Residency Visa Question

Yozh

Aug 17, 2003
Hi!
I read that
Birth certificate (a true copy translated into Spanish by a Dominican official translator)
required to make application for residence visa.
Can I translate it in DR?
Does they have official translators from any language there?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You have official translators in Santo Domingo and Santiago (I believe) who can do translations from Russian into Spanish.

Many people are not aware that many Dominicans studied for free in the USSR during the Cold War with scholarships from the Dominican Communist Party (PCD).

Yozh

Aug 17, 2003
Thanks for your reply.
Sounds good to me. Now we have many students from Asia and Africa, but I have never met people from DR.
I have one more question:

Note: There is still some misinformation out there regarding this step. Some outdated websites state that before obtaining the provisional residency, you need to obtain a so-called "residency visa". This is no longer true. The residency visa has been eliminated years ago.

is it true or not?

Last edited:

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
A residence visa is not langer required for an application for provisional residency

Although the very old immigration law establishes this requirement the current government does not require any residency visa from applicants. The visa requirement was still applied under the former PLD government and therefore the provisional residency applications had to be filed with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issuing the residency visa. In the meanwhile provisional residency applications may be filed directly with the Direcci?n General de Migraci?n issuing the provisional residency after appr. 3 months if all the required documents are O.K.