clinic here in case I had problems getting them through customs, but as luck would have it NO ONE checked me on either side and the barrio was very happy to get them. It is definitely worth the extra trouble. It made quite an impression on me.

Tondra

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Looked in Search..

.Thought someone would elaborate on the medical supplies..hint hint Tondra! :) I found some info from 1999.... but that was the only thread really that mentioned much. I will keep looking..

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
THanks DB!

I did not see that thread when I search..wrong 4 words I guess! LOL Thanks! Great info there! PAm

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Pam

I take down school supplies, I have ten kids I bring stuff for and sneakers/backpacks are always on top of the list. Also on their list of things (yes, they fax me a list everytime they find out I'm coming down!) aspirins, baseballs/dolls, and chocolate.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Loading up as we speak!

Have enough clothes for several dozen kids but shoes Duh on me..Of course they need shoes! I will check into the stuff..Sorry all chocolate goes to me..:) Kidding... I appreciate any suggestions and thank you! :) I Sold/gave away more like it, all my horses and just realized HOW MUCH MONEY I CAN REALLY SPEND ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS! :) :) :) :) ..Pam

Last edited: