Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy David Crockett's menu now priced in US$

During a recent meeting, my Dominican agent casually mentioned that David Crockett, where I had dined twice before, now prices items in US$.

Curious, I phoned the restaurant and was told that clients have the option to pay either in US$ or RD$ equivalent with the fixed rate of US$=RD$35.

Incidentally I drove by the place last night and the front parking lot was jam packed. Dollars must be plentiful these days.

I wonder if tips are left in dollars as well

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb As a matter of policy

if someone charges US$ I don't eat there since they rarely drop the prices if the peso strengthens and they are adding costs based on RD$ costs that have not flowed through to them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: As a matter of policy

Originally posted by ricktoronto
    if someone charges US$ I don't eat there since they rarely drop the prices if the peso strengthens and they are adding costs based on RD$ costs that have not flowed through to them.
    In fact, what you said is what's happening (albeit temporarily?) now.

Today Vimemca is buying US$ at RD$32.50 and sellingn at RD$33.80, so David Crockett's RD$35 rate is way out of line.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Then boycott them as we (some of us) do here in Cabarete! If it's priced in US$ we don't go there even if you pay in RD$! What a rip off at those rates?? Ask them to explain why and you'll get some cock and bull story.
    Some places in Cabarete stuck it out when approached by the other vendors to price all in US$ - I think the response was 2 words involving sex and travel!!

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Example: Calypso in Boca Chica

On one day both told us that they got rid of their pizza oven (which was tolerable quality and at least quite close to my hotel) and switched to US$ on the remaining menu (all 9 items) , so we had two separate reasons to leave and never come back.

And we did and we haven't.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This restaurant is not for Tom, dick and harry.

I was in Davy Crockett about 2 months ago. It was full to the max. The prices were outrageously high even in Dominican pesos. Then again, I didn't pay the bill the plastic surgeon did (thanks god). They had very good imported meat and seafood dishes. This restaurant has its own high society clientele, which means they don't need our business. Itís for those people who simply pay and never check the prices. I saw some rich Dominican celebrities and other famous people inside. This is not a place for everyone.
    Hell, even if they double their prices in dollars tomorrow, they will still have a house full.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Davey Crokett's

Stupid Name
    Decent food
    Good Ambience
    Great bar
    Great Clientel-Great Networking, Hot Babes.

Good place to have dinner before heading over to Tao on a Saturday Night.

Basically if you have to ask the price you probobly can't afford it or don't belong there

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of interest, can anyone tell me the cost of a beer, or drink on the beach in cabarete these days, are most bars there in dollars?
    Will be there for xmas, counting down the days....

Lucy

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree the prices should be in pesos. The problem is the cost of many products was established at 1-35. What do we do now? Even if the US$ goes down to 25/30 does anybody think the suppliers will lower their prices? Dream on. To post the prices in US$ is just showing customers how cheap things are in the DR. ie. A beer RD$50.00 is only US$1.43 at 35 to 1. Where in the world can you get a beer for that price?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabarete Beer Prices .....

Currently you can pay anything for a small Presidente from RD$45 up to US$2 depending on where you choose to imbibe!
    Amazing profits for bar owners as you can still buy a case of 24 small beers for RD$365 outside!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast