LMA OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true:laugh: :laugh: :confused: :eek: :cry:

But I am one of the few that has to pay!!!!!!!!!!:cry: :cry:

Thanks Rob.
Tim H.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Thanks Robert, this was good. Who is Frederico Martinez?

I guess underlying the metaphor is the reality that no one is willing to pay the infrastructure costs necessary to improve the system.

It's so weird... my dad was an electrical engineer, dealing in power from places like Nfld and Ontario, where the sources were pure and plenty.

What about solar energy? Is it being used by many on the DR?

D

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Solar energy is not a viable or cost-efficient source of energy in a developing country.

On the other hand, I am surprised that people are not using wind energy considering how it blows in the afternoons here in the north coast. Probably the same situation as with solar energy, its not efficient enough (cost versus power produced).

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Solar Panel

We have a solar panel on the roof purely for our hot water in the main house. (Cannot give the installation costs as it was already here when we bought the place). It works well and produces sufficient hot water for all our needs.
Did a 1 month test between the solar panel and the electric immersion heater. Guess what? The water heater cost us RD$1000 per month!!!!
We now stick with the panel which produces ample hot/warm water even when it's dull and overcast.
It would be interesting to find out the cost of a simple solar panel installation and then work out how long it would take to recover your initial investment? Maybe I'll do that and talk to Jim Belair's wife who I believe sells solar systems.
There is a small blue and white house on the beach east of Cabarete which seems to have solar panels and wind props - perhaps we'll find out who owns that and ask him a few questions?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Solar Panel costs?

Funnily enough just bumped into a guy who did the solar panel investigation in POP last week. 1 panel, 4 ft x 5 ft, costs around RD$30,000!
At our cost saving on the water heater it would take 30 months to make the panel pay it's way?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
and what about computers?

Thanks for comments about solar! I do love the idea, and of wind energy too.

E & A it's great you've got one. I'd be really interested in knowing about that little blue house too. I know someone in the country who did a homemade version... he used solar minimally and it kept all his lights going at least-- nice in a blackout maybe.

Conchman, what it is it about a developing country that makes it less viable? Damn, there's always a reason for it being so! I'm thinking about a friend on a farm in Ontario who would love to use wind energy-- the problem there is all the red tape; said red tape doubles the price of the windmill because, in reality, they want to keep everyone on the grid. The doubling of price is what keeps it from being viable for her family, otherwise they'd do it.

So how do you handle your computers in all these blackouts?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
FYI ...

I haven't stopped in to check on the costs but there is a new Alternative Energy Store on a real (grass!) lot in the middle of downtown Santiago on Calle Restauracon somewhere near, maybe at 30 de Marzo. Check it out, I plan too.

Solar panels do not cost that much. A full 7-10KW system might cost US$15K to US$20K but at the rates they charge for power here you'd have your money back in three years! That's a hell of a quick return compared to anywhere else in the world.

As for solar for water heat, ah, sorry but, DUH! P&A all you need is to bury maybe 1000 feet of plastic pressure water tubes under your concrete or stone driveway/sidewalk/poolpatio, connect it to an old hot water tank, not connected to electricity, and -presto- instant hot water! The sun's so strong here that's a snap.

Using a solar panel to heat the water down here is like swatting a mosquito on your forehead with a sledgehammer.

Tom (aka XR)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Rob, is there a link to that article in Spanish that you have available?

My translation skills aren't up to that. But, I want to share it with a lot of people that I've talked to lately who think that while El Burro is an idiot, the power situation is Lenonel's fault becuase he 'stole' the power companies from the people and 'gave' them to the Spanish.

Tom (aka XR)

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
XR,
DUH?? You said DUH to me? You'll be saying balls to the Pope next!!
Read my post. THE SOLAR PANEL WAS HERE WHEN WE MOVED IN! DUH!!
By the way - been an engineer for over 40 years - buried pressure tubes in concrete? Bin there, dun that, got the tee shirt and sent the coloured picture postcards home to my Grannie!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
So now 'duh' is fightin' words?

:confused:

OK. Fess up. It's really my wife behind the keyboard right?

Well, it wasn't aimed at you. I did read the post and understand that it was a previous install. The 'duh' was kind of more at the whole idea that anyone here would buy such a contraption. I was thinking as I typed actually of a big display/demonstration of a solar water heater at Ochoa when we were there a week ago. Heck, if it's so hard to get hot water why do they think all the water tanks for the roof are made of black plastic?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
How do you know who 'me' is ... Peter or Alex? I keep wanting to edit it to 'us'. I'm guessing Alex, though.

XanaduRanch said:
FYI ...

I haven't stopped in to check on the costs but there is a new Alternative Energy Store on a real (grass!) lot in the middle of downtown Santiago on Calle Restauracon somewhere near, maybe at 30 de Marzo. Check it out, I plan too.

... Using a solar panel to heat the water down here is like swatting a mosquito on your forehead with a sledgehammer.

Tom (aka XR)

A real grass lot! Well, that makes my day. hee.

I will check it out. Nowhere near buying a place and ordering those panels, but I've been interested for a while and this might be a good time to learn a little more about it. I would love to go solar... Canada in winter somehow never felt right.

I know you're in duh land with P & A, but it made me laugh, the sledgehammer & mosquito one. For the record. D

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
XR,
No offence taken - but we are Brits and you know how tetchy we can get at certain times of the month?
DUH to a Brit is tantamount to fightin' talk in some parts - We must meet soon and have a few beers, there's a long story regarding our background and history. Once that's told then you'll maybe understand. (Piscatorially speaking - you cast out the bait, we bit and you reeled us in)!
Notice the "us & we" reference now?? Just to keep some of you guessing?? I'm the 'gobby' one, Alex is the one with the coveralls and Peter is the one without shoes??
There's some really good links and references regarding all things solar and electrical on this and other threads that we'll all soon be experts! Now if we could only sort out this nuclear fusion thingy and deal with the politics of the DR there will be no stopping us??
Peter - OR is it - Alex????????????:confused:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
we & us & our solar panel

hee! Yes, I noticed the 'we and us'. damn. Will have to keep guessing.

Tom, thanks. I saved that PDF. Will need some time to look at more thoroughly. D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hlywud

Well, those generators don't seem very extravagant in cost-- I must do my homework and see what it means in real terms, ie. how much work those kw hours translate too. Will be interesting.

I like the idea that they only weigh 13 pounds-- if a big storm were to blow in, it appears they could be dismantled easily. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that they might be used on a boat... that was very cool.

I had no idea that wind performed in such a way-- double the wind speed, cube the power output. So it seems that wind speed is the biggest factor in usefulness of such a unit... 28 mph is the best efficiency. It will be interesting to study the avgs on north shore to find out.

I have added this website to the personal DR guide.

Thanks! D