Net cost of a car?

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
Not sure if this belongs in this category, since I am mostly concerned with the net cost of maintaining a car in the north coast of DR.

I have had dozens of cars older than myself over the past few years. Primarily my hobby for fun as well as hobby business. Most were muscle cars or simply unique from the late 50s to early 60s.

Over the past year or so, I have sold most of them off. Now all we have are our work commuters (which will be sold prior to moving should we choose to DR) and a 1963 Plymouth valiant convertible.

I have had that car for going on 15 years now. When I lived in California it was an awesome beach car running a slant 6 engine that you simply could not kill. About 2 years ago I started a restoration to it to bring in some modern conveniences as well as rebuild the braking, suspension, drive train system as a regular driver that I would enjoy.

Now I am wondering what my cost will be to:

A) Transport from Miami Florida - POP

B) Get it through customs (When transported I will have at least my temporary residency) I will have receipts for the car that are under $5,000 total. (It will look pretty nice though, I wonder if that is a problem)

C) Operate the car - Gas, insurance, Oil, Registration, Foreign license cost, etc.

All of this is offset by the need for a vehicle if we live in the Sosua or Cabarete area for 10 years or so. How in convenient is it to be without a car?

Any tips, advice or 1st hand experience would be great. I recall a thread on the cost of living and someone said a car costs more than a house to keep up. Why is this? My car is not financed.

Thanks!
Gary

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Gary,

I am a car nut and a MOPAR man so I appreciate your vehicle. To best answer your questions all I can say is it is not worth it.
Bringing in a new model car is a black hole of paperwork and bribes. Bringing in a classic car will double the hassles.
Also have you driven in the DR? The roads are terrible. parts for your Classic will be impossible.
You have 2 choices. Sell it or store it. Get yourself a truck or SUV. Preferbly a Rice burner. Parts and service are easy to come by for Jap tin in the DR.
I, personally, would not live in the DR without a set of wheels. Some on DR1 would disagree with me. Public transportation is terrible at best. Do you want to stand in the August sun waiting for a bus packed with people who have no clue what deodorant is?

Tony C

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
TONY A BIG F FOR YOU PLAIN AND SIMPLE HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN ONE OF THOSE LATELY IF YOUR ANSWER IS NOT SHUT UP! you are just a frustraded Cuban that has nothing to do than just bash other people and other Countries why don you bash yours ha!

nuff said.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ERICKXSON said:
TONY A BIG F FOR YOU PLAIN AND SIMPLE HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN ONE OF THOSE LATELY IF YOUR ANSWER IS NOT SHUT UP! you are just a frustraded Cuban that has nothing to do than just bash other people and other Countries why don you bash yours ha!

nuff said.

You just don't get it don't you?

DR1 is an "Open fourm" I can and will say what I want. Gary asked for an opinion and I gave it. Don't like my opnion? Then prove me wrong. Just don't waste your time telling me to shut up. It is amazing how brave people are when expressing themselves on the Internet.

Funny thing is that nobody else has bothered to dispute my post!

I wouldn't ride a bus in Miami. Why would I ride a bus in the DR? Standing in the heat is not my Idea of transportation. Being packed like sardines with maloderous strangers, whether from B/O or cheap perfume is not my Idea of the Dominican Experience. I would ride a bus in Cuba either.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's try and answer his question

Tony's idea of a Rice burner is not bad. In fact a Toyota diesel 4 x 4 is probably the best.
A friend bought an '83 mercedes diesel

Although fuel prices are 2 X what they were under the former government, cars are still very important.

i am sure that with careful looking around, since you do know vehicles, you will find a good deal.

enjoy.

Oh yes, Tony, a lot of the buses are air conditioned, and very nice....And for heaven's sake: You have to know that Dominicans love to bathe more than eat!! They complain about smelly Europeans and our neighbors to the West...

Tsk, tsk

HB, who appreciates Hemis, too

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
7 years

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but I was under the impression that any cars imported into the country needed to be no older than 7yrs.

My father put nearly 400K on his Valiant before he put it in a ditch.