Moving from La Romana to Las Terrenas

Capt Gary

Aug 19, 2003
I am moving from La Romana to Las Terrenas in Oct. Anyone have any ideas about moving my furniture and belonings? I don't have a lot. Maybe enough to fill 1 1/2 pick up trucks or a small panel truck. It kind of worrys me that all I own will be in a truck with someone I dont know.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Speaking from Experience

We've moved several times here. Each time with more and more stuff! I am through with that!

It's not that hard though. Pay someone with a large truck, not a pickup. It cost us maybe 800 pesos (before the recent devaluation) to get everything from Santiago to Sosua. The truck was stuffed, but they loaded everything, and unloaded everything and drove here for us for that.

Do watch them as they put things into the truck! And how it's loaded into the truck. Supervise constantly! I had a microwave badly dented up, and a new refrigerator scratched badly across the front.

Finally, ride with them. Get your stuff in the truck, and go with them in the truck to your new house. If there's no space drive along in your car behind them.

Tom (aka XR)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
XanaduRanch has the right idea. Movers here tend to just load the trucks and go, not to think about the well-being of your goods. I wish to add, if at all possible get a box truck (enclosed) to protect your goods from the elements and theft. Also, if you can obtain plenty of corrugated cardboard (try the Jumbo store), you can use it to encase your household items to protect them from transit damage. Old blankets, pillows, goma (foam bedding) are also useful. Regards, PJT

Capt Gary

Aug 19, 2003
Thanks for the fast response. I know Caribe tours does freight. Ever hear of them doing a move. At least it's an established company.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Having lived here three years I would rather pay someone with a truck I think. More control. Caribetours might be fine but more red tep to get through I would think to make sure your stuff was OK, and probably at 5x the price, and without any assurance that your things will be treated better. At least with the guys in the truck you can stand there with the whip and make sure they do it to your satisfaction. Just my opinion.

I am not kidding about the whip.