Baseball Bitch: the no-shows

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
When it counts, these guys are a no-show; that would be Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez. Two of the most recognized and celebrated baseball citzens of the DR, and pseudo-members of my beloved Red Sox Nation.

Whenever we seem to get down to the nitty gritty, these guys just don't show up - physically or otherwise.

Manny took the 3 game series off - against the primary division rival Yankees - because he didn't feel good. Well, apparently he didn't feel that bad, he was in a hotel bar socializing with some Yankees Saturday night after a loss, one he didn't even attend. Tough to figure, tough to swallow, simply brutal.

Add in Pedro's shortest - and worst - start of the year, a 4 inning sunny-Saturday-stinker, one in which he was posted a 3 run lead before he took the mound in the 2nd. Ayy dios.

Imagine that, $32.7 milliion a year worth of no-shows.

Manny's 3 game siesta === that's a sick leave worth $318,000. Let that sink in for a minute. That's roughly 556,927 Presidente's.

Oh, and of course the series happened to be with the most "hated" rival, the NY Yankees. I really like Manny Ramirez, but after seeing him tell Joe Morgan of ESPN on Thursday how he dreams of playing for the Yankees someday (oh great, here's $125 million thanks for the laughs Manny, good luck with the Yankees) I really wonder what the hell is wrong with these two.

Above and beyond the unnerving special treatment they both get; each left a day early before the All-Star break this year, as well as last year. Pedro took 3 or 4 more days to return to S.D. for the lighting of the Pan Am torch (this is acceptable, but just another indicator of his priorities).

Pedro called in sick last week too. He was to face their chief competition for a playoff spot - the Oakland A's - after they beat the Sox in Pedro's absence, the A's took the Wild Card lead.

Both players quit and left before game 162 last year as well. Pedro is babied like no other player in the history of baseball; pitch counts, 5, sometimes 6 days of rest, early exits, no minor league rehabs, good faith contracts, and he's on the DL so much you have to wonder what this guy is made of.

Neither of them talks to the press now because they (the press) are too harsh on them. Boston's press and the yokels they stir up are harsh and ruthless, that's agreed, so I don't blame them.

However, criticism is part of the job, and these two offer a lot to criticize. These guys have some really thin skin.

In spring training, Pedro complained that if he didn't get his option year (team owned option - that means they had to pay for the right) picked up, he'd refuse to play in Boston again.

Against all common sense and diligent management, the Red Sox gave him the $17.5 million for next year in good faith, again catering to his pleas for "respect".

Soon after getting the option picked up, he said it didn't change anything and that he'd still entertain other offers. What the hell does he know about respect?

Since then he's gone on to say that he "definitely won't play in Boston after '04." Wow, what a great teammate.

How can someone with so much, complain so much? Does he ever look around and see that everyone is under the same microscope in sports? What the hell makes him think he's so special?

As I write this, David Ortiz, giving a grayish 65% while running the bases fails to slide into home and is tagged out. It shouldn't have been a close play.

Red Sox Nation doesn't take that kind of crap sitting. He'll hear about it, I'm curious to hear his response, "I'm not talking to the press anymore".

I know this, it all looks very familiar.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef

Nice to see you posting . There is no one on DR1 who understands baseball as well as you.

Pedro does have a very poor track record when it comes to playing hurt,sick,what have you. Manny Ramirez is nothing more than a chopo. I watched a game a few weeks ago in which Manny was playing left field and he had a big water bottle sticking out of his back pocket. He had it there for a whole inning. He didnt care that it restricted his moblility (which is close to nada to begin with); he just didnt want to get thirsty.

The athletes who have a desire to win and respect for the game play through injuries (within reason) and flu's and such. Do you remember Kirk Gibson of the Dodgers in the late 1980's? The dodgers were in the world series and he had such a violent stomach virus that he couldnt stand up. Despite this he begged manager Tommy LaSorda to let him play and LaSorda refused. As the game was being played, Gibson layed immoblie on the trainers table in the clubhouse. Late in the Game, LaSorda came into the clubhouse and asked Gibson if he could pinch hit and Gibson said "yes". He then stumbled out onto the field , and promptly hit a game winning home run. The image of him hobbling around the bases pumping his fist in rapture has landed him in baseball immortality. He is an athlete. Guys like Manny Ramirez who wont show up at the ballpark because of a sore throat are babies.

I think some of these guys are just making too much money and have lost all focus on what being an athlete and a winner really means.

Larry

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mr Negative meets Mr negative

Hey Cleef, are you trying to take away my patent on Bad News Boys Pedro and Manny????

