Dominican/Latin Traditions..Pls Help-Very Important!!!

urban416

Aug 25, 2003
Hi,
I'm interested in learning/reading about dominican/latin traditional ceremonies or traditions that I can use for the birth of a new child. I am not a very religious person (thats why I'm not yet considering baptism) but I feel that a child should have some type of introduction to the world...if you get me...a celebration of its life. The father is Dominican so I would like to incorportae some dominican traditions as well. Any websites would be very useful....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What the heck, Baptize the kid

it can't hurt and I'd bet that 100% of Dominican babies are baptized before the age of five.

You can buy an ?zabache to guard against the "mal de ojo" or sew up some garlic in a little pouch and hang it around the kid's neck on a string to ward of "evil spirits"

By and large Baptism is the way to go.....beside, it lets the whole family party a bit...

HB

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
elderly relatives are the best , ask them

You go girl. Keep trying it is well worth it. By all acounts there is a rich pre-christian tradition in DR. It is good to do what my family called 'honoring the Gods of the house' or paying respect to the local Gods.

[sidebar...Sorry I can't spell at the best of times and i am typing in the dark]

When you ask, at first people won't think of anything. Because, it will seem so common place to them that they don't even think about it. "It is just what you do, with babies." It can be as simple as taking the baby outside, undressing it and saying "Hello world this is my baby. Baby, Welcome, this is now your world".

Then you may find that people are just reluctant to talk. Be patient, they get tierd of beeing ridiculed. If you can't find an elderly relative, keep asking especially older people. In a culture with high infant mortality, there will be plenty of traditions, usually the women know. Ask if anyone knows about mid-wifes. Can you ask in Spanish? Often, the daughter of a mid-wife, went along as a child, and will remember. Here in the US I would check, with a Botanica. Maybe the same in DR. Are you in DR? There are books by PhD's, if you have to, I can look up the names. Still, relatives are best, so they feel respected, and it adds the conection with the ancestors thing. In a pinch, I have even seen 'Disney' used quite effectively as a model, i.e. the fairy godmothers' good wishes.
But, as is true every where and time in history, the peasant religion tends to be sub rosa. In DR it is mixed into the church, but to what extent... is for scientists.
Best of luck.
-k