Sponsoring children in the DR through Children International (warning, long)

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
I?m sure there are many fine organizations helping the impoverished children of the world but the only one I?m familiar with is Children International (www.children.org). I got started with them about 18 years ago when it was called Holy Land Christian Mission International. At that time it was $10 a month to sponsor a child, so I started with two children. I didn?t ask for any particular country or gender (you can if you want) and the first little girl was from Honduras, I think, and they gave me a little boy in the Philippines. Well, the kids come and go from the program; I?ve learned that over the years. I like to think that it?s because their family has experienced an increase in income and no longer need the assistance, but, really, I guess I?ll never know.

On average, the kids from the Philippines seem to stay in the program 3 to 4 years, and then Children International (CI) will send me a new picture and, OK, well, here?s another little guy to get to know. I have a phrase book for Tagalog so I can write them ?Hello, how?s it going? and small talk like that in their own language, but I don?t see myself devoting a lot of time to becoming fluent in Tagalog. And I don?t see myself visiting the Philippines either, not unless I hit the lottery.

So the little girl from Honduras stayed around maybe two years and then one day I got a picture in the mail of my new sponsored child?a very cute, though unsmiling, little girl from Santiago in the Dominican Republic, a place I knew nothing about except that it was in or around the Gulf of Mexico. Well, unlike the other kids who came and went, she stayed in the program?thirteen years and counting. I can?t believe she?ll be eighteen in January.

Meanwhile, the airlines got deregulated and the fare wars began and a trip to the DR began to look more and more possible. Separately, I began teaching myself spanish in order to stretch my brain a little bit (it hadn?t been seriously challenged since college calculus) and also to flirt with the mexican gals who cleaned the building where I was working, sometimes long after dark. Those stories are parts of other posts so I won?t repeat them again. I?ll stick to telling you about CI.

OK, so these days it costs $15 a month to sponsor a child and after my first trip to the DR to meet my sponsored child and her family I took on 3 more kids from the Santiago area. Now $15 may not seem like a lot, but at the very least it enables these kids to go to school, and even though they?re not the best schools, at the very least they?re being taught to read and write and the basics of math, history and the like. For that alone, it?s worth it. The kids also get medical care and information to hopefully keep them well enough to keep going to school. They get fed.

I used to get two photographs a year but it seems like lately they?ve cut that back to one per year. And the letters that the kids write seem to always follow a certain formula. Even if you write them a letter and ask them some specific questions, they seem to send you back what amounts to a form letter. I mean it?s hand-written but it follows the pattern of almost every letter you have gotten before. Keep in mind that the organization is trying to help as many kids as possible and so if they have to herd them all into a room on letter-writing day and they all more-or-less copy the letter off the blackboard, well that?s just how it has to be.

I write my kids in spanish but you don?t have to. I send them birthday cards and Christmas cards that I get at one of the many mexican stores that are opening all over st louis. I think that?s a nice touch, but again, you don?t have to. If you send a special contribution of $100 or more for the child?s birthday or Christmas, CI will take pictures of everything they bought with your money and also some extra pictures of the child. I prefer these to the annual staged pictures in which the kids always seem to look so sad. Are they coached to look sad? I don?t know. I know they make the girls take their earrings out for the annual pictures, but not for the ?extra? pictures. If you send less than $100, they?ll send you a special ?thank you? letter and nothing more. You have to break the hundred-dollar plateau to get pictures and the list of stuff that was bought.

Anything bigger than a letter has to be sent at your own expense. I used UPS but there are other reputable shipping firms. You send the box to the organization office and they deliver it. I sent a big box of books and CDs mostly, a headset and extra batteries, stuff like that. It weighed 20-25 pounds and cost me about $125 to ship, I think. The kids really really like to get letters and pictures from you. You can send gifts, but really it?s best to send money to the CI people and let them decide what the family needs. They really know best. Well, I could tell you more but maybe I?ll stop here and open it up for questions, or you can PM me if you want.

I?m just trying to give you some idea of what the financial commitment will be and what you?re getting for it. And I guess it amounts to an endorsement, in a way. I?m very uncomfortable telling people what I spend on what. As a rule I don?t do it. I was raised to believe that that is nobody else?s business, but if you?re considering sponsorship, I think you need to know some of this stuff. Until the night before I left for my first trip to the DR, nobody, not even my family knew I had sponsored children. I sent an email to my coworkers at about 8:00PM telling them where I was going and why and then I headed for the airport. I felt I owed them at least that.

