illegal Dominicans in Puerto Rico?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am told that quite a few poor Dominicans enter Puerto Rico illegally, seeking a better life. I'm looking for any kind of information regarding how things work out for those people in general, and what their legal status is. Obviously much depends on the individual, but in general, as would be the case for a Cuban in Florida, does it result in more opportunity, or do the legalities make life impossible? - D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Some drown at sea,some are "dropped Off" on an island

off the coast of Puerto Rico where they are picked up by US Immigration for a FREE airplane ride back to the DR! Some spend from a few hours to a few days in Puerto Rico before being caught and sent back,Puerto Ricans inform "La Migra"as to where to find the Dominicans.Their status is "Illegal Undocumented Alien" ,and they are sent back to the DR.Their status is nothing like a Cuban who "Sets Foot" in Florida! They may be fleeing from a corrupt,foolish government,but not from a totalitarian dictatorship like Cuba!!! Cris Colon

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
They are illegal aliens and if found deported..

I have a Dominican friend who went to PR and stayed 6 months until he could get to New York and has lived there for 11 years with no papers..It is done all the time but risky..many die at sea and the Puerto Ricans probably do turn them in to Immigration also. It is a price many are willing to pay to be in the USA...Pam

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
and I am willing to bet that..................

....in his "Heart Of Hearts" he was a lot happier when he lived here! That he would come back,except he can't,and he would be looked upon as a huge failure if he doesn't come home and buy a house and just play dominos!CC

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Probably right CCCCCC........

He and his wife work for a little more than min wage in NY..Are rarely home when we call and probably wish they had stayed in DR..Life is hard on the Dom people who come to US with nothing..Just imagine their struggles...:( Pam

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am concerned about a family that is about to make this leap. I think it's a mistake - but it's not me. Are social services available to them - emergency medical, etc? Do the children have rights to education and eventual citizenship? Just curious. - D

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Tell your friends...

Find someone to sell them SSN's that is what the local Mexicans do..They all have them and work for awhile and move on before the SS office finds them. I rented a house to some Mexicans for the summer farming season last year and when I cleaned it out I found MANY letters from SS office asking for verification of the SSN they were using to work...it was no good but worked until the job ended..then they move on..Sad life for a family... so tell your friends to stay in the DR! :( Pam

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I agree, it's very sad. I can't get involved; I've taken on too much responsibility already. Thanks for your responses. I guess life has to play itself out - or you could say they're working out their Karma. Oh well...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Tell your friends...

goatfarmnga said:
Find someone to sell them SSN's that is what the local Mexicans do..! :( Pam

Aiding and abeiting Social Security fraud and illegal immigration is a felony not to mention immoral. The best thing for you to do id to report them to the authorities before they make the mistake

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
No one would aid them...

I spoke to a major emplorer of Mexicans and they told me what happens with the Mexicans..You hire them if they have a SSN for work and you can not prove it fake until later..By that time they have migrated to another state..If it were not for these Mexicans ALL of my farming Neighbors would be unemployed...I wanted Danny W to tell his friend it is safer and a better life for them in the DR than to live illegally in the US..they would probably be poorer in the US than they are in DR..Pam

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
."""I am told that quite a few poor Dominicans enter Puerto Rico illegally, seeking a better life""

Dominicans who go to Puerto Rico do so as way of getting to the US. Some folks take the 'yola (boat) and have no idea what they are getting themselves into. PR is part of US but make no mistake, this is a very dangerous place were drugs, murder and crime are a way of life. expecially for undocumented illegal Dominican inmigrants who are often unfairly looked upon in that country. I've heard horror stories about 'yolas full of people that have been sunk by the PR coast guard on purpose then watched with amusement those who can not swim die.

I am Dominican and it makes me sad/mad to see how some 'compatriotas risk everything for a dead end job that at best pays minimum wage salary. The situation in the DR is not that bad. When there is a will, there is a.....

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no:"PR Coast Guard"!!!!

The United States Coast Guard patrols the coast of Puerto Rico.I doubt that they sink the "Yolas" and watch the people drown.Thats why they don't let ME patrol the coast line!! Cris Colon:mad:

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
Re: There is no:"PR Coast Guard"!!!!

Criss Colon said:
The United States Coast Guard patrols the coast of Puerto Rico.

But how could I forget about them white devils??

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I know of a woman who tried to make her way to PR via Yola, not only did she have to fight (with a knife) tooth and nail not to be raped the yola overturned and she couldn't swim. She was saved by a woman from La Romana and instead of going back to her village she turned around and jumped in the next boat out and made it....this was about 15-18 years ago.

She know is a resident of Panama has a U.S. visa and makes frequent trip to both the U.S. and DR, this was her only means of feeding her 5 children after her husband was "accidently" shot and killed.

To say the least I respect her for all her hard work to sustain her family unfortunately her child have been raised by the Grandmother in an extremely disfunctional family and without any really motherly or fatherly figure around... in the end the kids are going to struggle through life....

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
immigration

I met a lady in Honduras a few years ago that had her green card and was allowed to live and work in the U.S. She said when it was all said and done she ate well in Honduras and had her friends around her and enough time to enjoy life. In the US she existed. She preferred poor and happy in Honduras to really poor and miserable in the US.
I guess it would be like me as a gringo moving to the D.R. without a pension. With out the social network you need money. I can live and make it anywhere in the U.S. I would have ahrd time making it in the D.R. without my pension.