Ok, I'll let you steal the limelight today. But these guys are my exclusive bash subjects. So are Felix Sanchez, Juana Arrendel and Wanda Rijo, the Pan Ame fakes.

I will let you have overblown David Ortiz. Or overrated Bartolo Colon, who must weight now over 400 lbs.

TW

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Did Manny take the short bus?

I heard that Manny was borderline retarded. Is that true? I heard that he was real slow and was labeled special ed and rode the short bus with the kids who wore helmets and licked the windows. Is any of this true?

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
Re: Mr Negative meets Mr negative

Originally posted by Golo100
"Ok, I'll let you steal the limelight today. But these guys are my exclusive bash subjects. So are Felix Sanchez, Juana Arrendel, Wanda Rijo"
.........And every other person in this world who is Dominican. Ha!!! With so-called Dominicans like Golo, who needs Haitians??

As for the original poster, where should I begin with this guy??

-M Ramirez became sick and was in fact TOLD by his manager not to play for fear that other players might get infected.
-Wrong about the "socializing" hotel-bar thing. M Ramirez lives in this hotel(Carlton Ritz?). Should he be eating his luch/dinner inside the bathroom?. by the way, that yankee with him was Enrique Wilson, a former teammate and current pal.
-Yes Pedro had a bad game, but this is the only time this season that he lost a game like this while been healthy. also the man had NADA runs support in all of his previous games.
-Manny is from Washinton Heights,New York. a life long Yankees fan who even while playing for the Indians made no secret of some day playing in his beloved New York.
-Daivy Ortiz is your best clutch hitter this season period(you lucky dog); it's fair to mention that Ortiz is doing all this while getting pay the minimum salary. At 6'4" this dude is a toletero, not a base stealer.

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Focus, Mannygate and the Dishwasher

Gelmi-an said:
.........And every other person in this world who is Dominican. Ha!!! With so-called Dominicans like Golo, who needs Haitians??
Focus Gelmidashan, focus. This is a baseball discusion.

As for the original poster, where should I begin with this guy??
How about waking up, adding two extra scoops of some fresh ground, double the sugar and read todays papers?
-M Ramirez became sick and was in fact TOLD by his manager not to play for fear that other players might get infected.
Gelmidashan, where did you get this information from? He was TOLD not to play yesterday too. Infected with what? MannyI'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'I'tis?

Maybe Grady Little is a genius after all, because if you had a team of Manny's you'd have to ask the national anthem singer to jump into the catchers equipment, get the groundscrew boys and put them in the infield and get a couple hot dog guys and an usher to fill out the outfield. Who's going to pitch? Pedro's probably sick too. YEAH TEAM!!!

If I TOLD you I had 5 aces would you fold? Sounds like it's worth a try.
-Wrong about the "socializing" hotel-bar thing. M Ramirez lives in this hotel(Carlton Ritz?). Should he be eating his luch/dinner inside the bathroom?. by the way, that yankee with him was Enrique Wilson, a former teammate and current pal.
Wrong? It was reported in all the major newspapers, MLB.com, on the news and on the airwaves?

If he was doing anything short of mime exercises in the corner by himself, I'd say he was socializing. Thoroughly contemptible. If you debate this point then it's useless to go on. You clearly don't "get it".

Of course, Manny can eat wherever he wants and socialize with whomever he wants. However, the power of perception in this case - when he's been calling in sick for the biggest goddamned series of the f'n year - is so incredibly lopsided to blatant and incomprehensible ignorance, it's completely unfathomable to me that someone could come to his defense. But some people just have to wave their freak flag someplace where it can be seen. Thanks DR1.com
-Yes Pedro had a bad game, but this is the only time this season that he lost a game like this while been healthy. also the man had NADA runs support in all of his previous games.
WHAT? If we were at a bar talking sports I would have left to talk to the dishwashers by now.

They just scored 13 runs for him in his previous two starts. That's a run per inning pitched. How old are the newspapers your reading? Make sure they say 2003 on them.

Go back three weeks ago and Pedro goes 5 decent innings against Oakland and loses, not bad. 2 of 3 starts before that were losses, healthy losses. Listening to him whine and complain all the time you'd swear he's never really healthy, but whatever. Menstrual cycles will do that kind of stuff. But I swear, if I hear he misses his next period and misses a start because of morning sickness, I'm coming to Washington Heights to find you, and then you're in real trouble fella.
-Manny is from Washinton Heights,New York. a life long Yankees fan who even while playing for the Indians made no secret of some day playing in his beloved New York.
(Dolores, if you somehow made it to here, please STOP reading and click "Atras".)