The average ?life span? of a sponsor is four and a half years, that?s according to CI?s own statistics. My own personal advice would be to stay in it for the long haul if at all possible. You can?t change the world, but you can send a kid to school. Start there if that?s how your heart is leading you. Not everybody can afford sponsorship. Believe me, friends, I?ve been there and done that. Believe me. It so happens that at this point in my life I can. Next year I may be on the unemployment line. Nobody really knows for sure, do they? While I can, I?m going to keep this up.

Thanks for reading,
Mike

ps I posted this because some people asked me to in my Trip Report thread. As I said, I'm kind of uncomfortable with some of the details. I'm a OK guy, I guess, for doing all this, but I think Greg Allman said it best in his song Wasted Words:
"I ain't no saint,
sure as hell ain't no savior.
Every other Christmas I will
practice good behavior" ;) toodles

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've been sponsering a little girl, Carla, in Chile for 6 years and receive 3 to 4 letters a year. Now that she is twelve the letters are starting to show her personality and losing that form letter feel. Unfortunately I haven't been able to afford to go to Chile, what with going to the DR every year and having 3 teens of my own. When I decided to sponser a child I spent a lot of time doing research on different organizations, and decided that children international was the best for your money. The fact that they hire local people, spend no money on bibles...etc, and a small percentage on administration were the deciding factors for me. I also liked the fact that I could chose the country and the sex of the child. I chose a girl because: 1- I have 3 boys, no girls and 2- women have a harder life in most developing countries than males. If each of us can help educate 1 person we can make a difference not just in that childs life but possibly have a positive influence on each person that child know. Sounds idealistic doesn't it.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
SLM and Bob

It made me really happy to read your posts. I was wondering how to get letters to the kids. I have been wanting to write to Damalbi but I am afraid the letters will not get there. She is not sponsored by an organization like that.

Any ideas?

BTW when I was in Luperon I saw a family reading a letter from a sponsor. I peeked over their shoulders and saw it was from Compassion. It warmed my heart to know those letters were getting to the families. A world apart and yet we can reach out to each other.....

Great thread.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
oh wow!

This is a great topic.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories, Mike and Bob.

I am planning a move to the DR soon, and it has been on my mind to find some ways I might contribute, especially to the welfare of children. Yesterday there was a news segment about a woman who worked as an official for the games: she scrubbed floors of the volleyball or basketball courts,12 hours a day for 9 days... and hadn't been paid the meagre amount of $200. She hired a babsitter so she could do so, and her kids are now sick... so today it's really been on my mind.

So your timing couldn't have been better for me.

One hears of all the scams and waste with some of the world's organizations; I'd rather go door to door offering help than line greedy pockets.

Someone on another thread advised a poster to be sure to bring little gifts for the kids-- I'm sorry I can't remember who it was; every time I come in here I've been reading the archives like crazy so as not to ask dumb questions that have been asked 100 times already. But I took it to mean simple things for those children you happen upon wherever. I liked that idea too. Simple gesture, compassionate soul.

Dawn

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Nice to know!

I am glad to hear the CI is a good organization. The thought to help a female was a strong point!!! Very good thinking! The women suffer more in poverty situations. I have never used an organization to contribute as always leary of the actual kids getting the money. I have helped a Philippine family for 7 years. I told my then in-laws, who told their church and they took over and went to visit each year until kids were over 18. So I figure I will have to do something in the DR. I was relieved to know your experience is positive so maybe more people will help out. Kids just do not have a chance in some places. Just think as few as $15 can make a Huge difference to the lives of the neediest kids.
I intend to do my part when I get to the DR and hope everyone on DR1 that comes over would contribute also. My family is willing to bring things with every trip..that was made a prerequisite to their visits! :) I intend to figure out how to do something for a school when I get there. My brother in law is getting the info for the schools in his (campos) area for me now. I figure if the teachers have Chalk, crayons and the necessities to teach the education system will get better. If the kids get educated MAYBE they will learn how to earn a living and the cycle of extreme poverty can be broken..There is always hope!
Keep up the good works for the kids.. It is amazing what $10 worth of crayons/pencils etc can do for a school! I figure one less Happy meal for my son gives 6 boxes of 24 crayons..Every little bit helps! (Someone posted seeing a teacher breaking the crayons in half so each kid got to use a piece..so sad)
Someone also posted great ideas on DR1 for items to bring or buy in the DR for the kids..I found packages of rubber bouncey balls 8 for a dollar at the dollar store yesterday..That has to give more fun than a piece of candy and better for the teeth!
The world would be a better place if tourists who traveled each brought something for the kids on their trips...America is such a well to do country..Amazing how our pets are treated with more compassion than most kids around the world! :( Pam

