Info on building home out of Quioba Tree? Sp?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about building a home with the Quioba tree? Not sure how to spell it but sounds like Ki-O-ba. Any info on the use of the tree in homes will be appreciated. Thanks! :) Pam

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
the name of the tree is CAOBA and is a very precious wood this is the mahogany in english.. It?s very expensive but it?s an elegant and long lasting wood .It?s the national tree here in DR..
If you build a house on that wood you?ll get a very fine one (of course it?s always depends on the design of it)

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Thanks Lissa!

Just spoke to my Brother in Law in DR and he is having a live tree he purchased..(weird I know!) He is having that tree made into fancy doors etc for a new home he just had built and suggested we do that when we get there..I had no idea it was Mahagony,which is beautiful etc. Thanks again, Pam

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
How?

I am not sure how you can do that. It is the national tree, it's beautiful wood, and certainly much furniture available here is made from it. But I also know it's a protected tree. You can not cut it, or trim it, if you have one on your property or you will get a visit from the forestry inspectors and police and you will go to jail.

We have two here at Xanadu, one is right right outside the bedroom, another on the fencline. Someone came by while we were away months ago and hacked the lower limbs off the one on the fence line and an inspector was there the police within days threatening everyone in sight.

There must be proper rules on farming the trees, or harvesting you would think but I don't know what they are. As it is I would be afraid even to do any serious trimming of one! But I am sure you can't just buy some land, and cut down all the Caobas there to build your bathroom doors.

Tom (aka XR)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't touch that tree!!

The Caoba/Mahogany tree is a protected species and there are serious problems involved with cutting one down.

Besides, it would make LOUSY doors or furniture, since it would need three or four years of curing!.

Places like Madesol, Ochoa and others import enough caoba to make your furniture or doors.

Please tell your brother to leave the tree alone!....

HB

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Wow I did not know that!

Of course my brother in law is in a campos area..He just said he bought a Caoba tree..I laughed and thought OK..I did not know all that protection stuff..I will just forego the custom stuff on my home then..I hate to cut down mature trees myself..Thanks Tom, as usual a wealth of GOOD info on DR1..I could see me cutting down a tree and ending up in jail..explaining THAT to my family would take the cake for my adventures in life..:) Pam

PS..I will call him today and ask him not to cut the tree...Had I known about the tree I would have said something then..I just had never heard of it that is why I asked..I imagined it would be something like Teak or something and no big deal to use..:( I do not do anything environmentally unsound.. BELIEVE Me I am a recycle/litter freak....

Last edited: