Missing Birth Papers

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
I have 3 stepkids that I am trying to bring to Canada with my wife. They are aged 21, 19 and 18. As I understand it from my wife, they cannot get their cedulas (which I need copies of in order to submit the immigration papers here in canada) because El Registro "lost" their actos de nacimiento. it has been over 2 months now that she has been trying to get help from the govt offices in Sanchez (for province of samana) and santo domingo. Would it be useless to write to the Canadian Embassy there? any suggestions? she has even offered money, but they said it wouldn't help!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You need to provide more detail on the "lost" birth certificates. Does your wife have copies of the certificates and they just don't show up in the original books in S?nchez? Or nobody has copies of the birth certificates and the children perhaps were never properly "declared" at the Oficialia?

In this last scenario, new declarations of birth would have to be made. The law mandates that all "late declarations" ("declaraciones tard?as") be reviewed by the Court of First Instance of the jurisdiction where the births took place before issuing valid birth certificates.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Would it be helpful to start acquiring supporting evidence of their existence?
Like Baptismal Certificates, school Matriculaci?n documentation, report cards, hospital records, ANY papers that show their continuing participation in their life in the DR??? In other words, a "legalized" paper trail from known institutions might be of help...
Are they young enough by DR law to have delayed certs of birth?
It seems we can add that to the basic needs:
something to do
someplace to live
someone to love
something called a birth certificate...
Best of luck to your family.
mk
glad to see Mr. Guzm?n answered while I was ranting... Mary

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Acta de nacimiento

Thanks for your answer! My wife tells me that she does indeed have the 3 "actas de nacimiento" but that the problem is with el libro 60A in santo domingo. apparently she has made the requests via sanchez and they are waiting on the junta central electorale in santo domingo but it is taking forever. she tells me that the junta has big problems with this libro 60a. any ideas on how to speed this up? she has gone to the junta twice but didn't seem to help at all.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How 'bout a road trip? Just make sure you have lots of copies to show them. I'd hate to lose the originals.
mk

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The Junta has been on an unofficial holiday for months because of all the political infighting that went on until recently. The President of the Junta was forced to resign after clashing with the rest of its members. Meanwhile, there was no time to take care of Civil Registry business. Now they realize that they are behind organizing the 2004 Presidential elections so their main efforts is being directed towards correcting that situation, not on taking care of the backlog of civil registry cases.

So be patient or get an attorney with inside contacts who may be able to speed things along.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Thanks!

thanks for your help Dr. Guzman! can you provide inside assistance? if so, let me know your tel nbr and i shall ask my wife to call you if she has no luck this week.