janiece

Aug 30, 2003
www.jabberholics.com
Hi Mike! I just found this board yesterday and this is my first post. :) I appreciate the info and will look into sponsorship. I haven't yet been to DR but already feel my wandering feet heading me in that direction from Illinois.

Now, I have a question: Can anyone tell me where to send small items such as crayons, paper, pencils, etc so that the children will receive them? I have a friend in Uruguay who says the customs officials take much of what is sent to her and am wondering if it is the same in DR. And if I take such items personally, is there a limit to what I can take (amounts) and do they hassle you for bringing things into the country? After being thoroughly searched going into Mexico I'd like to know what to expect. :)

Thanks!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Where to send stuff for kids!

I was told by a Dominican friend who lives in NJ (Yesterday she told me this) Just take an extra $10 or $20 bill with you when you go through customs and they will not bother you! Her mom carries things to DR for the kids the same way twice a year. I am taking several suitcases of school supplies so I hope that works! :) Pam
Edited:
HillBilly that sounds like a nice thing to do for the deaf girls. I had never read that here before! Should let that be known and people will help out I am sure..

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly's 2?

One, to Janiece: You can use mail drops of friends here that will make sure the kids get their stuff.
We have a Damalbi-Jaquelin Fund that is helping two little deaf girls. Chris and Maine Girl are administering it. You could mail "stuff"to a mail drop in Miami (Business Mail for example) and it will get here. You can mail a check if you want. Their school costs US$10 a month. Drop them a line for the correct address.

Two, A far as children International is concerned, I can vouch ofr the folks here in Santiago. Many of them were my students in the university and are solid and very caring people. St. Louis Mike can vouch for just how were were received when we went to the office...

Three, Mike you are a very good person...

HB

janiece

Aug 30, 2003
www.jabberholics.com
Thank you for the info

Pam: Thanks for the info. Of course I should have known that a few bucks would make the entry easier. ;)

HillBilly: I read a little bit the other day about one of the little girls having hearing tests so I am glad you told me about the fund. I better understand what I read now. Is there a post you could direct me to that will tell a bit of history about how the fund came about? Or would someone be willing to make such a post? I'm sorry if that's already here somewhere; I haven't yet read all of the sticky posts.

Nice to meet you both!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Money talks everywhere!

My mother in law brings things for the locals several times a year and never has a problem but she is Dominican again makes a difference. I am coming sooner than I thought as I have a buyer ~hopefully~for my farm. When I get there if you keep my email I will help you any way I can.
Hillbilly no one put info as to how to help the little deaf girls you spoke of. I have not seen any info on DR1. Except Maine girl mentioned the girls name once or twice but no info on how to contribute to the fund. Can you put that out here for interested people?

janiece

Aug 30, 2003
www.jabberholics.com
A question or 2

Mike and Bob, maybe you can clear something up for me. For some reason the idea that you need to send $100 for birthday/Christmas before you get a picture has me a little bit bothered for some reason. I know you didn't mention this in your post, Bob, but you might have some info on it.

Isn't $100 a lot for one DR child? Are items bought for the whole family? What if there are multiple children in the same family? Is the whole amount spent on the one child while the other children don't receive anything? maybe I'm missing something here that you can explain to me. :confused:

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Re: update

Chris said:
I'll post an update to the Damalbi Fund in a day or two..

Thanks, I am interested. I hadn't heard about this until this thread.

Janiece: I'll try to explain. I reread my post and it was a little vague. As a sponsor, I get one picture of each sponsored child per year. As I said, I used to get two per year and maybe Bob can tell us if he still gets two photos per year. And I get one or two letters per year from each child. That's the basic agreement and attempts to keep the sponsor "connected" with his or her child without excessively burdening the staff in country. For example, each letter has to be translated and that takes a lot time and effort.

