Project Damalbi - Update from Cabarete

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
An update from Cabarete on Project Damalbi.

This coming week is Back to School week. So, tomorrow and Tuesday we will be buying school clothes for Jaqueline, settling her in with her family in Puerto Plata and then she starts school.

We've not done too much to prepare, although I have a box of toys and school stuff hidden in the back of my closet, to give to Jaqueline from us, when she has to leave her family. We still have some details such as transportation to and from school to sort out. With the help of her family in Puerto Plata, where she will be staying, I think we will manage to sort something out.

I still have promises of donations that I have not followed up and now that school is starting, we'll start following up on those as we have to pay the very reasonable monthly school fees and pay for school requirements and clothing. Donations can be given to me in Cabarete, to Grahame (BushBaby) in Puerto Plata and to HillBilly in Santiago. We are planning this next week to open a local bank account for the donations, where people can transfer funds directly. Again, thank-you to all who give so freely. We are trying to work out with Jaqueline's parents that they are responsible for board and lodging. The fund is responsible for clothing, school supplies, transportation and anything additional that may come up.

We've arranged with a husband and wife team who own dance studios and teach dance in Canada, to give of their time and offer to the school some movement and basic dance lessons. The date has not been set but we're looking forward to this. It will be quite an experience to see how deaf children take to movement and dance lessons.

For those of you who asked for the history of this small project, here is an older thread for reference. http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22935&highlight=project+Damalbi

In addition to what we're trying to do in our own communities to assist and help where it is needed, I've had an enquiry from another member of the board in terms of what can be done for his area, where there are a number of deaf people. I am in the process of setting up a visit to him, to talk about this, as our vision is a little broader than Damalbi and Jaqueline alone. The thought that I had was to work with the Puerto Plata school for the Deaf and figure if we could put a 'travelling' teacher on the road. This is the next step for me in this small project. Then further down the road, I would like to approach a few corporate sponsors, to see if we can strengthen the fund in this way. But the small next step is to settle Jaqueline in school.

Any further ideas, suggestions and input from the board members will be gratefully received as always.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Remember to call see me next time you are across!! I have the donation of Cash & Clothes from Hillbilly to pass over!!! Are we seeing you both on Wednesday 2.30 @ Alberto's?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
we've done it...

When I started this small project, I thought I'd never see the day when we'll experience actual results.

But now the day has come. Jaqueline is in school and spent her first weekend home the past Saturday and Sunday. I was waiting for everyone to get tired of the effort by the second week but she was on her way back, early this morning, happy as lark! Mamma reports that everyone is content and happy. Jaqueline is now learning sign language at a rapid pace to be able to communicate with the other kids and teachers at the school. This little flower is growing!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Sounds so good.

I hope Damalbi can get into a similar situation--I think it is just a matter of her family letting her stay in POP during the week.

Meanwhile the student council at my new school wants me to do a presentation on Project Damalbi as they are interested in doing a fundraiser for it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
WoW!

Thanks Scott! School fees are 350 pesos per month, so your contribution will pay for schooling, just about until the end of the year. Good eh!

MaineGirl, I still need more words and pictures for the long-outstanding web site. Are you still planning to visit in November?