David Crockett's menu now priced in US$

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
During a recent meeting, my Dominican agent casually mentioned that David Crockett, where I had dined twice before, now prices items in US$.

Curious, I phoned the restaurant and was told that clients have the option to pay either in US$ or RD$ equivalent with the fixed rate of US$=RD$35.

Incidentally I drove by the place last night and the front parking lot was jam packed. Dollars must be plentiful these days.

I wonder if tips are left in dollars as well ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
As a matter of policy

if someone charges US$ I don't eat there since they rarely drop the prices if the peso strengthens and they are adding costs based on RD$ costs that have not flowed through to them.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Re: As a matter of policy

ricktoronto said:
if someone charges US$ I don't eat there since they rarely drop the prices if the peso strengthens and they are adding costs based on RD$ costs that have not flowed through to them.

In fact, what you said is what's happening (albeit temporarily?) now.

Today Vimemca is buying US$ at RD$32.50 and sellingn at RD$33.80, so David Crockett's RD$35 rate is way out of line.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Then boycott them as we (some of us) do here in Cabarete! If it's priced in US$ we don't go there even if you pay in RD$! What a rip off at those rates?? Ask them to explain why and you'll get some cock and bull story.
Some places in Cabarete stuck it out when approached by the other vendors to price all in US$ - I think the response was 2 words involving sex and travel!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Example: Calypso in Boca Chica

On one day both told us that they got rid of their pizza oven (which was tolerable quality and at least quite close to my hotel) and switched to US$ on the remaining menu (all 9 items) , so we had two separate reasons to leave and never come back.

And we did and we haven't.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This restaurant is not for Tom, dick and harry.

I was in Davy Crockett about 2 months ago. It was full to the max. The prices were outrageously high even in Dominican pesos. Then again, I didn't pay the bill the plastic surgeon did (thanks god). They had very good imported meat and seafood dishes. This restaurant has its own high society clientele, which means they don't need our business. It?s for those people who simply pay and never check the prices. I saw some rich Dominican celebrities and other famous people inside. This is not a place for everyone.
Hell, even if they double their prices in dollars tomorrow, they will still have a house full.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Davey Crokett's

Stupid Name
Decent food
Good Ambience
Great bar
Great Clientel-Great Networking, Hot Babes.

Good place to have dinner before heading over to Tao on a Saturday Night.

Basically if you have to ask the price you probobly can't afford it or don't belong there

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
Out of interest, can anyone tell me the cost of a beer, or drink on the beach in cabarete these days, are most bars there in dollars?
Will be there for xmas, counting down the days....

Lucy

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agree the prices should be in pesos. The problem is the cost of many products was established at 1-35. What do we do now? Even if the US$ goes down to 25/30 does anybody think the suppliers will lower their prices? Dream on. To post the prices in US$ is just showing customers how cheap things are in the DR. ie. A beer RD$50.00 is only US$1.43 at 35 to 1. Where in the world can you get a beer for that price?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Beer Prices .....

Currently you can pay anything for a small Presidente from RD$45 up to US$2 depending on where you choose to imbibe!
Amazing profits for bar owners as you can still buy a case of 24 small beers for RD$365 outside!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Tony C[/B] said:
Davey Crokett's

Stupid Name
Decent food
Good Ambience
Great bar
Great Clientel-Great Networking, Hot Babes.

Good place to have dinner before heading over to Tao on a Saturday Night.

Basically if you have to ask the price you probobly can't afford it or don't belong there bolding mine
Hear, hear! I agree with Tony, the food is OK. Not superb, not great, just OK. And since food is 9/10 of the reason I go to a restaurant I think it is overvalued.

I may be biased. I don't eat meat and that restaurant mainly appeals to the meat-lovers. So, YMMV.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
David Crockett's & Beef

Yeh, it's over priced, and the wait staff can be snotty, but we still go there when in Santo Domingo. I want my imported beef! Can't buy really good steaks in the stores, or at least I haven't found them here in Santiago. Pricesmart filets okay, but still a little lacking.

Eddy is right about recovering costs and quite frankly, when I start "jonesin'", the price isn't much of a deterrent.

Dianne

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Where is this place and what's the approximate price for a meal? Sounds like a good place to expierience, at least once. - D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Gustavo Mejia Ricart, between Triadentes and Lopa de Vega.
Gustavo is a one way going east. It's on your right, single strory building. You can park out front or in the parking lot which is just past the main building.