In addition, any sponsor can send along a "special gift" at different times of the year. I think the standard ones are Christmas, Easter, the child's birthday and something called "Special Hug" day which is in September and always seemed to me to be nothing more than a way to bridge the other two holidays. I choose to concentrate on Christmas and the birthdays.

If you send $25, $50 or another amount for a "special gift" you'll get a thank-you letter, not from the child, from CI. If you send $100 or more, CI will send you pictures of all the stuff they bought and they put your child in the pictures with the stuff. It's been my experience that the money is spent on the sponsored child and the family in general. For the child they'll buy clothes, shoes, toiletries, pens and paper, toys if they are of that age. For the family they'll buy staples like cooking oil, flour and durables like towels, light bulbs, and those molded white plastic chairs that you see millions of all over the island. Things like that.

They don't seem to spend money on the other children even when I've specifically asked them to and sent as much as $250 to cover the shopping spree. They just don't do it. I've had to learn this over the years and I'm passing this info on so others don't have to guess so much about what gets done with your money. When you think of how small their staff is and how they're trying to stretch each dollar, it really makes a lot of sense that the gifts end up being sort of generic.

I save a little bit each paycheck so I can send $100 for each child on their birthday and at Christmas. As a bonus, I do like getting more pictures of the kids as a result. I think about my kids a lot and always wish I could do more. And I do some other things to help the families and the non-sponsored siblings when I'm there in the DR, to get around what CI won't do but that is another topic. I hope that answers some of your questions. If not, I'm happy to try again :)
Mike

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Charitable Institutions must make available their financial statements

Bottom line is,For every dollar collected,what % of that dollar goes directly to the "clients",in the case of "CI",the children? Do you know that figure for "CI"? Most organizations that don't meet the 75% give back figure,are not considered worthwhile!CC

Anyone who wants to be sure 100% of their donation goes to the children,can stop by the "Britania Pub" in Sosua and make a donation.All the money buys books,supplies,and uniforms so that some of the really poor kids in Sosua can go to school!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
More good info for the kids!

Maybe a permanent section/thread can be started so all who read DR1 (newbies etc) can see the need to bring help for the locals when they come..Kind of a goodwill section like you have the Clown Bin, Men are from mars etc...Just a suggestion..So many people read this forum who come to DR that it could really make a difference if they were informed about the school fund in Sosua or the one for the two girls....It could not hurt the cause! :) Pam

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I will let Robert give the "Home Office" response to a DR1 Charities site!

But my understanding is that DR1 cannot be a "host" for such a forum without attracting about 1 million groups who wish to be listed, and or linked, through DR1!!!!Robert has given the opportunity to whoever wants to volunteer to host such a site to have it listed on DR1,or something like that.Lets get it straight from the horses' ***,I mean mouth!!!!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC;)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I am happy to jump in here in say a few words.

I have also asked for a "Volunteering in the DR" section. Criss has a good point: if you let one in, you have to let them all.

For now we can post our experiences and stories for all to share.

If you do a search on this site for "Damalbi" "Damalby" or even "deaf" you find a lot of posts about my experiences with her. Chris and her sponsored child share a similar situation and we have joined minds to help these girls.

Criss, excellent question about finances.

I'd like everyone to know on my last trip, I spent my own money on transportation and living expenses. Those 8 presidentes at Rocky's were my own pesos. All the money donated so far has gone straight to Damalbi.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Charitable Institutions must make available their financial statements

Criss Colon said:
Bottom line is,For every dollar collected,what % of that dollar goes directly to the "clients",in the case of "CI",the children? Do you know that figure for "CI"? Most organizations that don't meet the 75% give back figure,are not considered worthwhile!CC

This makes me giggle thinking of our own situation. For MaineGirl and myself, that % is 100 so far. Or more accurately, more than 100%. Each time we go somewhere or do something that is required for Jaqueline, I pay out of my 'real' pocket, not out of Jaqueline's 'little' pocket. But, we are small at the moment and the little bits don't break the bank. We will grow and there will be administrative or other types of expenses. I hope we can keep everything we need to buy, local, and everything we do with and for the girls, also to "enrich" the local community.

The more serious question is how does one keep it to 100% or 75% or as close as possible? Obviously an effort such as this has expenses. The is worth while pondering for the financial geniusses amongst us.