Biggest Sporting Event on the Planet

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Does anyone know if Eddies in Sosua will have TV coverage of the Rugby World Cup starting mid October? Or where else I could catch a couple of games?

And before anyone disagrees with me calling this the biggest sporting event on the planet, it really is the biggest. 90 Participating countries of which 20 countries will reach the finals. (Not States fellows, Countries).

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
revising...

OK - the biggest sporting event on the planet, this year. Soccer and the Olympics draw larger numbers of spectators and television viewers. I've seen quotes of anything between 1 billion to 4 billion expected viewers but this is not so important and I really do not want to argue it, or spend the time researching it. Numbers this big, make me tired. In any event, it has not happened yet, so these are funny numbers anyway.

My question is if anybody knows of a sports bar or similar type establishment that may have television coverage?

For the Americans out there, your national team, nick-named the Eagles, are playing as well in some of the first qualifing rounds. They won their first two matches. They'll be knocked out quite early but they're a good bunch of players with a lot of heart (two South Africans playing for your team). I did not expect them to even qualify. President Bush is expected to attend a game or two - the rumour goes that he played a bit of rugby in college. So stop hassling me OK! I just want to watch a few games.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Eddy - I would also be interested in watching some matches the first week of november.

Barry.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The Rugby package should cost around US$5,000.00 - Any financial help would be appreciated. Start a fund and if we can collect that amount I'll buy the games.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Ill wait for the reruns - Don't you get the RUGBY channel from fox -it's free but the games are all taped.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
What channel is that, Barry? I might let Chris watch it here for maybe only half of that $5000 if it's actually available on my system. That, or a few bottles of champagne.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
XanaduRanch said:
What channel is that, Barry? I might let Chris watch it here for maybe only half of that $5000 if it's actually available on my system. That, or a few bottles of champagne.

Ha XR! you forget the number of satellite dishes on my roof - I'll connect a few and watch all by myself for free (you can bring the champagne!) But.. might have to borrow your television though! Remember, we are a 'television free' household.

Barry, the previous worldcups or other games we actually received on comcast pay per view - but, that was in the US. So, any further news will be welcome.

Eddie, no way - for $5,000 I can fly to Sydney and buy a ticket -- is it really this expensive? Anyway, let us know if you can find anything alternate.

Am I confused or were some posts removed from this thread?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:

Am I confused or were some posts removed from this thread?

Yes, trying to cut down on the "stupid" posts.
Some people don't get it. If you have nothing of value to add to a thread, don't post.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
He's just torked that 800 million people watched the superbowl last year and not cricket or rugby or soccer and I pointed that out.

Wouldn't want that info to go too far!

Edited to add:

Barry - that may be a fox channel but I don't think it's on DSS. Least I can't find it surveying channels here. Besides, I'd have to start drinking to want to spend anymore time actually searching for, uh, rugby.

Chris - yeah you've got the dishes. I'll come over with the champagne and an ambulance and also a crane to pull the big one off your head when the bolts break and it falls on you while you try to move it. One of these days in a good wind it, and your roof are going to wind up as the centerpiece of your dining room table.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Some of the games might be available on residential PPV. We won't really know untill a week or so before. Setanta easily get that kind of money in the US, as commercial businesses Bars etc. (By Contract) MUST charge a minimum (Usually US$10.00/20.00) pp. at the door. Impossible to "Steal" as you need a special receiver. To my knowledge and as per the contract I have with them, Eddy's has exclusive rights in the DR. However if someone gets lucky and picks up the feed, usually Mpeg2 off one of the Atlanic satellites, I would appreciate knowing.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hey Eddy, if you've got exclusive rights here I hope your getting a good percentage of the door!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: We will have it !

CaribbeanGeorge said:
On big screen at the Voodoo Lounge.
Presidentes 3 for $100 pesos.
Enjoy.

Sounds good! Are you serious - about the world cup, not about the Presidentes ;) Are you going to open up all hours of the morning and night? or planning just for a few games?.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Re: We will have it !

CaribbeanGeorge said:
On big screen at the Voodoo Lounge.
Presidentes 3 for $100 pesos.
Enjoy.

Wheres the VooDoo Lounge ?

And do u think u can get Bianca to moonlight ?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Which game(s)

do you plan on showing? Live or taped? I'll send you my people cause at that time I'm usually closed.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tom

I won't be buying the games. So no door charges LOL. Not enough people interested. I'll probably show the games available on regular PPV (Might be a few) during my normal hours. For the early or very late stuff, let's see what Voodoo will offer.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
The channel is FSWLD fox Sports World. Comcast is phasing this channel out and mixes sporting shows with FNC Fox News Channel.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Setanta Sports http://www.setanta.com/sport/ have exclusive rights to these games and I can't see them farming it out to FSW or anyone else other than tape delayed 7 days or more. It would screw up their comercial market. Let's wait and see and hope for the best for everyone concerned.