Misc. questions on DR life.. l.d. telephone, computer repair, etc...

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hi all,

These boards hold a wealth of knowledge on the DR. Thanks so much to the patient ones in the know. I've got some specific questions, and I hope I'm not being too redundant. You'll never know how I've zipped my lips and read the archives instead of posting. :)

1. long distance charges-- what should I expect? This is of particular interest because I spend 5-8 hours a week on the phone to Europe-- at 8 cents/minute from here, it costs about $200/month. Am thinking it might be more economical to get a flight to Miami and a phone card and call from there instead.

2. Are there some decent computer whizzes around? I never have problems with my system... as long as I have access to a whiz.

3. I am planning to buy a laptop... but should I hang on to my desktop too and import? It's not new-- a 450 mhz cpu, 10 gig hd, 128 mb ram, CD/DVD rewriter, 17", .25mm pitch, monitor (but big box). It's perfect for the writing work though. Or, should I purchase a more up-to-date desktop first, and import that. I expect to have greater graphic needs in future-- a digital camera and art-related software, memory hogs.

4. natural foods-- are there natural food stores-- things like organic granola, other foods, vitamins? Or best to bring from US on occasion?

5. This one is really worrying me-- do you protect your computers in some way from blackouts? I'm particularly nervous about writing-related work; am good at backing up, but even a page lost sometimes is too much.

Thanks for any advice you may have. D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Get an Orange Cell Phone. Calls to Europe are the same as if you called across the street.

There are Geeks everywhere!

I just bought a used computer, Pentium 3 128 ram 20 gig CD 3.5 for under 300US dollars. Monitor is xtra as well as burner. Still cheaper than the hassle of bringing in anything other that a notebook. So either bring in a notebook with no hassle or buy there cheap enough.

Don't know about health food. If its healthy it wont taste good and be more fattening than steak.

Buy a UPS.

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Hi dawnwil, I know a very reliable computer technician who can help you with your system and can sales you a laptop too. about the natural food store , I don?t know where are you located but in the major gyms of Santo Domingo city there are many stores of that kind. Now I remember there are several natural food stores here in santo domingo, if you?re interested I can get the addresses for you..
About the blackouts I suggest you to get an UPS and plug your pc from it , it?s gonna help you a lot because it?s give you the time to turn off the pc properly..

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Steak again?

That Orange cell phone sounds intriguing. So how are costs rated?

Ok-- computer stuff sounds very cool too; I really didn't want to lug it all from here to there.

Have only known UPS to come in a brown truck size, but it must be a gadget. Power surge ... universal power surge? some such thing?

I'll let the health food comment pass... this time. No marbling here. But about the steak-- I am noticing little steak comments all over the place, seems there is a fine demand for good beef there. hee. You do realize I spend significant time in Alberta and Montana?

Is it allowable to bring frozen beef? I doubt it, but ... I'm thinking it would be a good barter item.

I recently drove a few pounds of moose burger (my fav--very lean) across the border for a friend; was surprised to find out it was allowed, as long as I wasn't planning on strapping a hind quarter to the roof.

Thanks for thoughts, Escott.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Steak again?

dawnwil said:
...Have only known UPS to come in a brown truck size, but it must be a gadget. Power surge ... universal power surge? some such thing?...

A UPS (universal power supply) is a gadget. You get them in various sizes of various types and you can buy them here at a reasonable price. It can be anything from about big loaf of bread size, to a monster that I have here, that is bigger than a normal computer CPU. You plug it into the wallplug and plug your computer and peripherals into it - it has a battery and it keeps your computer up and running for a period of time, usually 10 to 15 minutes, when you have a power failure, or when the power switches from the grid to your own generator or invertor. You get UPS's with voltage regulators built in or you can get a voltage regulator separately. I have a voltage regulator into the wall, a UPS into the voltage regulator and my computer stuff into the UPS. But then, I'm a geek and cannot afford to lose anything.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Lissa & Chris, cool!

Lissa, I'm glad to know some health food stores are to be found somewhere. Not to worry about addresses yet-- it will be fun to go searching when landed. :) I guess you're in SD. I'm not sure where I'll end up, but if there I'll PM you about the technician. Thanks so much.

Chris, excellent explanation. Geez, some of those are monster gadgets! I hadn't heard of them to be honest... they're not widely used by personal users here; we have those little power surge bars instead. But this is a relief to know, and well worth it.
Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dawnwil, where are you going to be located? If we know where you will be, we can be more specific about the services you are asking about.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UPS and other stuff

You have to get a "Spike BAr" to avoid voltage spikes.

Then you get a Voltage Regulator, the bigger the better. This controls voltage ups and downs that can burn out a UPS.

And then you get the UPS or Uninterrupted Power Supply unit, as expensive as you can afford. They do fail but you just have to change the batteries, as long as they haven't been burned out by a power spike!

When the power goes out:
A) the Spike Bar keeps any power surges when it comes back on line from frying your unit.
B) the Voltage Regulator makes sure that the computer receives steady 110/60 voltage, and
C) The UPS gives you plenty of time to save everything and close down the computer. You can finish your thoughts, send the e-mail or close a bunch of web sites you have been brousing.

The Spike Bar to the outlet

The Voltage Regulator to the Spike Bar

Your UPS to the Voltage Regulator

Your CPU, monitor, and Printer to the UPS

There are four more slots on most Spike bars so you can put other periferels(sp?) in there.... I have my camara AC power plugged in there as well as my DSL modum and speaker system.

Bring the biggest and badest laptop, and get no hassles..

Anything else, get it here. D&D or Chris or I can recommend a person for you...

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sleeping..