I don't care if Manny's mom perched her ankles on the Stadium's bullpen fence and Mickey Mantle is the fater. I don't care if Yogi Berra delivered the bumbling bundle of ignorance on home plate and Steinbrenner is his hetero man servant. If you play for the Red Sox, you don't "wish" to play for the Yankees. On planet Manny, there has to be a recording chamber that took down the address of where he is, who he is playing for and who are his arch enemies - in business at least.
-Daivy Ortiz is your best clutch hitter this season period(you lucky dog); it's fair to mention that Ortiz is doing all this while getting pay the minimum salary. At 6'4" this dude is a toletero, not a base stealer. [/B]
I should leave David Ort'ez' alone because he's been a great addition, as you pointed out, for nothing. However, there's a reason people weren't kicking his door down, and it showed in this case - first time all year in my notice; he doesn't hustle and thinks he's better than he is. Even I could tell that by watching him play for Cibao.

Nomar is the best clutch hitter this season, last season too, and probably a few before that as well. Ortiz is having a great year and I'm thrilled to have him.

However, the fact is that he's been hitting mistakes all year. Sliders that don't slide, cutters that don't cut and curves that don't curve. He CAN hit a fastball for sure, but there isn't a major leaguer that can't. I'm not really knocking him though, it's his job to hit mistakes.

Understand, I don't want to take anything away from him, but if you'd take him over Nomar in a clutch situation, well, then I'm going to have to excuse myself and see if that dishwasher wants to play dominoes again.

Last edited:

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
You are wrong in just about everything you said and that's ok, I have no problem with that. but please explain this.......

CLEFF.QUOTE.........."Dolores, if you somehow made it to here, please STOP reading and click "atras"

Why did you called me Dolores? and what's with the business of
clicking you "atras"??? for papito's sake man, let's not go that far.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Re: Re: Mr Negative meets Mr negative

Gelmi-an said:
-Wrong about the "socializing" hotel-bar thing.
From Tuesday's Boston Globe:
"In Toronto, Yankees infielder Enrique Wilson, who played with Ramirez for the Indians from 1997 to 2000, told New York reporters he socialized with Ramirez Saturday night after the Yankees pounded Pedro Martinez and the Sox, 10-7, in the afternoon."

This horse is glue.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Red Sox

I feel bad for the Red Sox because they are cursed. I am sure of it after what happened in 1986. They are cursed to never win it all. Not in our lifetimes and probably not ever. The team they have now has more than enough talent to win it all but they have Manny and Pedro to create sideshows and distractions which will interfere with their run at a title and lead to their demise (again). It is just the curse manifesting itself in a different way. Well, at least Red Sox fans can boast the last triple crown winner (YAZ) and the greatest hitter ever (Ted). You also have a heck of a shortstop you should be proud of. I love his competetive fire. Just dont be upset when you dont win again this year. It aint gonna happen. Not this year, not next year, not ever. At least you have the Patriots.By the way, how is Lawyer Milloy doing?
Larry

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Funny Pib!!!.

"Missing in action" alright!!!

Just working out all the kinks before I head out there...
don't get much 'puter time anymore...

But I read sometimes...

This thread caught my eye because I love baseball...

Did you guys know Manny was fined a day's pay for not showing up for his doctor's appointment on Sunday?

Guess how much....over $97,000 USDOLLARS!!!!

Good for whoever made that decision!!! They should all be fined for any little thing they do...sore throat, infection....whatever...he doesn't play with his mouth...

I've seen and partied with some of the Marlins here in Miami, they get drunk off their asses and then go play the next day...they are so hungover they can't tell right from left.....and sometimes make great plays just like that, but most of the times that's when you see the mistakes...People think "Oh, he must be having a bad day"......bullshit...they should have a curfew like soccer players do when in playing season!!!

Just a bunch of crybabies if you ask me!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cleef... You Dominican BASHER... You don't knock anyone else on the TEAM other than the Domcans?

Boston can't win because of the curse of the Babe and thats all there is to it. Get over it and stop bashing Domcans since the curse came in before they entered baseball.

Pib... I love when you talk baseball to me!

Delores... I wish you talked baseball to me!

bye bye

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Settle down

I bashed Mo Vaughn and John Valentin relentlessly, Clemens too.

Go to CT1.com (connecticut), NJ1.com (jersey) and Bush1.com (texas) and you'll see my rants there ;)

Curses are for people of rank, and tea sipping old ladies with too much time on their hands - or miserables like us who post on message boards.