Hillbilly is absolutely right and I'm miserably wrong --- a UPS is an Uninterrupted Power Supply unit - I must have been still sleeping when I wrote this morning...;)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Don't waste your money on a UPS.

Use an inverter instead. If this is the Dominican Republic, then an inverter is mandatory anyway.

In at least 2 different recent threads I described how to get a cheap ($200, maybe) inverter system (with maintenance-free battery) that will power a desktop computer and monitor for maybe 5 hours. If you need details, pm or email me.

I would also use a laptop only as a last resort - too many limitations. Take down a desktop one, if you can handle it. The last I heard, computers are still allowed into the DR tax free. I did it myself not too long ago.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris, and Hillbilly,

Just one point you missed, not to open another can of worms, but she may need an electrician wherever she stays first.

In my experience it's very rare to find a ground actually connected to anything here. All of those devices are completely worthless if the outlet's ground pin is not connected. Took me over a year here just to get a few outlets at Xanadu wired correctly!

Get ready to be shocked!

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Uhm! that explains many things XR - like why your hair is so curly these days ;) NOT meant to open a can of worms!

andy a - you possibly know a lot about electricity, but I do know a little about computers. A UPS is necessary whether you have an invertor or not. Preferably a good UPS with a built-in voltage regulator (for both over and under voltage). The difficulty with an invertor usually is that it feeds your whole house. So, now you have a lot of equipment (fridges etc) having to work on the same 'circuit' if you like, as your computer. Computers are expensive and data is a pain to restore. A UPS looks after your computer alone, to protect your computer. In my mind, it is a very necessary accessory.

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Chris,

Are suggesting that a UPS regulates the voltage better than an inverter?

One gets so much more bang for the buck with a full-blown inverter system, as opposed to the miniature pre-packaged UPS.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Andy, a UPS is absolutely necessary even if an inverter is used. Typically the response time of an inverter to a power fluctuation is well over 100ms. A computer will die if power is significantly interrupted on a scale 10x finer, around 1000ms.

Chris, I've earned every curl on my goldilocks thanks to the hundreds of electrical shocks I've received here caused by systems without grounds. Hell, I've got 198VAC between the netural plug on my outlets here (Read: The Computer Cases!) and the bare tile floor! It is supposed to be at zero VAC!

Bottom line: Get your outlets propely grounded, or forget anything written above. It won't help and your computers will be toast.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Whatsamatter Cris? You don't like my new do? I can go back to wearing baseball caps next time I come out to drink some wine if you like!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
UPS vs Invertor

I agree with you in terms of bang for the buck - and I am not suggesting that a UPS regulates voltages better than an invertor. I'm making one point only, and that is that a UPS is additional protection for your computer - and gives you time to shut the machine off elegantly no matter which part of your power system fails. A well-maintained UPS to me is insurance - especially if you cannot afford to lose data.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Xanadu,

I'm referring to running the computer off the inverter only - not being switched.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not sure what you mean about being 'switched' unless you're planning on an X-Treme vacation spraypainting cars in Singapore.

Ba-doom-ba-doom.

An inverter is simply too slow and has too many other high impedance loads to deal with. Do exactly what HB suggested, inverter or no, but also make sure that the outlet that all this is plugged into has a proper ground. I can't stress that enough. Without a ground to disapate any surge the rest is worthless.

Tom (aka XR)

Wow! This was my diablo post! Numero 6-6-6!

Last edited:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
In this horserace- I pick Hillbilly.

Like that name a lot. And his post was a winner... lyrical, reminded me of that kids' song... you know, the elbow bone's connected to the wrist bone one. Maybe if I can hum along with a tune, the info will stick. There's much more to it than I had realized.

Just kidding, all. Wow, this is great stuff-- I'm starting some files for different DR topics; will hone & refine and end up with a personalized guidebook to bring with me.

Cripes, the un-grounded wires is the best news of all. Thanks XR and Chris! You've given me a great idea. My hair's straight... always wanted curls. cool!

Now about the grounding-- would this be the situation at Eddy's Condos, or other such rentals?

Hillbilly, I will bring the biggest baddest laptop! I've realized I will need one... for time spent in US if nothing else.

It looks like even with a laptop, it's batteries will fry if you're recharging when an infamous surge surges?

andy a, I did see one of your messages on the inverter, but didn't understand it then... $200 is not a lot to spend for that. It might be good to have the option of working through a blackout.

Now that I'm up to speed on this electrical business, I won't ruin a computer for foolishness, so I'm thrilled.

---

Oh, Ken... I'm not committed to a location yet, but I'm thinking either north shore or Santiago... no need to be in SD, so I might as well take the slower pace. When I'm here, I expect to be writing fiction, so the less noise the better. My lifestyle will be come-and-go for a while, so I'm very unsure about the best way to 'live' on the island. Will likely look at monthly rentals... ie. Eddy's condos perhaps, until I am more sure. This might be my way to go for a year or more.

I've actually been getting rid of stuff for ages now, ala George Carlin. Anyone know his great 'Stuff' routine? Honestly, for years it has inspired me to keep life simple! So even if I brought the old desktop, I could follow another good suggestion--air freight one crate, and pack a couple of extra suitcases. I figured that if I sold the hd and monitor for only $200 Can, maybe it would be better to bring it in and if I didn't need it, or upgraded soon after, someone else could make use of it. ie, a school?

btw, You DR1's crack me up. One thing for sure, humor is alive and well on the island. yippee.

Truly, thanks for all your thoughts. Dawn

Last edited:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
another 'duh'

My brain must have been fryed earlier... and no ungrounded outlets to blame. :(

It would be insanity to freight that computer system, worth $200 Can, from one corner of the US to the other, then air freight it to the DR. For donation or otherwise, still best to buy there.

As already advised. :)

Duh .... D