I guess it's the boogey man that's passing strep throat around?

LONG LIVE DAVID ORTIZ!!!
(he's due for the case of the sniffles any moment now)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I see more than I need of your rants here let alone have to chase all over the internet to find more. You must be back in school by now and frustrated that you can't teach or something.

Too bad you are not Delores!

I did have Pib talk baseball to me...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ESCOTT,
Easy The "Dominican Bashing" complaining.
This website is called DR1. It is about the Dominican Republic. If any bashing will happen here it will be about Dominicans. As soon as you start posting about people from other countries here you get admonished. Watch me start a thread about what an idiot Jose caseco is and see how long it lasts here before it is closed.
So good or bad expect people to discuss Dominicans here. Perhaps you would be happier if you post some threads about Dominican Ball Players who aren't an embarassment to themselves or to the DR.

BTW Sosua is still a dump with nothing to do!(Chat room reference)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Well Tony I am sure everyone will take your comments from where they come after knowing you for a while so Sosua will live on:) No one here thinks that you are opinionated and everyone thinks you are rational and open to discussion! LOL

Man cant you get my sense of humor yet? This is Cleef we were talking about here ya know.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I am sick and tired of these flag wavers

It seems that true born Dominicans cannot say anything bad about any Dominican. Imagine if I were German or Italian? I would be crucified by my Dominican pen pals here.

If I attack Haitians, my Dominican friends say I am a bigot. I have been attacked for trashing Canucks, Cubans, and even Santiagueros. But one thing is for sure....I am an equal opportunity basher.

Manny Ramirez is a failed experiment. By now he should have been the best player in baseball. But the man has no brains. I am sick of this guy. He never produces when my other pal Pedro Martinez is on the mound. I am sick and tired of Pedro. He makes me nervous. He has not learned how to pitch. He is afraid to put the ball in play and thinks he can strike everybody out. This is why his arm is in bad shape half of the season. David Ortiz is just a journeyman who is having a good season for a mediocre player.

I am only tuned to baseball because of Sammy Sosa. I bashed him for his corked bat. Then gave him the benefit of the doubt. But he is to me, Dominican baseball personified. He is Dominican baseball...period. The rest are just there for the sweetening.

I only care about every Sammy Sosa turn at bat. If he hits a home run, I am happy. He hits them with cork, aluminum or wood. He can hit the shot put 450 ft. 3 of the longest homeruns this year have been hit by Sammy. He has the only 500 ft. homerun this year. He hits to all sides, unlike a Giant who only hit to a short right field fence. The rest is bull. This is the only Dominican who will make us proud in many years in comparison to other world class stars. Look at this man. He is having his worst year in a decade, yet he has 32 homeruns while missing an entire month. He is only 4 homeruns away from the second leader in that category, which have all played all their games. He had the cork bat incident, problems at home, a bad toe which required surgery and lots of pressure to come up with an unprecedented 4th. 60 homer season. There is no player alive today who will achieve 3 60 home run seasons. Not even Alex Rodriguez is capable of such feat. Barry Bonds will never live the day to see something like this. It may never be achieved again. Not for 30 more years. Nobody else playing alive has the power to do this. The first thing you have to do to start with is to hit 60 home runs once. It took Barry Bonds almost two decades to do it. Mark Mcgwire could not do it 3 times. Babe Ruth came close after 20 years. So who has been born with that capability today?

Even if you are born today with the Sammy factor, it would take you almost 30 years to get close. If you are in the minors today, first you have to be a rookie, pay your dues for five years, like Albert Pujols, then pray you can get to your first 40 homer season. Then it would take you another ten years to see if you can at least get to 50 and your first 60. Of the new crop, only Alex, Pujols, and Carlos Delgado are capable of only matching Sammys 50 homer achievements. I dont believe Delgado or Pujols have a chance. Rodriguez shows no sign that he will hit 60 anytime soon.

Forget about fake Dominican Felix Sanchez, Wanda Rijo, Juana Arrendel(at best 8th in the world), Pedro Martinez(who cant pitch a full game), Manny Ramirez, and big mouth Amelia Vega. These are all midgets. Super Dominican is Sammy Sosa, who is a shoe in for the Hall of Fame and will replace Jimmie Fox, Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson this year and the next and later shoot down Barry(steroidboy)Bonds, Willie Mays, who got to 660 homeruns adding to his last 60hrs by playing like a miserable old man without pride with the Mets, Mark McGwire, then the Babe and Hank Aaron. If Sammy stays healthy, I bet on him to be #1.

TW